New to indoor growing. Need help please

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hick said:
well, I see the same o', often quoted, misconception here. I'll agree that cfls 'will' produce some decent buds if properly utilized. BUT... they only consume less energy by providing "less" light/lumens/energy producing light for the plants. cfls actually consume "more" energy to produce equal lumens than hid/hps.
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54867 <---

Don't allow yourself to become discouraged 'bean'.. there's a learning curve that we have ALL been through. But these guys will have you on the inside lane, hammer down in no time...;)

:yeahthat:

beantickler said:
Well this is disappointing... How come there is a bunch of information at several websites saying CFL lighting is a good choice as long as you have the plants within inches of the bulbs? They also recommended using this Miricle grow ** for beginners... ***? lol... Is it a necessity to start all over or can this 1st project be salvaged?

The info I got from the internet was to use 6500k during veg stage and replace at least half with 3000k for flowering. I'm going to have to stick it out with my light setup for right now. I just don't have the funds to spend right now on proper lights and a ventilation system...

What can I do to keep this project alive? Outdoor growing is so much easier it seems... I'm getting discouraged...

You do not have to start over, but you are at a disadvantage. I am sorry that you got such bad info, but you did. In addition, like the others, I must say that almost all of what Benocide said is false. I guess that that is part of how this kind of misinformation gets creedance. But just saying something does not make it true. We, however, can back up all our claims.

You are using as much electricity now as if you had a 600W HPS, but you are getting less than 1/2 the light. I suggest that if you really want to grow inside, that you tighten your belt and save for a HPS--it will pay for itself in electricity savings over CFLs. Yes you should use the 150W HPS--that gives out as much light (and better light) as about 6 of the CFLs and costs less to use--150W compared to 216W (6 36W CFLs). You should also be running your veg lights 24/7.

Anyone who started growing with CFLs and then stepped up to HPS can tell you how different the yield is.

24/7??? I have read 16-20 hours... I set mine at 18 a day... Is 24/7 what everyone here runs? Doesn't the plant need some down time?

beantickler said:
24/7??? I have read 16-20 hours... I set mine at 18 a day... Is 24/7 what everyone here runs? Doesn't the plant need some down time?

From my limited knowledge during the vegetative state you keep the plants on 24 hour light (ive heard some people use a 20/4 split). When you are ready to flower the plant you would swap it to 12/12.

Of course with autoflower strains you just keep them under 24 hour light.

One of the more experienced growers will correct me if im wrong im sure :)

beantickler said:

Well, you have read wrong. Marijuana is in a class of plants that do not need or benefit from dark time. In fact, quite the opposite it true. The plant will grow all the time it has light and stretch when it doesn't. A plant vegged 24/7 as opposed to 18/6 will be bushier, have less stretch and more internodes (budding sites). While many think that running 18/6 will save energy, it is false savings. You are simply extending the veg time and creating a plant with more stretch and less budding sites.

Sorry, but no, I recommended passing on those. I do not recommend the metal halide lights. They put out substantially less lumens than the HPS and are not the best spectrum for flowering. In additions, the reflectors suck, so you will need reflectors anyway. Some of these bulbs cannot be hung horizontally. I would look for a good deal on HPS and pass on those.

Latest posts

Back