Newbie.. How Am I Doing?? :)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
agreed.. "1 pot--1 plant"... is always the best option.

I think you may take a chance on killing or stunting seedlings like that, as roots can allready be intertwined. I would write it off as a lesson learned, believe me, your not done, there are many many lessons, lol.

the chef said:
IMO, growing 2 plants in 1 medium is a bad idea! Roots need space to grow not only downward but sideways as well! Although i have seen it done sevral times with good outcomes i've seen more hermied and eventually one goes dominant and kills the other! Seperate early and have 2 healthy instaed of the hassle of trying and possibly killinbg one or more of your ladies! By transplanting one he can skip all those extra steps and veg normal without having to force anything early to flower.Bad idea!
The Chef be knowing what he be talkin bout mang!!!!!!!!!

HTIDHILLY said:
HEY .... cheers evey1 happy with the post's more welcomeing :p im going to seperate the two in one pot today hopefully my bad hehe, iv got to many plants for my set up lol there femanized 2 so :s going to visit my local hydroponics mann today maybe price up a small cfl set up for a friends house... wats you view on cfl?? do they give out heat? do they use much electric? i no nothing about cfls lol all research i done been round the normal hid and ballst??? (i think ) ;P .... cheers

LOL--my views on CFLs. These are the facts on CFLs lighting. CFLs will grow fine bud. However CFLs are the most costly of all the lights we use to grow marijuana. Lumen for lumen, CFLs will generally cost more to purchase initially (bulbs, sockets, reflectors, splitters, cords). They will cost about twice as much in electricity every single month--CFLs typically put out about 62 lumens per watt, HPS put out from 100-150 lumens per watt. They will run as hot or hotter than HPS and produce substantially less bud. You need decent ventilation regardless of the type of lighting you are using.

Also, I want to say that the thing that gets more people busted than everything else put together is telling others. It is better for absolutely no one to know you are growing. I believe that it was a mistake to let your friend know you are growing........

i will 100% be trying to seperate these girls tomorrow despite.. there worth the shot they look the most helthy and best looking :( lesson learned tho.. i thought clfs used less electric? and gave out less heat? i was thinking after these girls done ill have more exp with wat im doing etc, start a 15 plant cycle on a low key i tell no1 my business.. 1 clf in seedling/rooting cubbord, 1 maybe 2 in veg area and a 600w hps in flowering 5 plants in each area? obv ill vent it cool it right etc etc... use my own cuttings all being well

HTIDHILLY said:
and cheers lord am poooping it now about the smell haha :s first set up all teething problems.. iv got a carbon filter its not gr8 though connects to ducting u see comein out top ov tent... but when i ziped tent up list night and removed filter like godess told me it all sucks in like the top sucker to strong for the inlet fan :s my temps are high n am gettin annoyed lol urgh...

As for the negative air pressure... that is a good thing, but no need to overdue it. A cheap fan speed controller will let you dial that exhaust fan in a little better.

You say you are running a inlet fan as well as exhaust? Seems overkill to me in such a small tent. I would just run passive intake, and use the exhaust fan to pull air through the tent.

Here is a quick shot of my flower tent... can't see the intake in this pic, but it is just a 6" duct coming into the floor.
View attachment flower tent1.jpg

so with yours it sucks through the carbon filter passes the light (cooling it i gues?) up the duckting through the exhaust fan and out the tent yes? just with a passive intake? (a peace ov ducting through say the bottom side hole ov tent just createing a inlet pipe basicaly but without a fan?) if so i have done that and it defo sucks air in so might be on right lines now? but i have also got a small inlet fan on the other side working its socks off :) my temp seems to be advrageing 80f is that ok? it was 90 b4 lol, your view on CLFs? my earlyer questions? cheers

yes that is how my system is setup, I get away with running just the one exhaust fan and it works just fine. You can touch the hood and it is cool.

My view on CFL... hhmmmm, I wouldn't use them myself. Not saying that you cant grow with them but as hemp goddess pointed out facts are facts. CFL definitely produces heat and really the only time I've ever even considered them was for a cloning chamber.

T5 or MH for veg and HPS for flower is what I will run.
I've got a 8 lamp T5 that rocks for veg, why use cfl when there are so many better options? Unless money is the concern of course, but then if money is a concern this hobby will eat you alive. lol

na moneys not that bad and im in to it now no turning back ;) and i was under the impression from wat i read on info with cfls there low energy low heat and brill for seedling and veg :s i no hps brill for flowering and ill be useing a 600w dual spec hps for them through flower just thought cfls be good for other stages save electric etc etc .. disappointed now :( i also didnt know the carbon filter went inside the tent i have my exhaust sucking direct from tent down ducting on the outer and in to carbon filter in my room not tent.. with 1 passive inlet now inside along with my lil inlet fan blowin its socks off otherside :S

My first choice for vegging is T5s. They put out about the same lumen per watt as MH, but produce way less heat.

You do not have to locate your filter inside the tent. There are many different ventilation configurations that work.

I would get rid of your little inlet fan--it may actually be counterproductive.

ill have a look at t5s then :) also liked the idea ov self ballasting on cfls lol.... no inlet fan atall then?? just say two passive holes and my exhaust?? cheers

lol...
"Forcing" flower is not a big deal on that container with the 2 seedlings. If you expose it to twelve hours of light a day it will flower eventually. If you only have the one light going, just take the one planter with the 2 plants in it out of the grow area and place it in a dark spot for the other 12 hours. Since its only one planter, it wont be too difficult. The problem is that you will be married to that 12 hour time schedule, so this may not be feasible. By "forcing" plants your just exposing the plant to a light schedule that will cause blooms, however the plants physiology wont do that process until its ready too, and that comes with plant age. In the mean time with a 12 hour light schedule the plant will not develop the roots structure that a 18 hour plant will, thats all I meant.

2 plants a container will work, just not a common practice, I have done it several times with no issues, but Im sure each plant would have yielded more, if they had their own homes. I typically do this with extra cuttings and consider them bonus projects, so if I take 20 cuttings but only needed 10, I will use anything over the 10 clones as pet projects like this. Havent had any hermie on me yet, but that doesnt mean the root stress couldnt cause it. Where as some strains (from what I heard) can hermie if you sneeze on them.

I have grown as many as 3 plants in one container with the idea they get lst'ed and pruned out for future clones. When you go to flower, you for sure will want one per container for max root space and max yieldness as previously said "its the best option".

Here is a recent 3 plant per single container that I had going, it was going to be vegged another 3 weeks and then cut down to nil for future babies, roots trimmed and replanted.
View attachment 000_1102.JPG

vdog said:
2 plants a container will work, just not a common practice, I have done it several times with no issues,[/ATTACH]

I have flowered two or three plants in the same pot, but these were clones of the same strain and the same size. The problem here is that he is dealing with seedlings, so the sex is unknown. If you leave them together to flower and one is male and one is female, it will be too late to seperate them easily.
The plants can be speperated now with zero problems. It is how I do my clones. I fill a plastic container with 1 inch of dirt, place the clones in their rockwool cubes in the dirt, then add more dirt until the cubes are covered. The clones root and grow together under the soil but it is easy to seperate them when young. You just pick them up and shake them gently until the dirt falls of the roots, piece of cake.

If you look at the first pic you can see what I mean about the plastic container with the clones in dirt. The second picture is the underside of the container showing the roots growing. Tomorrow will be day #15 for these clones and I will pull them out and pot them. The reason I put them in dirt like this in one container is because the rockwool cubes will hold their moisture this way for much longer. In other wordsthis setup in the pictures, once I take the clones and put them in the container, will probably not be touched for two weeks. No water, nothing. It's my lazy-man's cloning set-up. Put it in your closet, take the clones out two weeks later ;) I will check them at one week and sometimes add plain water if the soil is dry. When I did clones in just rockwool, the rockwool would dry out quickly and they had to be watered every couple days even under a humidity dome. Also, the exposed rockwool would start growing green crap on it. I have a much higher success rate this way.

View attachment clones-in-dirt 004.JPG

View attachment clones-in-dirt 006.JPG

Some of you guys/gals are really good at that, Im skeptical only because I destroyed 80 dollars in new genetics doing the same very thing you mentioned, however, I dont think I used a ginger process as you did. Sensistar, couldnt he do the following, if one is male and the other is female, cut the balls plant down, and dose with hygrozyme.

vdog said:
couldnt he do the following, if one is male and the other is female, cut the balls plant down, and dose with hygrozyme.

Sure, but then you end up with a certain percentage of your soil in that pot being nothing more than dead root mass. The size they are now, and as far away as they are from each other in the pot, I highly doubt the roots have even really grown together yet except for maybe a little in the bottom of the pot. I would go ahead and correct it now, shouldn't be too tough.

IM SEPERATEING MY BBYS !!!! :) **** IT HAHA they look healthy ill keep u guys posted on how it ends :p LOL

seperated them today went well :) they looking good but we'll see in morning, i got some more photos today but carnt find my cabel lol update tomorrow when ive fetched my new set up... yayyy haha, im going to be doing cloneing for the first time sunday gonna need help :) ive got rock wool, jiffys, few sharp blades and a 125 cfl, humidity dome clonex and root it, wat else will i be needing?? .. cheers

hey its been a wile since i checked in i got loadsa pictures now my babys looking the bees knees!!! not as big as i thought but bushy ;) prob due to burying a lil ov the stalk when i repotted like advised ;) ill put some pictures on asap!! on week 4 at min changeing to week 5 thursday think ill wait untill wk 6 for swithch over?? wats the best PH ??? i been going for a 6? but been told 6.5 better ? im growing in coco please help ;( cheers

kool!.. we like "bees knees"! ;)

Latest posts

Back