Next grow battle plan - good idea?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wantstogrowbuds

Reaction score
Okay, so I just recently completed my first grow and it was a success(kind of). I was hoping for more of a yield but I can't complain about the quality of the buds. Though I have learned a lot. This yield was about 50 grams. Which is absolutely piss poor when you consider I am using a 1000 watt light. Although, I've nailed the problems down and know what to do better next time. I'll list off the things I did wrong and then write up a battle plan to see if you guys agree that this way may be better suited for me on getting a higher yield.

1. Use high quality genetics and feminized seeds - Nothing hurts more then killing 3 male plants and then having 3 more hermaphrodite on you within the next few days. All together this costed me 2/3's of my crop due to lack of seed quality and an undetermined sex.

2. Vegging many plants = smaller plants when the time comes to flower

So, with all the wrongs said and done and admitted, lets start(finally) on my plan of attack for my next few grows.

BATTLE PLAN
-----------------

1. Using high quality feminized seeds - White widow, three plants. Do you know if feminized seeds are known to herm? This is a problem I am trying to get rid of as to not risk anymore failures in yield.

2. Adding a temporary veg room - I will buy some hanging tube lights from the hard ware store. I believe these lights give off about 2600 lumens. Would that be enough for 3 plants to veg in for a few weeks to a month? The closet is roughly 2 x 4 feet. When I move on to the next step they will be cloned and the clones will grow in this room once the other plants are moved to the SUPER VEG ROOM!

3. Vegging them longer in the Super Veg tent - Here is where I will blast them for a month with the 1000 watt MH to ensure these three plants reach a suitable size for flowering.

4. Super Veg room is turned into a flowering room(1000w HPS) and no explanation is needed other than of course after harvest the whole cycle shifts around once again.

Tell me what you guys think

How do you get 50 grams of chronic from a thousand watter? Sorry. If yield was that bad you'd think quality would be to.

i understand the problem of reg seeds i hate culling males unless i'm breeding. i'm thinking you have other problems. i have had bag seed plants put some good genetics away in the past. your talking 1000 watt light. what about your ventilation? what are your temps? are you stressing your plants with the heat from that light to cause the herms? you really need to tell us more about your space and then we can make sure your on the right track. just because you have a big brite light doesn't mean you will have great plants.

Ok, so new beginnings, i love new beginnings.

If you're going to get a veg light, please consider a high output ( ho)T5. They run cool, you get your plants right up there and they aren't real expensive and best of all they do a great job. Amazon has them too.

As far as genetics, what kind of high do you want to achieve? speedy or relaxed or couchlock? Yes feminized seeds can hermi, so can regulars. I have no proof but it seems the feminized can hermi more often. I agree with you, it is really hard to have to throw nice boys away or worse have a hermi.

A breeder i started with and had good luck was Mandalaseeds.com. Lots of seed companies sell their stuff. I would suggust you go read their site.. It is very nice. Great stable genetics that are good to start out with.

Let us know how we can help, and read all you can. mojo for the grow.

We do need to know a lot more about your grow--How large is your flowering space? What were your temps and RH? What did you feed them? How long did you veg them? How long did you flower them? What medium did you use? There are a lot of things that go into good bud. I doubt that genetics was the only thing in play here.

However, I am going to recommend that you change your game plan. I would use T5s like Rosebud mentioned. I would make the 2 x 4 space your vegging area, veg with the T5s and not even veg under the MH. Use the 2 x 4 space to veg all the way through--the T5s will do a great job--other shop light, not so much. Give them 6-8 weeks from seed to veg. Take cuts about 2 weeks before you plan to move the plants to the flowering space and put them under the 1000W. This way you can harvest every 8-10 weeks on the average

Also keep in mind that fem seeds do not guarantee females. Though it is not common, fem seeds sometimes turn out to be full-blown males and they do tend to hermie more often than non-fem seeds. If you do plan on cloning though, the male female thing will not be an issue. If you have a good female you can take clones from clones for many generations.

New beginnings are fun, but I don't want you to believe that this was probably all genetics, because it most likely wasn't. I suspect that you had other issues going on in the flowering tent. For instance, hermies are usually caused by irregular light and dark periods while flowering. So, let's make sure that we can get you where you have a better dialed in space and no hermies!

I like that idea THG. The flower space will be 4x4. Temperature was a little cool but definitely not too hot. The ventilation is good. The medium kinda sucked but I had to make do with general soil.

So, with the T5 light in a 2x4 space, what would the ideal amount of plants be in the situation for maximum growth in their veg time?

Does this look sufficient enough for a light?

[ame]http://www.amazon.ca/EnviroGro-FLT24-2-Foot-Fluorescent-System/dp/B002JQBQZQ/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1432046887&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=T5+grow+light+high+output[/ame]

You never actually have to "make do with general soil" unless you want to. If you are in a large place, you have dozens and dozens of places to get good soil. If you are in a rural area, even better. You should always be able to get great soil and compost in the country. Remember that the medium is the place the roots live. No matter what you do, if you do not have good soil, nothing else is going to matter.

What did your temps run? I have a hard time believing that a 1000W HPS is staying "too cool". Where are you pulling intake air from?

No, that light is not big enough--you need a 4 tube 4' fixture--the 2' won't cut it. . Lighting needs are figured by lumens per sq ft. You want to try and get 3000 lumens per sq ft. While the 4' 4 tube fixture is a little low at 20,000 lumens for a 2 x 4 space, I ran a 4' 4 tube in a 2 x 4 space for many many years with no issues.

Oh, seriously though it was cool in the tent. I don't know how or why. It got hot and humid so I opened windows and added another fan. The room itself was still hot but the tent was cool. Maybe, I should add another fan bringing air into the tent? Or at least a window fan to bring more air into the full room? Anything you would recommend? Did you order your light online? If you did I would go with what you ordered. What should I look for in rural soil?

Either way I'm in this game to win so I'll do basically anything you say :)

They will love you around hear.
Positive vibes bro. Get good genetics and keep it simple and follow the basics. You can do this you got your first run to harvest.

I have found it to be a good thing to find someone who is successful and copy what they are doing, when you get experienced and have success yourself, then your prepared to try different things because you know what changes happened when you changed something.
Good luck and green mojo bro.

Latest posts

Back