newbie alert

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awesome advice from RoosterTheCog.

@Conn The NPK ratio is the Nitrogen - Phosphorus - Potassium ratios, which usually are displayed on the bottle like 3-5-5. The plants do look like they may be starting to get some deficiencies. I'm seeing lighter color on the new growth, which typically means it is an immobile nutrient. But I do also see some yellowing on the edges of the middle leaves which could be a lack of phosphorus. A lack of that would also include lighter green on the new growth.

You won't be able to correct a deficiency if the Ph of the soil has locked out those nutrients. As Rooster suggests, try and get an idea of what your input PH is, as well as your soil PH which can be done by doing a slurry test. Once that is in order, then you can go about correcting any deficiencies.
Great advice as well Chad
Can you maybe go over the slurry test for him
I have not done one in a while, I think I use to use a coffee filter to filter before testing but not 100% sure now. My mind is old but not yet Gray

Soil slurry tests can be done at home with a few simple tools. Here is a great and quick video that walks you through the process.

One thing that it doesn't mention, is that you should take little bits of soil from different places in your pot. Top, mid, bottom and then combine that into the dry measuring cup. This will give a more accurate portrayal compared to only testing the top of the soil.

The process is simple though. Measure your soil, measure the right amount of distilled water, shake, wait and then measure PH

You'll also be able to do this using PH drops or strips, you don't need the probe they use or a PH pen, although those are ideal.

These are the drops, which can be ordered many places - General Hydroponics GH pH Test Kit

Here are some little soil tester kits for home, they include soil PH, Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium. I wouldn't say these are dead-on accurate, but they tell you which neighborhood you're playing in. -
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000DI84...1826192360.1603226280&tag=shopperz_origin1-20

Soil slurry tests can be done at home with a few simple tools. Here is a great and quick video that walks you through the process.

One thing that it doesn't mention, is that you should take little bits of soil from different places in your pot. Top, mid, bottom and then combine that into the dry measuring cup. This will give a more accurate portrayal compared to only testing the top of the soil.

The process is simple though. Measure your soil, measure the right amount of distilled water, shake, wait and then measure PH

You'll also be able to do this using PH drops or strips, you don't need the probe they use or a PH pen, although those are ideal.

These are the drops, which can be ordered many places - General Hydroponics GH pH Test Kit

Here are some little soil tester kits for home, they include soil PH, Nitrogen, Phosphorus and Potassium. I wouldn't say these are dead-on accurate, but they tell you which neighborhood you're playing in. -
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000DI84...1826192360.1603226280&tag=shopperz_origin1-20

thanks chad

i did the slurry test . the slurry ph is 5.66

i have a ph pen i use for this. my feed has different npk ratio's. i use 1ml per litre of bio grow: 4.3.6, 3 ml per litre bio bloom: 2.7.4 and 4 ml per litre of bio heaven.
Bio Heaven is extremely rich in bio stimulants and amino acids but has a very low NPK ratio of 0.91 / 0.18 / 0.24. The low levels of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium ensure Bio Heaven can be used with both grow and bloom fertilisers. Copied and pasted. lol

thanks chad

i did the slurry test . the slurry ph is 5.66

i have a ph pen i use for this. my feed has different npk ratio's. i use 1ml per litre of bio grow: 4.3.6, 3 ml per litre bio bloom: 2.7.4 and 4 ml per litre of bio heaven.
Bio Heaven is extremely rich in bio stimulants and amino acids but has a very low NPK ratio of 0.91 / 0.18 / 0.24. The low levels of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium ensure Bio Heaven can be used with both grow and bloom fertilisers. Copied and pasted. lol
The 5.66 is right at the very bottom range of where plants are going to absorb the nutrients. So it is probably struggling a little to get all that it needs. If you are able to raise the soil PH to 6.0 - 6.3 your roots will be able to absorb more of the nutrients and this should help increase its look and health.

hi everyone and thanks for all the advice i think ive found the problem but im not sure how to continue. there is a good reason why the plant on the right was drinking better than the plant on the left. (please dont laugh). when you drill holes in the bottom of the pots for run off make sure to do both pots. smh. ive had no run off from the left plant since the start. i put 2 litres of water through the pot ( after drilling a few holes) and checked the run off. the ph is 4.4, im not sure how much more water i can run through the soil. should i wait and put more water through the pot tomorrow or can i put more water through it now??

You may want to repot that plant and see how bad the root rot may be
If the roots were sitting in there for ths long most likely the roots will be all brown and maybe stinky.
See what the others say before pulling it but might be the only thing to save it.

I was just looking at plant in your 1st pics, does she still look the same?
If so maybe try to repot just to see if soil is all stinky (incicates Root rot)
If no smell and no foul looking roots , get PH up and balanced and good to grow,

You may want to repot that plant and see how bad the root rot may be
If the roots were sitting in there for ths long most likely the roots will be all brown and maybe stinky.
See what the others say before pulling it but might be the only thing to save it.

I was just looking at plant in your 1st pics, does she still look the same?
If so maybe try to repot just to see if soil is all stinky (incicates Root rot)
If no smell and no foul looking roots , get PH up and balanced and good to grow,
cheers roster

yeah she still looks unhappy, droopy leaves, wispy buds, ive got fresh soil here no problem trying to repot. ill give it a go

the girl on the left has been repoted. the ph is fine now, so just hope for the best. the plant still looks a bit sad though.

Attachments

• DSC_0306.JPG
    DSC_0306.JPG
    126.3 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC_0307.JPG
    DSC_0307.JPG
    166.3 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC_0309.JPG
    DSC_0309.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC_0309.JPG
    DSC_0309.JPG
    158 KB · Views: 11
Give her extra time she was stressed badly
most likely will be later then your other plants
Were the roots all brown or white and clean?
Very strange indeed

I would also say you overwater it for sure
Hold back on any heavy waterings on that one until you see her bounce back and the leaves start to come back up proud.
But don't stop watering , just let her dry out if you watered after the repot.
You were drowning that plant.

"righty" is still doing ok. hairs on the main buds and top of the plant are turning orange. some hairs lower down still white. buds are mostly sticky to the touch. aroma is beautiful. going to water for another week , then think about cutting it down.

Attachments

• IMG_20201027_161839.jpg
    IMG_20201027_161839.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20201027_161833.jpg
    IMG_20201027_161833.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20201027_161829.jpg
    IMG_20201027_161829.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
"lefty" hasnt had a drink since thursday. but im convinced that some of the buds have grown a little.
DSC_0310.JPG

If you pick your pot up, would you say it feels full, half full or super light? This is compared to the weight just after you watered it.

Latest posts

Back