Nirvana Northern Lights Low Odor Stealth Grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bombtombadll

Reaction score
Nirvana Northern Lights Fem
Spider Farmer SF-1000 (less than 100 watts draw)
Custom Grow Safe cabinet 1.5x1.5x 3 (yes, my space is tight)
Fox Farm Happy Frog with perlite added
Fox Farm Trio, Cha-ching, Beastie Bloom, Open Sesame, Cal mag.
3 Gallon cloth Smart Pot--raised in saucer.
AC Afinity 4 inch fan.
Hydrocrunch Carbon filter ($35 Home Depot)

Hi all, this grow is complete and I wound up with 60 Grams of pure flower trimmed and dried. All stems have been removed and I have a huge pile (well over an ounce) of good trim to make edibles with. I thought I'd post this "low odor" stealth grow for others that might be stuck like me hiding their grows.

Week 1 Veg (first month a 7 watt grow LED bulb was used, I left the spiderfarmer off)

IMG_0365.JPG

Week 2

IMG_0402.JPG

Week 3 LST bending the main stalk horizontal. (keeps plant lower, every inch matters for me--no not that kind of inch perv)

12_30.JPG

Week 4 (plant has been topped at the 5th node) Two toppings performed on this grow
1_6.JPG

Week 5 (planted off center)
1_20.JPG

Week 6 Second topping two cuts. (The two new stems from 1st topping cut again)
My time lines may be off a bit here with toppings)

1_27.JPG

Week 7 (you can see how she's filling the pot nicely now being off center)

2_4.JPG

Week 8 Trellis Net time. Time to fight the highest bud and keep it down! The highest bud becomes the "king" of the plant and the plant then focuses its energy on that top bud. The trick is to keep all the buds at equal height in the trellis net. I call it "whack a mole"... its a constant fight ! This technique is not to be over looked and will greatly increase your harvest.

2_10.JPG

Week 9 (home made trellis net)

2_18.JPG

Week 10

2_25.JPG

Last edited:
Flower time, Nirvana says 7-9 weeks flower, two grows in I say it's more like 65-75 days.

Week 12 (mistake, lesson learned.) A few weeks after this picture, my plant developed deficiencies. If you can see all the lower growth (flowers) I wound up cutting them all out. I should have trimmed all of the lower buds earlier! The plant did great after removing the lower flowers and my tops plumped up nicely. Next grow, all lower buds get chopped in the first few weeks of flower.

3_11.JPG

Week 13

3_19.jpg

Week 14
_DSC4129_001.jpg

_DSC4153_001.jpg

Week 15 (Harvest at 67 days from 12/12)

IMG_0516.JPG

Last edited:
Very nice, indeed! Was the odor as low as you'd hoped for?

Yes, the odor is manageable with Northern Lights, there is not a lot of skunk or "obvious weed" smells with this strain. Weeks 8-10 flower have stronger odors, a carbon filter is still needed.

I would say this strain passes the "low odor" test. But it's definitely not "No odor". The buds dried have a nice sweet honey, citrus and pine smell, you seriously want to try eating some, it smells that good. I like the fact that I can trim these buds without obvious weed smells taking over my house. Great strain !

Late edit: I was wrong, after 3 weeks curing in mason jars, the buds REEK ! I just popped the top off and Pepe le Peau is knocking at my door looking for love...So, NL is low odor growing, but not while curing, my buds stink bad...

R.jpg

Last edited:
Don't you hate it when growers forget to post a "smoke report" after creating a thread? It's been two months or so curing, here is my review of Nirvana Northern Lights.

I hung these buds to dry for around 5 days in RH of 55% or so, nice and slow. After the original drying, I put the buds into a huge glass jar at around 60 RH burping daily. After the RH stabilized at around 60 RH I dry trimmed and put the buds into mason jars, burping daily. After a month or so, I added 58 RH Humidity packs to the mason jars to "set it and forget it"...

For those interested, I will be comparing my home grown newbie buds vs dispensary purchased Runtz and another strain called Space Monkeys, both costing around 300 a zip.... (spoiler, my NL blows them away by a mile !)

So, I got away with growing NL due to it low odor, but let me warn you, IT IS NOT LOW ODOR AFTER CURING. If I pop the top off of one of my mason jars, my entire house smells like a skunk covered in lemons. It smells good, but is very very strong smelling, much stronger than both my Runtz and my Space Monkeys.

Smoking.... I am an every other day smoker, keeping my tolerance down to conserve weed and to reduce the amount of damage smoking causes my lungs.

1. Northern Lights In a wooden bowl, a small bowl, maybe 1/4 gram, I get very very high. The taste is fresh and lemony. The high is behind my eyes and in my head with a very pleasant tingle... (if you are familiar with ASMR it is like this.). I have never smoked any weed that gives me a high as pleasant as this.

2. Northern Lights 1 bong Hit, similar to the wooden bowl effects.

3. Northern Lights 2 bong hits.----

So, I'm standing in my laundry room, no idea why I went in there. I figured I'd remember what I came in for if I remembered what I was doing before but no luck, I had no idea what I was doing before entering the laundry room. I decided to do something new and start all over. Totally F-ed.....

Runtz --- good stuff, about equal in strength to my NL, but no enjoyable tingles... More of a "pull you down with gravity high". I'm pleased my home grown is competing with this top shelf stuff from DC.... The packaging even says Runtz on it with a little cartoon. Rating 8

Space Monkeys--- Strong, about equal to my NL, but makes me sleepy and gives a slight head ache. Good stuff, But I'll take my NL over this any day. Rating 7

I give Nirvana NL a 9 out of a scale of 1-10. I am very pleased as a new grower! (I would give it a ten but the leaf to calyx ratio is not so great, trimming is a huge hassle)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back