New to LED

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are lots of folks on here that use LEDs. Im sure they will be chiming in. Welcome to the Passion.

How much you can spend makes a difference. High end LEDs get pricey, low end LEDs are ‘ok’ for the most part. A lot of folks on here are running mid-price-level lights and get excellent results. My LEDs are older, were $100 or under per light(I have 3) and ‘blurple’ but suit my needs. I wouldn’t buy anything but the white light ones if I ever buy more. Seems Mars Hydro and Spider Farmer have good results. Search this forum for those to see what people say about them.

I run CMH, LED, and HPS...each has their attributes...I feel HPS is the king of trichomes but the other 2 do a fine job...photontek makes one of the best if not the best LED light on the market but it's pricey...depending on the desired results and budget you can go crazy...

I run CMH, LED, and HPS...each has their attributes...I feel HPS is the king of trichomes but the other 2 do a fine job...photontek makes one of the best if not the best LED light on the market but it's pricey...depending on the desired results and budget you can go crazy...
Would running a 150w HPS along with two ~130w LED lights during flower help with trichomes?

Would running a 150w HPS along with two ~130w LED lights during flower help with trichomes?
It's really all about spectrum and what your LED lights bring to the table. Like Oldfogey said, it's really about budget because your professional grade LED lights have it all and no other lighting is needed. then your middle of the road lights like mine, suitable for the little guy like us, work great.

I started off with 600w hps in a cool tube for years and years. living where I live, heat issues were a big headache. LED's elimanted this issue. and some lights, like my Mars Hydro, allow you to locate the ballasts outside the tent, very cool.

Be sure to get one with a dimmer switch and also check out smaller COB lighting for extra lighting ..

wishing you the best of luck and let us know what you decide... interesting.

Mars Hydro TSW-2000.. I can get you 10% off Mars Hydro equip.
6.. (2).jpg

It's really all about spectrum and what your LED lights bring to the table. Like Oldfogey said, it's really about budget because your professional grade LED lights have it all and no other lighting is needed. then your middle of the road lights like mine, suitable for the little guy like us, work great.

I started off with 600w hps in a cool tube for years and years. living where I live, heat issues were a big headache. LED's elimanted this issue. and some lights, like my Mars Hydro, allow you to locate the ballasts outside the tent, very cool.

Be sure to get one with a dimmer switch and also check out smaller COB lighting for extra lighting ..

wishing you the best of luck and let us know what you decide... interesting.

Mars Hydro TSW-2000.. I can get you 10% off Mars Hydro equip.View attachment 316341
I might have to take you up on that man. The TS3000 has my attention.

You wouldn't believe what a regular 2x4 commercial grade led light did for my peppers and lemons I had in my storage room. It fking shocked me. I had peppers everywhere and blooms all over my lemon bushes.😳 it was an extra light we had left over from a job.
I took the plastic lens off the light and put it 12" from the canopy. They are strip lights not tubes. Bright as a mother fker. I couldn't believe it. I was just trying to keep them alive out of the cold. My Hibiscus were even blooming🥰

you really don't want to get too much hotter...I had heat issues until I built my new room...if you're at 80 degrees now and have hot summers you may just have to stick to the LED's...I like the finish the HPS adds to the other lights...

you really don't want to get too much hotter...I had heat issues until I built my new room...if you're at 80 degrees now and have hot summers you may just have to stick to the LED's...I like the finish the HPS adds to the other lights...
I'm in winter so temps ain't an issue. I was actually able to turn off my space heater lol. I shoulda been more clear cuz what my high azz meant was should I go down to like the mid 70s since the HPS is on? I know 150w ain't much, but back when I used it, everyone was always like keep temps about 75ish.

I wish the golden glow from it could be spread out more. Right there in the middle, I can see the trichomes on some of the smaller fan leafs that have a pretty golden shine.

mid 70's is as good as you could wish for...I have a 3 ton unit coming out of 14" steel ducts, I keep it at 78 degrees but when we had that cold front blowing thru last week I hit 60 degrees with the lights on...tall ceiling are a growers best friend...I like being able to stand on my ladder and look down on my plants to view the canopy...a sight to behold...

That cold front hit us pretty hard here too. We got down to -2 with wind chill down to -27. My heat pump was doing all it could to keep the house at 68. Looking to find me a pellet stove. Thanks for the info boo. I can do mid 70s easier than 80s so good deal.

Latest posts

Back