Newbie tent grow!!!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justanotherfarmer

Reaction score
Hello fellow growers. I decided to step up to the big leagues and attempt a grow that involves me finding a surprise seed and throwing it in some wet paper towels and putting the product of that in what ever premixed potting soil I could find and seeing what happens. I also started a thread on the introduce yourself section but I wanted to get as many views as possible to so I can start to establish my self on this site. Here is my setup

600 watt digital hps/mh with the ability to use 50, 75 and 100 percent of power w/ an air cooled tube
secret jardin 3x3x6 dr90 grow tent
2 6in inline fans
6in carbon filter
run of the mill oscillating fan
2 cheap 1.2 gallon vics humidifiers
1 cheap wireless thermometer hygrometer
1 cheap wired thermometer hygrometer
Using the same bulbs that came with the ballast(free is free and Im not gonna be picky at this point)

Again this is my first attempt at indoor growing so Im pretty sure I got the basics of the grow rig I need....and the main pieces of the rig(the light, and tent) are not cheap....I am a firm believer in frugality but if you grow cheap you smoke cheap but there is always a time and place for being thrifty.

My medium is soil. I got fox farms ocean forest and happy frog and doing a 50/50 mix. I also have some of fox farms liquid solutions bio brew, sledgehammer, boomerang and grow big. I also use or superthrive as well.

They are currently 3 weeks old from seed. I had some over watering and a slight bit of nutrient burn and heat burn(trying to get the light as close to them as possible just took a few days of trial and error and thats how that happend.) So there 2nd week they got a bit stunted but now I think everything is fine and noticing more growth now then ever. I also just feed them a solution of biobrew at 1tsp per gallon(it calls for 2, Im just being cautious) and .25 tsp of grow big. I only used a little less then .5 gallon between the plants, didnt want to over water again. Here are the pics tell me what you guys think.

View attachment DSC00253.jpg

View attachment DSC00251.jpg

View attachment DSC00249.jpg

View attachment DSC00245.jpg

View attachment DSC00242.jpg

View attachment DSC00239.jpg

View attachment DSC00236.jpg

View attachment DSC00235.jpg

View attachment DSC00233.jpg

Your setup sounds good, and your plants look good so far. The plant in the last pic looks like it is developing a little bit of micro-nute deficiency with some yellowing in the new growth but that may just be the light making it look that way. One good rule of thumb for getting the light at the right height is to place your hand over the plants, palm down and just touching the top of the plant. If the light on the back off your hand begins to get uncomfortably warm then the light is too close to the plants. Raise it up until it is no longer uncomfortable to the back of your hand. For a 600w that distance is typically 14"-18" from the tops of the plants.

At this point I would just be starting to feed them as the little round seed leaves are beginning to yellow. Feeding sooner than that runs the risk of burning the new fragile roots and subsequently stunting the plant's growth for a time while it repairs the roots. I also begin feeding at 1/4 strength of what the nutrient manufacturer calls for. Then as I see the plants responding positively I raise the nutrients a little each week Until I am up to full strength. However, with organic soil and feeding, I would think you would go a little lighter on the feeding and focus more on nutrient/microbe teas.

I will tell you one thing that others will repeat, its not usually wise to plant seeds that appear randomly in previous grows. The reason for this is random seeds are almost always the result of herming also known as "selfing" where the female plant generates male pollinators that then give you "femmed" seeds. This herming is a trait that you don't want to encourage as it will ruin a sensamilla crop where you want high quality smokable bud. You will end up with a fully seeded crop off bud that is reduced in potency due to seed development. You can grow it out if you want and you may get some good smoke but most likely it will produce a load of hermy nanners (male reproductive anthers) that will drop pollen and seed up your crop.

Best off luck with your grow. If you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask :)

Thanks for the info. I did this last year outside but didnt put all that much effort so the ones that just say cracked on them are from that batch and they all turned out to be females so Im pretty hopeful about them. They were really good but last year we got hit with like a 10 day rain storm and made them really musty and got mold so I made BHO with it as I was not going to call it a complete waste and it made some great oil and yielded nice.......the ones that are labeled the white are from a hermmie so I am going to let them grow out until first signs of flowering then if they dont show any signs of hermie or male then I will keep them. The Goji og seed came from a bag of really nice nugs and there were only 2 seeds from a 1/4 and only one germinated so Ive got my fingers crossed. I was thinking of letting all of them veg in the tent and then taking a couple out and keeping them short and bushy out side until flowering is complete on others in tent just give more light per square foot. I have my setup running between 70 and low 80s(only for 3 or 4 hours during the hottest part of day) and 35-40% humidity(just got the second vaporizer today and it bumped up to 50% not sure where its going to stabalize haven't had it long enough.) I believe micro brew is a compost tea and I did start feeding them with half stregth. Thanks for reading.

Hi Farmer, and again welcome.
Fox farm is good soil. It is however already nuted. meaning it has food in it to last 5-6 weeks. Don't feed seedlings... too hot.

Green mojo to you and glad you are here. Gonna be a great grow for you.

Thanks for the info. I did this last year outside but didnt put all that much effort so the ones that just say cracked on them are from that batch and they all turned out to be females so Im pretty hopeful about them. They were really good but last year we got hit with like a 10 day rain storm and made them really musty and got mold so I made BHO with it as I was not going to call it a complete waste and it made some great oil and yielded nice.......the ones that are labeled the white are from a hermmie so I am going to let them grow out until first signs of flowering then if they dont show any signs of hermie or male then I will keep them. The Goji og seed came from a bag of really nice nugs and there were only 2 seeds from a 1/4 and only one germinated so Ive got my fingers crossed. I was thinking of letting all of them veg in the tent and then taking a couple out and keeping them short and bushy out side until flowering is complete on others in tent just give more light per square foot. I have my setup running between 70 and low 80s(only for 3 or 4 hours during the hottest part of day) and 35-40% humidity(just got the second vaporizer today and it bumped up to 50% not sure where its going to stabalize haven't had it long enough.) I believe micro brew is a compost tea and I did start feeding them with half stregth. Thanks for reading.

Plants are looking good, however I couldn't agree with Hushpuppy more on the hermies. All females is not a good thing--having an entire crop turn out female pretty much assures us that those seeds were hermy stock. The problem with hermies is that they do NOT show prior to putting into 12/12 nor near the beginning of flowering. The nanners can develop deep in a bud and you never see them....you just end up with an entire crop of seeded plants. IMO, it is foolish to keep a known hermy, but especially for a new grower, who is far more apt to stress a plant. So rather than cross your fingers (it will almost certainly hermy if it came from a hermy), I am going to try and encourage you to get rid of the plants with the hermy genetics. It only takes one to ruin an entire harvest. And I can tell you that after you have had this happen to you once, it is real easy to throw those seeds in the trash (where they belong).

I do not understand this: "I was thinking of letting all of them veg in the tent and then taking a couple out and keeping them short and bushy out side until flowering is complete on others in tent just give more light per square foot." Are you thinking that you can take some of the plants outdoors for 8-10 weeks and keep them short and bushy and then bring them back in and flower them? I am kind of lost here. Doing this will give each plant you have in the tent more light, but not more light per sq ft. I can't tell how many plants you have started, but I would say that you are probably only going to be able to do 3-4 smaller plants in a 3 x 3 tent.

Congrats on beginning your great adventure.

Read as much as you can. There is some great info to be had here

Alright I re read my last post and it was a little confusing, the part about taking plants out of the tent and keeping them outside so let me be a little more clear. I have 10 plants going right now(3 little guys I just sprouted a few days ago that I haven't taken any pictures of yet). I am pretty certain that I cant keep that many plants in a 3x3x6 tent. I mean I can squeeze them all in there but I dont think there will be enough light coverage. So I am thinking about letting them all get to 1.5 to 2 ft tall and keeping them short and bushy and once they all reach a uniform size put a few of the plants out side and flanking them with other plants to hide them. If the plants that are outside are kept short and stalky and they are also hidden by others then it will be very difficult to spot them. Doing that would result in more light coverage for the plants still in the tent and give me something to put right back in my tent when flowering is complete. I hope that cleared any confusion about that part......

As far as them having hermie traits.....look this is my philosophy on this particular grow. It is my first REAL attempt at growing indoors, I do not have the right nor should I expect to get top shelf grade A+ product. At this point in my young grow carrier I need to be concerned with getting good quality equipment and soils and nutes and gaining knowledge. I am more concerned with learning how to read the plant. Now if I get good quality product at the end of the plants life cycle, then bonus but my main goal is to get knowledge. I should also say that I am a huge fan of hash oil so anything that I produce, I will be running into oil. So with that being said I really do appreciate the hermie info but as for now I got to go with what I got after this grow I will get clones as I will know how to care for them and not end up wasting my money on something Im probably going to kill with inexperience. And if I get anywhere near the quality of the buds that the seeds came from, I will be very happy.

Alright here is some pics that I took 2 or 3 days before the last pics I posted. Im posting them so you can see how much progress they made after I realized I was over watering and probably over feeding them. They look pretty sick, atleast some of them do, now they look great....

View attachment DSC00189.jpg

View attachment DSC00190.jpg

View attachment DSC00191.jpg

View attachment DSC00193.jpg

View attachment DSC00195.jpg

View attachment DSC00197.jpg

View attachment DSC00203.jpg

View attachment DSC00207.jpg

New pics that I just took........leaps and bounds of progress compared to last posted pics of how they looked when they were stressed from over watering and feeding.....
the new one in the red cup is only 3 days old and the other two in the foil lined cups are 2 days old.....

View attachment DSC00257.jpg

View attachment DSC00259.jpg

View attachment DSC00262.jpg

View attachment DSC00267.jpg

View attachment DSC00269.jpg

View attachment DSC00277.jpg

View attachment DSC00276.jpg

View attachment DSC00281.jpg

View attachment DSC00280.jpg

View attachment DSC00278.jpg

They are definitely looking better. It looks like they are taking off. Good luck with them. I think you will learn a lot from this grow, and what you learn this go around will definitely help you with the next one. Its hard to watch with experienced eyes, someone make a mistake that will cost them at the end of all their work. This is because we have made these mistakes and suffered the regrets. But the MJ grow learning curve can be long and less costly or relatively short and more costly. But if you don't get frustrated and give up, you will get around that curve and will have some really nice plants and smoke in your future :) We are glad to help you get around that learning curve as quickly and easily as possible. Green grow Mojo for the kids :)

Your plants are looking better. I think overwatering is a common thing with everyone.

IMO, good genetics are as important as your lighting or your ventilation. If you do not start with something good, you are not going to end up with something good. It takes 4 months to take a plant from seed to harvest. What if at 3-1/2 months of that, the hermies pop nanners and you end up with an entirely seeded crop? You can have 3/4 of the weight of a seeded bud be in seeds and when the plant is making seeds, the potency of the bud is affected. As a person who has been growing for almost 35 years, I still am going to encourage you to throw away the hermy stock. I cannot think of anything that would make me grow bagseed now when good genetics are so cheap. You can get good genetics for $50 or so. And if you learn to clone, you don't have to buy more seeds unless you want a different strain.

I think that you are going to find that you are not going to be able to take 10 plants to 1.5 to 2' tall in a 3 x 3 tent, especially if you are going to try and keep then short and bushy. Overcrowded plants will stretch and compete for the light, resulting in tall lanky plants. More plants does not mean more bud. I would say 3-4 plants in a 3 x 3 tent. You will also find that you are not going to be able to put part of the plants outdoors and keep them in veg indefinitely. Let's say that it takes 6 weeks for them to reach the size you want. That would have you putting the plants outdoors about the middle/end of May. The summer solstice will be less than a month away. After the solstice, you will not be able to keep the plants from flowering. The shortening days tells the plant that it needs to flower. So, it will start flowering. Unlike indoors where we control what happens, outdoors, Mother nature dictates most of what happens. Whether you can keep the plants short and bushy is also another question. I anticipate that a 14 week veg outdoors will result in large plants. Bushiness or lankiness is related to strain and it is hard to make a plant do something it is not genetically inclined to. It is far harder to control things outdoors. And then there is always the danger of bringing pests indoors.

You should remove the foil that I believe that you are probably using to reflect light. In truth, foil is a horrible reflector of light and it can tend to get too warm. So, no upsides and a lot of downsides.

You are starting out with great equipment, I just hate to see you using junk genetics. If you were my kid and I was teaching you to grow, I would say to get rid of the hermies. Stay with the tried and true until you get a few grows under your belt and learn how cannabis grows and what it needs. The plants that you put outdoors, I would plan on leaving outdoors. Learn to clone. Read up a little more on the life cycle of cannabis.

Green Mojo for your grow.

Overall they look healthy just stretched out. Lower you lights man. Look at the pics in the beginning of the thread....those were planted cracked seeds on the 12th of last month....I have my light around 13in and its a 600w mh. Other than stretched they look good. I'm a newbie my self so I would follow the advice of more seasoned growers.....Also man you should start your own thread....I don't want my pics getting mixed up with yours. ...people will check it out that's what I did and I already got a lot of good info

Cotyledons don't really matter.....well they do when they first sprout as they kick of the first production of photosynthesis but after the plant starts producing it's first little serrated fingers I wanna call them the first true leaves but I'm not sure if a true leave means that it's generated the cartoon 5 finger pot leaf or if just the first finger is also considered a true leaf....the look fine....just lower light source to the point where if you put your hand palm down it should not be uncomfortable meaning if the back of your hand feels hot the plants will be too hot and don't over feed or water them.....that's a common mistake own that I myself made

Timothy: If you go back to the page where is says general indoor growing and look at the top left corner above the ffirst thread, it says begin new thread. Just click on that and and it will allow you to start a thread that is yours. :)

As Farmer said, You need more light on that seedling as it is a little stretched. Prefferably white 6500k spectrum light. Don't worry about the cotyledon being a little damaged, it is used for ffood ffor the growing seedling until it gets its root system developed. Don't feed it anything but water ffor the first couple weeks or you can burn the roots and stunt the growth or kill it.

Do they look like they are out of the seedling stage and now in veg stage? It is my understanding that when the first 5 finger leaves appear and the classic marijuana leaf is formed for the first time it is a sure sign that you are in vegetative state

Latest posts

Back