newbie from washington state

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

evan_cartech

Reaction score
hey everyone I live in Wa and have been smoking for a while and thought I would try growing to cut cost and have more on hand and get the pleasure of growing my own.

Welcome to MP. It is indeed enjoyable to grow your own and you will save money. A lot of new growers go into this thinking it is going to be far easier than it is. It is not like raising a vegetable garden, especially if you are growing indoors. I recommend that as a first step you start doing some reading to understand what it is going to take to get this plant to harvest. There is a lot of misinformation out there (especially YouTube), so beware. If it sounds too good to be true, it is. For instances, you are not going to be able to grow a pound of bud with a few CFL lights. This does take a certain investment of money to set up initially. So, I would encourage you to become familiar with the biology of the plant and the requirements to get it to harvest. Your budget for this project and the space you have available to grow in will determine a lot. We can help you set up a room, but will need to know what kind of budget you are working with. The actual growing though is going to be up to you. Things that are really important: nutrients requirements during the different phases of growth, good soil mixtures, room environment--temps, RH, etc, how pH affects plant growth, diseases and pests that strike cannabis.

It is a great hobby, but does take, time, love, knowledge, energy, and money.

Hi Even, welcome to mp from another washingtonian. Glad you are here. I am really glad you asked before you started. That way you can be led in the right direction and not wasted money on stuff you don't need. Let us know how we can help.

thanks for all the welcome. I am in the process of building a 4ftx3ftx6ft "closet" only planning 3-4 plants at a time ceiling will be polished aluminum to reflect light and heat walls flat white all made out of 3/4" plywood in my heated garage. I am going to be using LED (haven't picked the exact ones yet) and CFL (2700K 3200 lumens and 6000k 3800 lumens) 7000 lumens so far of lighting. i know that 2000 lumens per sq/ft is minimum I am set up with 2 10"fans one on full time and one that cycles on with the lights (2nd fan was recommended by another grower) I will decide if keeping on depending on temps. as far as grow medium I have heard so many opinions that I don't know what to do yet. im working kinda slow for budget reasons and not in a huge hurry yet but any info would help a lot thanks in advance and again

You are incorrect on your minimums. You want a minimum of 3000 lumens for vegging and 5000 for flowering. And these are absolute bare minimums--most of us run more, some substantially more. A 4 x 3 closet is going to require quite a bit of light. Keep in mind that CFLs cost about twice as much to run as other lighting we use to grow--that doubles your electrical costs each and every month. What exactly is your budget for this project? LED lighting for a closet that size will probably run you around $500-700. If you are on a budget, a 600W MH/HPS may be worth looking at (under $200). You will also need an exhaust fan and a speed controller and later down the road, a carbon filter.

Latest posts

Back