Newbie here!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trommer

Reaction score
3938B708-6AD8-4B2F-9D17-93525338062E.jpeg
50B261F9-5F6C-4CCF-AD97-009758554A2F.jpeg
Hello All! I have what I hope are females growing in my tent. I’m having a difficult time identifying gender after about five weeks of growth from seed. These are autoflower, unfortunately not feminized seeds. I have other photos if these are not sufficient. Please help!

Well, you are having problems because there is no sign of gender yet. What you are seeing here is simply new growth. If these are 5 weeks old and not showing sex yet, I am kind of wondering if they are actually autoflowering. By 5 weeks, it should be starting to flower if it is an autoflowering plant.

Be very careful taking these outside and then bringing them back into your tent again. It is really easy to bring in disease and pests from outside. You will hate yourself if you bring spider mites into your tent. Your plant looks healthy, but really stretched, which usually indicates inadequate light or light too far away.

Well, you are having problems because there is no sign of gender yet. What you are seeing here is simply new growth. If these are 5 weeks old and not showing sex yet, I am kind of wondering if they are actually autoflowering. By 5 weeks, it should be starting to flower if it is an autoflowering plant.

Be very careful taking these outside and then bringing them back into your tent again. It is really easy to bring in disease and pests from outside. You will hate yourself if you bring spider mites into your tent. Your plant looks healthy, but really stretched, which usually indicates inadequate light or light too far away.

Thank you for your reply.
I’m hoping they are autoflower, that’s what I was told but perhaps you are correct. I still have yet to identify gender.

This one particular plant pictured I actually started from seed in that pot, it’s been outside for about a month now.

As for the (5) plants that I took out of the crowded tent yesterday, I plan on leaving outside in the shade for a few days and then incorporate more/direct sunlight to let them finish their life cycle outside. I will attach photos of 2 of the 5 plants that are outside now.

First grow obviously but I’m learning.

Attachments

• 2045AB6D-C481-4680-87E7-A5D72B675359.jpeg
    2045AB6D-C481-4680-87E7-A5D72B675359.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 58
  • 45BE887E-0CCF-468A-80DF-C1C03E28B0A6.jpeg
    45BE887E-0CCF-468A-80DF-C1C03E28B0A6.jpeg
    89.3 KB · Views: 69
Thank you for your reply.
I’m hoping they are autoflower, that’s what I was told but perhaps you are correct. I still have yet to identify gender.

This one particular plant pictured I actually started from seed in that pot, it’s been outside for about a month now.

As for the (5) plants that I took out of the crowded tent yesterday, I plan on leaving outside in the shade for a few days and then incorporate more/direct sunlight to let them finish their life cycle outside. I will attach photos of 2 of the 5 plants that are outside now.

First grow obviously but I’m learning.

First time ‘grower’.
My problem is that I didn’t buy my seeds from a reputable source. I was told they were auto, (not feminized), at this point I don’t even know anymore. The plant pictured is 5-1/2 weeks old, I’m trying to determine if what I’m seeing are pistils or simply new growth.

Attachments

• 864A25D9-FA7B-46C4-8ED9-895AAB982885.jpeg
    864A25D9-FA7B-46C4-8ED9-895AAB982885.jpeg
    69.9 KB · Views: 54
Could be preflowers...it won’t be long before you know...patience grasshoppa....

Sorry, but doesn't look like preflowers to me. Most plants show their first pistils at the intersection of the branches a few nodes down from the top bud. Like 2redeyes said.....patience.

Do your plants have alternating nodes yet? This is generally the precursor to the plant showing sex. The pictures look like they are not. I am thinking more and more that these are not autos. Where did you get the seeds? Were they bagseeds?

Sorry, but doesn't look like preflowers to me. Most plants show their first pistils at the intersection of the branches a few nodes down from the top bud. Like 2redeyes said.....patience.

Do your plants have alternating nodes yet? This is generally the precursor to the plant showing sex. The pictures look like they are not. I am thinking more and more that these are not autos. Where did you get the seeds? Were they bagseeds?

Thank you.
Yes, it looks like beginning stages of alternating nodes. I will post more pictures later today or tomorrow. If the plants that I have are not autoflower, as I was told they were , did I screw things up with my present light cycle; 20/4 for the past 6 weeks? I’m going to take a look later with the loupe to see if there are any changes. I got the seeds online after making a ridiculously low ‘donation’, next time I’m going to order from a reputable seedbank.

This one plant, which I was told is Gouda / autoflower, I started it from a seed planted in FF Happy Frog soil, it sprouted on May 6. The plant appears to be healthy but it’s driving me crazy not knowing if I even have Gouda, if it’s an autoflower, male or female, very frustrating... On my second grow I will buy quality seeds from a reputable distributor.

Attachments

• 3F312A4B-E062-43B7-9C64-7DCC4DBC60B9.jpeg
    3F312A4B-E062-43B7-9C64-7DCC4DBC60B9.jpeg
    75.4 KB · Views: 63
  • 2E195035-C4A1-41C1-A964-A42FE20CC265.jpeg
    2E195035-C4A1-41C1-A964-A42FE20CC265.jpeg
    73.6 KB · Views: 72
  • EBB8446D-8C2D-4D85-948B-B06C0383DB71.jpeg
    EBB8446D-8C2D-4D85-948B-B06C0383DB71.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 66
  • 4D7F8AF8-805B-4830-82E4-DB6C1C3849D5.jpeg
    4D7F8AF8-805B-4830-82E4-DB6C1C3849D5.jpeg
    62.7 KB · Views: 59
Update: Sunday June 23, 2019

Well, thank you all for taking the time to reply to my post.
It turns out that my plants are NOT of the autoflower variety...I contacted the person that sent them to me, (he finally gave me a straight answer), he insisted that I did not specify that I wanted autoflower when I placed the order, I pulled up the email thread and showed him exactly what I ordered, he specified, ‘I’m getting autos in to ship soon’.

I treated these 9 plants as autoflower now for 60 days with a 20/4 schedule. I hope I can change the light cycle to salvage these healthy looking plants, any suggestions? I also have to identify gender, which there are no signs, yet.

I would post the persons name but it’s probably against forum rules.

Not a good first time grow experience but live & learn...

A 20/4 hours light cycle is fine for photoperiod plants. You have not done them any harm. Are you planning on finishing them outside or inside?

I still do not see alternating nodes. However as these are 6 weeks old, you should be seeing signs of sex soon.

A 20/4 hours light cycle is fine for photoperiod plants. You have not done them any harm. Are you planning on finishing them outside or inside?

I still do not see alternating nodes. However as these are 6 weeks old, you should be seeing signs of sex soon.

I’m up for suggestions. I have a 5 x 5 greenhouse I could move them into or keep them in the tent.

Trommer- Welcome to MP -- U need to drop those lights down some -- I don't see a problem with them not being autos -- Flip the lights to 12/12 and sex those things -- Then U can root some cuttings and grow them inside if U want and move the mother plants out side to finish --

How big is your tent? What do you have for light?

If you put them into the tent, you can flip the lights any time you want and have bud in probably 9-10 weeks or so after the flip.

If you keep them outside, you won't have bud until probably Oct sometime. However, you will have a whole lot more of it. I have had plants though that took up 25 sq ft--1 plant. I try to plan on at least 20 sq ft per plant outside. So a 5 x 5 greenhouse might not hold much. Can you just keep them outside not in the greenhouse?

How big is your tent? What do you have for light?

If you put them into the tent, you can flip the lights any time you want and have bud in probably 9-10 weeks or so after the flip.

If you keep them outside, you won't have bud until probably Oct sometime. However, you will have a whole lot more of it. I have had plants though that took up 25 sq ft--1 plant. I try to plan on at least 20 sq ft per plant outside. So a 5 x 5 greenhouse might not hold much. Can you just keep them outside not in the greenhouse?

My tent is only 3‘ x 3‘ / 600W LED. I started these plants from seed and they are decent size plants (about 2 feet tall) but the tent is crowded. I think I’m going to take your suggestion and leave them outside in pots and start new plants, using the tent.

Thank you to all who replied!

Latest posts

Back