New with questions....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobbak67

bobbak67
Reaction score
Hello all...learning alot from all of you!!!!

Just a quick history, My buddy gave me a plant just before the flowering. Its about 3.5-4' tall and and about 2' wide!! It is an AK-47 and for sure female. It was grown from a clone bought at a clinic. My buddy has a great setup with HPS and tons of ventilation. I put it in my "closet" with 5 4' fluro at 6500k and two CFL at um..the flowering kelvin, soft white? Anyway, I put it in on a 12/12 cycle and have two 120mm computer fans running 24/7 at 85 cfm. Closet is 5' tall x 2' deep x 3' wide lined with the dull side of foil.

1. 5 days into the 12/12 and it seems like the "smell" is getting less potent as a few days ago.

2. I can see begining of budding, should I clip off the large fan leaves now for more light penetration?

3. FOXFARM BIG BUD formula, good or bad?

4. What nutes are suggested? I dont have any yet and am going out Saturday to get some. My friend used flora grow, bloom, and micro. Should I use the same or can I change?

5. When can I expect some major budding!!!????

THanks to all in advance. :D

PS Ill get some pics up soon.

bobbak67 said:
Hello all...learning alot from all of you!!!!

Just a quick history, My buddy gave me a plant just before the flowering. Its about 3.5-4' tall and and about 2' wide!! It is an AK-47 and for sure female. It was grown from a clone bought at a clinic. My buddy has a great setup with HPS and tons of ventilation. I put it in my "closet" with 5 4' fluro at 6500k and two CFL at um..the flowering kelvin, soft white? Anyway, I put it in on a 12/12 cycle and have two 120mm computer fans running 24/7 at 85 cfm. Closet is 5' tall x 2' deep x 3' wide lined with the dull side of foil.

1. 5 days into the 12/12 and it seems like the "smell" is getting less potent as a few days ago.

2. I can see begining of budding, should I clip off the large fan leaves now for more light penetration?

3. FOXFARM BIG BUD formula, good or bad?

4. What nutes are suggested? I dont have any yet and am going out Saturday to get some. My friend used flora grow, bloom, and micro. Should I use the same or can I change?

5. When can I expect some major budding!!!????

THanks to all in advance. :D

PS Ill get some pics up soon.

The smell will get worse. (or better.. depends how u look at it.)
NEVER clip fan leaves... unless they are 50% dead some yellowing is ok. The plant uses the energy stored in them to make big buds.
Foxfarm is a very good product...
Any hydroponic nutes work very well... FF/DNF/advanced/general... any kind is good basically.
Budding will show by the 21st day of flowering.. the next couple weeks you'll see the good stuff... everyday, overnite you will notice difference in the size of buds.

Sweet thanks...

It freaked me out that the smell became lesser than a few days before. Will all the leaves start dieing on my as the plant buds? Will it just become buds on the stalks?
Ill try and get pics tomorrow for everyone to see what Im asking about!

Thanks

Hello Bobbak, in answer to your PM, I checked out your questions and it seems you're already in very good hands with KADE, one of our best growers. The only suggestions I could offer on top of what you've already been advised is that you need to get a MINIMUM of 3,000 lumens per/sq ft. of canopy over your ladies. The light you have is probably about half that. It will make a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE difference in the size of your buds. 5,000 lumens is best, but you can make do with 3,000 if your short of funds. Anything less than that, and the size of your buds will be in the same ratio.

Also, the fan leaves are supposed to stay on the plant. Lower ones may die and fall, but the ones anywhere near the top where light hits them should be alive and well.

Just to second some very sound advice; NEVER take sun leaves off unless they are at least half dead. At half dead, the plant is sending hormones to the plant to heal it instead of growing new leaf. This takes nutrients that should be used in a better way. This can cause a slow down in growth while the plant trys in vain to heal an already dying leaf. THEN and only THEN you can snip the half dead leaf off with a nice sharp pair of sissors. The plant will then stop wasting nutrients trying to heal the dead leaf and will spend them on making new growth or buds. Remember, NEVER clip leaf unless it is at LEAST half dead.

Stoney Bud said:
Hello Bobbak, in answer to your PM, I checked out your questions and it seems you're already in very good hands with KADE, one of our best growers. The only suggestions I could offer on top of what you've already been advised is that you need to get a MINIMUM of 3,000 lumens per/sq ft. of canopy over your ladies. The light you have is probably about half that. It will make a HUGE, HUGE, HUGE difference in the size of your buds. 5,000 lumens is best, but you can make do with 3,000 if your short of funds. Anything less than that, and the size of your buds will be in the same ratio.

Also, the fan leaves are supposed to stay on the plant. Lower ones may die and fall, but the ones anywhere near the top where light hits them should be alive and well.

Just to second some very sound advice; NEVER take sun leaves off unless they are at least half dead. At half dead, the plant is sending hormones to the plant to heal it instead of growing new leaf. This takes nutrients that should be used in a better way. This can cause a slow down in growth while the plant trys in vain to heal an already dying leaf. THEN and only THEN you can snip the half dead leaf off with a nice sharp pair of sissors. The plant will then stop wasting nutrients trying to heal the dead leaf and will spend them on making new growth or buds. Remember, NEVER clip leaf unless it is at LEAST half dead.

Hey thanks for the reply and advice.

I will NOT snip anything unless dieing!!!! I unjderstand about the lights but to compensate I have them vertically surrounding it and one directly over the top. THis is until I can afford better lighting. The plant is very healthy and is flowering everywhere.

My main reason for asking the "prunning" question is because I have seen pictures of plants about to be harvested that have 0 to a few fan leaves, they are all thin branches of bud with the leaves either gone or barely sticking out of the buds. Do they just fall off or what?

PS. Thanks KADE!

bobbak67 said:
Hey thanks for the reply and advice.

I will NOT snip anything unless dieing!!!! I unjderstand about the lights but to compensate I have them vertically surrounding it and one directly over the top. THis is until I can afford better lighting. The plant is very healthy and is flowering everywhere.

My main reason for asking the "prunning" question is because I have seen pictures of plants about to be harvested that have 0 to a few fan leaves, they are all thin branches of bud with the leaves either gone or barely sticking out of the buds. Do they just fall off or what?

PS. Thanks KADE!

I find it really depends on strain and conditions... I've never had a leaf fall off while flowering... I'm growing skunk#1... most of the pics you see of buds are the top of the plant.. or already semi trimmed up.

Latest posts

Back