Newbie needs a little help!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smokinjoe

Reaction score
Hello all! Nice forum! I just started some plants a few days ago. They are now about 5" tall. I used the little disc type pots that you add water to and they expand. Only thing is they are getting tall and leggy. Should I put them in different pots before I plant them? I live in Michigan and it's still a little chilly at night here. My plants are going outdoors as soon as it warms up a little. Thanks in advance and keep smokin!

hi smokin'..welcome aboard.
Those peat disks won't sustain life long for the plants. I'd get 'em into some quality organic soil ASAP. Whatcha' runnin' for lights?..Flourescents(tube) need to be close, less than an inch, and a fan blowing a gentle breeze over, under, around and through them will reduce that stretch and strengthen the stem.

yea im in chicago & its still cold at night out here too, so my babies stay in my closet at night with a flourescent light on them.its been very rainy & cold the past week:(

will they be ok if they spend like a week without a fan on them? its been in the uper 40's so i dont want to take them outside till it gets warmer out

A simple online search will give you the "Last frost date" for your area. Thats when plants hould be placed OD.
A fan is essential in keeping your plants healthy and strong. A week without good air movemebt will result in weak stems, possibly even too weak to support themselves.
Plants going OD also need to be "hardened off" gradually to the harsher conditions before transplanting

The spot I have picked out for my plants requires me to keep them low growing.
I've been reading some of the threads for topping but how tall should my plants be before I begin to top them? Thanks for the quick response so far! :)

You can top a plant when it has as little as 5 nodes.
When topping, always make the cut mid-way between nodes. It's best to use a razor blade rather than scissors.

Latest posts

Back