Newb suspects Nitrogen def

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lemonyfresh

Reaction score
Please show mercy. I tried to trouble shoot my plant but I don't want to make things worse. I have a 24hr drip hydro, 18/6 lighting, it has been in the setup for a week to the day. Growth has been good imho. But for the past two days the new growth has been light green to yellow. I have been keeping the nuts coming but to be honest I really don't know when to add more so I add 2 tsp of grow and 1 vigor every other day. It wouldn't suprise me if I have over nuted. Good air flow and temp is 70-74 degrees. Lighting is provided by two 24" full spectrum "aquarium/plant" fl bulbs.

Thanks in advance.

help_me.jpg

Babies look a little young for nutes...

What size reservoir are you diluting them in?
What are the NPK ratios given on the nutes?

I thew the plant in to primarily make sure the system was sound. An initial run. I'd hate to see it tank before a week in the system. It had spotty lighting during germination; It wasn't properly germinated under a controlled environment. It was beside my terrarium... Stringy little fellow. It was about 7" when I put it in. So it is buried. I'd say it is about 3 weeks old. It probably shouldn't be alive, huh?

5gal submerged into a 5gal reservoir. 3gallons of water I'd say.

8% N
grow is 1.40%
vigor is 6.60%

This is from FutureGarden. No particular reason.

Thanks for the reply.

The first question should always be, "What is the PH?"

So, what is the PH?

Excessive amounts of N would appear to have different affects, but I wouldn't continually add more nutes until it gets a little bigger. Just because your water is being taken up, doesn't mean all the nutes are leaving the reservoir. The plants are small, and their roots simply can't take up that much yet.

Try this link to help diagnose your problem. It is hard to tell over the web, but you have access to the actual plant with some good photos from this website.

http://www.greenmanspage.com/guides/plant_abuse.html

I agree with AB, check your PH. This can cause lock ups, burns, and many other problems that make it look like deficiencies.

If problems persist, keep posting and someone can help you.

well, in absence of a digital meter I used an aquarium test kit. It showed between 6.0 and 7.0.

pH is a little high then, but not too high for there to be an N def. Ideally the pH should be 5.8. How was the root system looking before you tossed her in your hydro system? If your roots weren't established well before going into hydro they could not be able to supply enough nutrients to the plant... Leading to deficiencies. To quickly fix this problem, change out your res. with 1/4 strength nute solution and make sure the pH is as close to 5.8 as possible. If you do that, you will know everything is by the books is perfect and you should be able to get some good results within a few days...

The root system was not very established at all. I checked this morning and it is still growing.
When changing the water in the reservoir would it be okay to use the ph down solution from my aquarium test kit? Or do I have to use a specific type of ph adjuster?

Thanks for the help all!

Latest posts

Back