Newbie starting a closet grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k2c3po

Reaction score
Hi, I am looking to start a small autogrow and want to go cheap, yet efficient. I like mainly Sativa strains, or hybrids that are sativa dominant.
I'm looking forward to learning all about autoflower plants.

Welcome to MP... I hear our auto section is a little antiquated, but there are other auto growers that can help you out. It is very hard to grow dank on the cheap. I understand wanting to, but the bottom line is it is much easier if you have the right equipment.

Are you doing auto's cause your in a hurry? Are you sold on only doing autos? I love satori as a sativa dominate. Not an auto though.
Glad you here k2c3po.

Actually, I am NOT in a hurry. I am just looking into setting up my grow area. I have very little space. I thought maybe the autogrows would be for me just because I have such small space, but I am after seeing most people aren't interested in them, I am hoping to find a way to grow other types.
I hope to have my grow set up by the end of the year. Lots of things to do. Lots of things to learn.
I really like this strain Azucar. I cannot find any info on that strain. Great Sativa.
THanks for any info you can help with. I am starting from scratch.

THere is a beginners thread you might peruse, and we are all about helping new growers so let us know what ever you need. It helps to ask first... before you buy..we might be able to save you some money.

How small is the space you are talking about? What is your budget? Clones can give you almost the same turn-around as autos and have a lot of other advantages.

Give us some more info about your space and budget and we can help you set up something.

I never understood the point of doing auto when indoor?? WHen indoor you can choose when you want them to flower... why waste time on a strain that does that regardless if you can do it yourself? I feel autos are more for an outdoor type of grow setup, but that's just my personal preference.

Welcome to MP k2...if you are trying to do this "on the cheap" then most likely lighting is going to be your biggest challenge. Cheap lights don't grow Bud very well or they do but are not very efficient energy wise so they cost more to run, and in case of CFL's they tend to run just as hot as HID lighting when you have enough bulbs crammed in there to get the lumens you need. If your grow is a ways off I would try and save a little extra for lighting and ventilation. Those two things will most likely have the biggest affect on your outcome both yield and potency wise. jmo

forget those nay sayers about the auto strain. they are about as antiquated as the auto section they have here. true you wont get a pound from them as you might from a photo but the quickness makes up for that. autos finish in about 12 weeks or less and I have grown both the vast and fast and the newer thc bomb auto getting about 4 ounces per plant under the t5. I did try the vast and fast under a 1k hid and saw no difference in weight but not the thc bomb as of yet. I will agree if you looking for weight and have time then sure you will get more weight from most photos if that's your thing. as far as potency its comparible to the photos. I don't care what the nay sayers say. everyone that has tried what autos I grow love the stuff and I am not giving this stuff to kids. the auto strain, depending on the strain, is every bit as respectable as most photo strains and should be given attention. I am sorry but I am smoking some good stuff at 12 weeks verses most photos after 9 months. and I get to sterilize. earlier. if you decide to try the auto way give me a shout and I will help you out. disregard the nay sayers, they are just not inlightend yet. lol..

and I am NOT tring to be disrespectfull but I love the autos and getting tired of everyone saing stay away or it isn't worth it or the photos are better. since your antiquated thread about autos was put up in what 2007? they have made major strides. hell, maybe all I need is 4 ounces every 12 weeks! I would rather grow a different strain every 3 months then 1 strain to last a full year. that gets kinda dull in my book. and I can always trade what I grow a lot more frequanly then the photo growers, so I get diverson more frequently. I see nothing but pluses.

see. you see nothing but negatives. makes me wanna turn into a cat and just scratch your eyes out. LOLOL. just kidding. I would love to update the Autos section but have no clue whom to ttalk to about doing so or how to go about it.

and I am not tring to dis it just saing its very outdated

that I can do. but I hate to waste my time on a on a thread that will likely just fall into no mans land, sort of speak.

I would love to see you do an update of the antiquated auto. Just write it out, send it to me in a pm, I will proof it for you and it will be submitted.

sincerely,
antiquated rose

Anyone who says they like/love Autos because of how fast you can go from seed to harvest must not have experienced the joy of running from clone. With the right strain and some growing skills you can just about match or even beat Autos for crop turn around. Plus you get the benefit of keeping your genetics via clone.

There are a lot of people getting 4-6 ounces from "think different" auto, some are getting a half pound. I may try some outdoor next year could be fun.

I will look into creating a new auto thread. wont be an overnite deal tho. lots of info out there.

why coulnt you do it now? I would love to see how these go outside, haven't seen one yet. I bet the yield would be great under the sun.

autos finish in about 12 weeks or less and I have grown both the vast and fast and the newer thc bomb auto getting about 4 ounces per plant under the t5.

Would love to see a pic of your 4 oz auto....? how big was the pot?

it was a 3 gallon pot in cocoa under t5 the first one. the 2nd grow was under 1k but still only yielded 4 ounces. I don't have the pice anymore but I will try to get the pic from the forum I did it at and post here. they only got to I belive 28 inchs.

forget those nay sayers about the auto strain. they are about as antiquated as the auto section they have here. true you wont get a pound from them as you might from a photo but the quickness makes up for that. autos finish in about 12 weeks or less and I have grown both the vast and fast and the newer thc bomb auto getting about 4 ounces per plant under the t5. I did try the vast and fast under a 1k hid and saw no difference in weight but not the thc bomb as of yet. I will agree if you looking for weight and have time then sure you will get more weight from most photos if that's your thing. as far as potency its comparible to the photos. I don't care what the nay sayers say. everyone that has tried what autos I grow love the stuff and I am not giving this stuff to kids. the auto strain, depending on the strain, is every bit as respectable as most photo strains and should be given attention. I am sorry but I am smoking some good stuff at 12 weeks verses most photos after 9 months. and I get to sterilize. earlier. if you decide to try the auto way give me a shout and I will help you out. disregard the nay sayers, they are just not inlightend yet. lol..

and I am NOT tring to be disrespectfull but I love the autos and getting tired of everyone saing stay away or it isn't worth it or the photos are better. since your antiquated thread about autos was put up in what 2007? they have made major strides. hell, maybe all I need is 4 ounces every 12 weeks! I would rather grow a different strain every 3 months then 1 strain to last a full year. that gets kinda dull in my book. and I can always trade what I grow a lot more frequently then the photo growers, so I get diversion more frequently. I see nothing but pluses.

I am very well aware of autos, and have no problem with them. All I said was I don't get why people grow them indoor when you can control the photo period at will, over a plant that does that regardless... I just didnt get it. I guess for me im just used to and expecting a 2 month flowering, I wasn't thinking of the faster growth period. Which is why I also stated, "thats just my personal preference" just like with your personal preference being towards Autos. No need to come across cocky, when no one ever really knocked autos in the first place.. Kinda quick there to jump the gun.. Although we value shared knowledge and constructive criticism, I feel (with all do respect), you got a bit triggered there and somewhat unloaded some aggression that you apparently have toward people who oppose Autos. But if you look around, you'll see that a vast majority are pro autos... Maybe most the stuff in there is outdated because most people here after many years of growing, are not troubled by another few weeks of growing for a better payout.. Nothings wrong with autos, just most people usually grow regular Sativa/indicas.. Autos are under the genetics of "Cannabis ruderalis" Which is more high in the CBD aspects of marijuana as opposed to THC. Although Autos can produce fairly well in THC around 15%-20% most autos will produce more towards CBD... Of course this all depends on the genetics, however, the point im getting at, is it's usually more beneficial to grow a regular Sativa or Indica or a hybrid of the two, over an auto. You might want to calm down a bit and realize that we are all here to help, not flex nuts... Welcome to MP by the way ;)

it was a 3 gallon pot in cocoa under t5 the first one. the 2nd grow was under 1k but still only yielded 4 ounces. I don't have the pice anymore but I will try to get the pic from the forum I did it at and post here. they only got to I believe 28 inchs.
Wait... 3 Gallons under t5!?!? This seems very unlikely Sir/Ma'am. Common now... were your t 5's putting out 120k lumens or more? Cause theres just no way you could push that much per plant under just a regular set up of t5's..

Latest posts

Back