Newbie is my plant to skinny?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dontknowmuch

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,
I am a novice grower. I found some seeds so I planted a few and have one plant now. The plant is now about 45 days old and is standing 15 inches. I was wondering if there is a way to make it more bushy, It is just long and skinny. Or if it is ok the way it is now?

I know nothing and am trying to research all this the best I can.

Thanks.

P.S
Just so you know my backround a little, I do not smoke, My wife has chronic pain , So I was hoping I could grow enough for her to smoke.

green 010.jpg

green 011.jpg

that is extremely skinny... you need to have light/lights a lot closer to get those branch nodes closer and get a fan on it to thicken up the stem. That looks like 3 nodes... u could have the same in something 3" tall or shorter depending how much light the plant is getting.

Welcome to MP dontknowmuch. What kind of lighting are you using?

ok please don't laugh , I am using a Plant Gro N show, 50w/120v. I have very limited space and I probably will only grow one plant at a time.

Thats not enough light. The reason you are getting nodes so far apart is because the lack of light. Plus, when you start to flower, that light won't be nearly enough. I don't even know if that plant could hold flowers or grow any, with the limited amount of nodes it has and how skinny it is.

its not the lack of light its light SPECTRUM! that bulb is an incandecant and is worthless to cannibis growers....you need to buy an hps light and trash that plant u have now- if you throw it under an hps it still wont yeild and it will most likely fall over if it doesnt turn male. u can use an hps for veg and for flower so you need to start some new seeds in good soil- throw a 150-250 w hps in a closet somewhere and buy a couple oscilating fans....leave the door cracked and have a fan blowing air inside- and one blowing on a low setting where plants will be- after planting seeds keep the light low to reduce strech. feed with organic nutes as its harder to burn/kill plants whith these types of nutes....something like kelp- seaweed and fish emoulsion.

on top of all that , if u wish for a sucuessful harvest you must READ READ READ. faq and grow books. buy one at the book store and research! if you dont put any time or money into this hobby you wont get eanything out of it!

FAQ time bro :D get er done!!!!

thanks for all the tips, until I get the right lights I will keep on with this one for the heck of it and see

If you have the ability to build a custom box, I would do it. You can make use of a very small light in a small box. The only thing I think you have to worry about is whether or not your one plant turns female - I think it would be better to start out with a few. As for cheap lights, ebay is a great place to look so long as you are mechanically inclined enough (and have enough common sense) to wire up your own light. I personally use an old dresser I converted (inconspicuous) about 18"x32"x44" for two plants with a 175 watt metal halide and a 150 watt HPS conversion bulb. You get the same light output because the HPS is more efficient, and all told, my complete light/box/fan setup cost around $175 or so. I too am doing this for another, so I went about it as frugally as possible.

hey i have a setup up for you its the same one i use you could go to your local flurosecnt retailer and ask if they have a 2ft or 4ft fixture. i have a 4-ft 4bulb fixture at 32watts each bulb two warm tubes and two cool white. plus one 27 watt cfl and a 32 watt cfl they seam to like this set up .but if you have no space then go with the cfl buy like 4-6 of these at 32 or 27 watts they should put you in a good spot until you can get a good hps or mh fixture. the shop buy me is give a an old 17h mh fixture for 20$ so you never no until you ask. if they ask you what your using it for tell them for your moms veg garden. oh and don't use that grow bulb becuase i started out with the same one and it did me no good the nodes went from 4in's use the the grow bulb to 1in or less using the fluorsenct tubes and cfl's i hope this will help you

keep growing the more you grow the better you get

Thanks again for all the info, I will get some cfl's today. I was wondering if I could cut off the top of my plant under the middle node and transplant it? Would that process be like cloning?

You probably could clone it, but you don't even know if it is male or female yet. I agree you should start with new plants, but it is possible to get your plant going with more light and a little TLC. I have a friends plant that looked like yours, only a little shorter. I took it and babied it and eventually I got a good plant out of it. Kept her as a mother and used her babies for two years! Turned out to be a killer plant. So ya, the easiest way would be to start over, but if you fell in love with this little plant and she is female, you could possible make her work. Just rambling now, good luck and read as much as you can.

TGT

well this is my first plant so it's sentimental or maybe I am just mental ,In either case can I start flowering now?

I will start all over from scratch , after I build or find a grow box, now I need to research how tall it should be. But for now I will see this one through to the bitter end

update,
I transplanted her and fed her some foxfarm nutes, have been flowering for 23 days with three 23w 2700k cfl bulbs.She stands 24 inches tall and I would say there might be an 8th on her. It's not much, but I am pretty darn proud of myself to make it this far.

IM001151.JPG

IM001149.JPG

IM001153.JPG

IM001155.JPG

hey looking good you will be smoking in no time

dontknowmuch said:
update,
I transplanted her and fed her some foxfarm nutes, have been flowering for 23 days with three 23w 2700k cfl bulbs.She stands 24 inches tall and I would say there might be an 8th on her. It's not much, but I am pretty darn proud of myself to make it this far.
Tell ya what man for the lights you are using she looks damn fine dontknowmuch. :aok: If you can get to Wally World they have some 42 watt CFL's that have like 2,700 lumens each. ;) Keep up the great work man she's gonna get fat over the next 3 or 4 weeks. :D

nice its a girl.i thaught for sure that it whould be a male

I am fully impressed:bugger: . I never thought that it would have so much. But for what it was, I must say it was worth keeping around. Now you know how easy it is to grow. But you'll find how hard it is to grow well. And the good news is, you some sensie going on. Now, I want you to go to youtube and look up "ultimate grow dvd". You will find some things in there by Jorge Cervantes about growing, harvesting, making hash, judging pot... he is a professional when it comes to pot. Watch some stuff, like others said get a book. Look around here and see what kinda set-ups people are using. I just like to garden honsestly. I can't smoke much at all. When I used to smoke I would only use an 8th on a lil over a month. I got all kinds of plants growing around my house, and not just talkin strains. Good luck, you know some basics, learn some more and live. :bong2:

Ok, about a week before you think your going to harvest stop the nutes. It wont taist very good if it's in the buds. Look into that, gotta go....

LOL..wow man, that is damn impressive how you salvaged the plant I gotta say. I woulda thrown that plant away..congrads.
Yea Im like laylow also, I was a smoker and I just recently quit and I think Im gonna just stay pot-free. I kinda like the feeling of not smoking. For me anyways, I sleep better at night. Ill probably just garden (very stress relieving) and gather the harvest to give away or something lol.

But once again man, good job~

Latest posts

Back