Newbie Here

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Engelstine

Reaction score
Good Morning everyone. Let me start by thanking everyone in advance for any information provided, not just my posts but the 100's of other threads! This site is amazing and full of information. I live in MI (Great weather we have here lol Snow on 4/23/20). With all this Lockdown going on I decided to start a small indoor grow with the intention of moving it outside when the weather is better. We bought a large 3+ acre piece of property and I intend to utilize a small area for Veggie Garden and want to throw some MJ plants in there also.

Currently this is my start - see picture. I have started apx 12-14 seeds (I bought a 25 pack of Auto Flower Cherry bomb crossed with Purple Rain). You will see I have a small 9w LED Grow bulb just to get me through some of this gloomy weather here. Is the 65 deg temp ok for the time being? or should I throw a little heater by it? Light is on it 100% of the time for the last 2 days

With them started in the Paper towel rolls I plan to just plant in them in the ground or larger pot. My issue is we are in a Temp house while our home is being built (Done hopefully July) with a deck in full sun all day so I think I want to put them in pots here where I can water and keep an eye on them.

When should I get them out of the little started pods and into a pot? Will a 2 gallon pot be ok for these on the deck? This will be for personal use and just an Activity to keep me busy while quarantined so maximizing out put is not on the must have list this year. Next yr it will be 100% outside and as big as they can get.

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    107.2 KB · Views: 36
Welcome to MP. They can stay in those pots for quite a while. I start mine in Solo cups and let them get well rooted before transplanting.

Thanks for all the welcomes. I made my first mistake yesterday, luckily it may have only cost me one sprout. I added a small space heater about 3 feet away because where they are at it seems to be anywhere between 55-65 so I was afraid it would drop to far. I went and looked at it. It was semi shriveled. I attached a pic, it looks better this morning. Maybe I lucked out. For now I just moved them back to the windows and I will use hopefully sunlight if it decides to come out!

Attachments

• Plant.jpg
    Plant.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 24
65 degrees is ok, but not ideal. Put in a heater till youre around 75 to 80. Your light will only get you through the 1st week or so, then if you dont upgrade, your seedlings will be all leggy and sickly.
These are autos, so transplanting them pretty soon is recommended, like 2 weeks after they break ground. 2gallon pot is fine, your autos tend to flower as soon as they go rootbound. Some think that if you put an auto in a bigger container, they get bigger before they flower and yield more.

Yeah I will get them into the pots soon, it’s generally 70-80 depending on the day but it was been unusually cold and non sunny. Looking at the weather I’m hoping that is all behind us now.

Is there a recommendation for a light if I continue to grown them indoor until summer heat hits? Not looking to spend a ton, just to get me through a month or so.

Yeah I will get them into the pots soon, it’s generally 70-80 depending on the day but it was been unusually cold and non sunny. Looking at the weather I’m hoping that is all behind us now.

Is there a recommendation for a light if I continue to grown them indoor until summer heat hits? Not looking to spend a ton, just to get me through a month or so.
If youre in the 200 dollar range there are a lot of leds out there but none that would flower 12 plants. An hps 1k is in that price range, will absolutely thump in a 5x5 area. If you want an led that will do that you have to spend 500 to 1000. There are good reasons to buy either and each have their drawbacks.

OK thanks! I am definitely not in the market to spend $500-1000. Like I said this was just something for fun, maybe once I move into my perm. house I can setup something better. I looked online and saw some Large -1200watt LED lights that are around $150. I may have to give that a shot. Regarding the 12 plants, I am not sure that Ill end up with 12 at the end. 3 already didnt pop out of the soil. Im sure Ill lose another a two. Really like I said trying to get to the warmer spring/summer of MI. Unfortunitaly I didnt do my homework on the Autoflowering seeds and them needed 18-24 hours of light lol. Not really ideal for outdoor growing in MI haha. But Ill give it my best shot. Live and Learn. Thats why I am here! Thanks all again!

I moved to a larger Box lol. Hoping to keep the greenhouse effect with the Plastic sheeting on top. Have a Fan/Heat blowing in to one side and there is holes on the opposite side for exhaust. I did order a 1200watt LED Full Spectrum light with 2 different settings.

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 5
When should I move them to a larger container? I was hoping to get them a little bigger in what i have them in. They are about 2inches tall and appears to be popping out leaves 5and 6.

Attachments

• BFD3AD2D-3696-4CB7-8EF4-5F706F6DB5C1.jpeg
    BFD3AD2D-3696-4CB7-8EF4-5F706F6DB5C1.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 23
When should I move them to a larger container? I was hoping to get them a little bigger in what i have them in. They are about 2inches tall and appears to be popping out leaves 5and 6.
Let them get a couple of nodes on them, the plant them in their permanent home.

Welcome Jac. What's your interests? Curiosity?, getting a fun hobby and control to be growing the best available? Good advice and grow tips? There are some real experts around. Have fun exploring.

Do these look stringy? The stems are about 2inch tall. Today is the 6th day since coming out of the soil. After looking at more posts I think I need to move my light closer. It’s about 5 inches from them. Currently during the day I move them outside because it is so sunny. At night I move them back in.

Attachments

• 8593ECA4-D036-4787-8BA8-D4440F4AD00D.jpeg
    8593ECA4-D036-4787-8BA8-D4440F4AD00D.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 5CB609F7-A4FA-4B2E-9D35-E39B1242B768.jpeg
    5CB609F7-A4FA-4B2E-9D35-E39B1242B768.jpeg
    56 KB · Views: 18
Welcome to the fun and games here at MP. Good growing advice is available. Just ask and someone will answer. And it always helps to have a green thumb.

Do these look stringy? The stems are about 2inch tall. Today is the 6th day since coming out of the soil. After looking at more posts I think I need to move my light closer. It’s about 5 inches from them. Currently during the day I move them outside because it is so sunny. At night I move them back in.
Yes they are a little leggy, bit dont move your light closer, they get that way from taking them outside. You should just leave them in one or the other.

Latest posts

Back