Newbie and Learning a Lot

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aeode

Reaction score
Everyone told me how hard it would be to grow cannabis from seed so I never deigned to try. Then a friend placed an order and got an additional packet for free so she gave them to me to try. From germination to bud they have been effortless. However, I posted pictures on a few sites and discovered one of my colas had bud rot so I isolated that plant and am watching it. Then today someone pointed out a caterpillar and spider mites. Son of a !@#%^$&*. It was suggested I rinse them in peroxide before I bring them in for drying. Then today I was told that I should go through the curing process which I didn't yet know about. SO MUCH WORK after the fact. I was planning to store them in zip lock baggies before turning my six plants into butter and also to monitor mold and not risk ruining three ounces if something goes awry. Someone said glass jars are best but tupperware will do in a pinch. I live in upstate NY and the temperature is dropping to the thirties at night. My pistils are still 50/50 white and my trichomes are still clear and partially cloudy. No amber yet. I guess I have another two or four weeks. The seeds came from I Love Growing Cannabis, they are feminized and I don't know the strain. I have attached a few pictures of my ladies. These are poor resolution closeups so I could get a peek at the trichomes. WHAT ELSE IS WRONG? Supposedly they are all the same strain but they all look different. Hmmmph.

Attachments

• 1 (4).png
    1 (4).png
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 2 (1).png
    2 (1).png
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 3 (2).png
    3 (2).png
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 4 (1).png
    4 (1).png
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 5 (10).png
    5 (10).png
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Welcome to the forum aeode. I only grow indoors, so I’m not much help. Good luck with your harvest…..may the weather hold out for you. (No early Noreasters…..)

If you are just using your weed for edibles, you can skip the cure process after drying and store your weed in ziplock bags in the freezer until you need it. It will still need to be decarbed before using it in your butter. Don’t skip the drying process tho as your weed will get steamy during your decarb process.
if you do intend on smoking some of it I would recommend going thru the curing process on some of your best buds in a glass mason type jar with a canning lid. If you need help on that process, just ask here. There is a lot of help around here when you run into problems.
i would advise against using any of that bud rot in your mix. You can always use that plant for other things like alcohol tincture our salve. Good luck with finishing up

Welcome aeode! I am also a new-ish grower, but from what I understand, some strains/cultivars have more variation between the phenotype of each plant than others. That may be why some of your plants appear mostly green, while others seem to have a lot of purple in them. I have only grown indoors, so I can't speak to any outdoor issues :) However, I took Crash Magnet's advice and purchased a wifi handheld microscope that finally allows me to really analyze the state of my trichomes (this one: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08MPXNW76?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details). It was a game changer for me, as I was always frustrated with using a loupe (and inadvertently sticking my face into the plant) trying to gauge the trichomes by eye. This nifty microscope works with your phone and allows you to download and edit the pics - and most importantly, magnify them! :cool:

Welcome! Growing weed can be a lot of fun.

Everyone told me how hard it would be to grow cannabis from seed so I never deigned to try. Then a friend placed an order and got an additional packet for free so she gave them to me to try. From germination to bud they have been effortless. However, I posted pictures on a few sites and discovered one of my colas had bud rot so I isolated that plant and am watching it. Then today someone pointed out a caterpillar and spider mites. Son of a !@#%^$&*. It was suggested I rinse them in peroxide before I bring them in for drying. Then today I was told that I should go through the curing process which I didn't yet know about. SO MUCH WORK after the fact. I was planning to store them in zip lock baggies before turning my six plants into butter and also to monitor mold and not risk ruining three ounces if something goes awry. Someone said glass jars are best but tupperware will do in a pinch. I live in upstate NY and the temperature is dropping to the thirties at night. My pistils are still 50/50 white and my trichomes are still clear and partially cloudy. No amber yet. I guess I have another two or four weeks. The seeds came from I Love Growing Cannabis, they are feminized and I don't know the strain. I have attached a few pictures of my ladies. These are poor resolution closeups so I could get a peek at the trichomes. WHAT ELSE IS WRONG? Supposedly they are all the same strain but they all look different. Hmmmph.
Welcome to the forum aeode

Latest posts

Back