No one ever said bubble hash didn’t taste or smell good

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I discovered French's way several years ago... before you had to confirm your of legal age on youtube...

i normally put mine in the fridge to dry out... then into a ziplock bag and use HOT water from the coffee maker and roll it with a glass wine bottle as the (rolling pin)...

I'd take a little out of the freezer and chop it up and let it get thoroughly dry for a few days and see if the taste got better or worse. If it's better, I'd do the same for the rest. If it's worse, I'd just use the stuff for making butter or other edibles if it tastes too bad to smoke.

Maybe you should try pute's dry ice keef recipe?

Bubba

I'd take a little out of the freezer and chop it up and let it get thoroughly dry for a few days and see if the taste got better or worse. If it's better, I'd do the same for the rest. If it's worse, I'd just use the stuff for making butter or other edibles if it tastes too bad to smoke.

Can’t hurt :). Thanks

That’s what I’ll do next time. I pressed it, like I mentioned, and it tasted great at first. I put it in the freezer after pressed, and now it’s tasting awful

Now that it’s been in the freezer, can it be taken out & at least not get worse?….. I don’t know. It’s a LOT of hash!
I am not sure what kind of pressing you did, did you heat it to the point where you turned it to black hash, which does have a different taste(I usually only do that when I’m working with dry Kief, for instance-after done making bubble hash I dried the used weed on large cardboard PCs & when dry I use it again for lower quality dry sift, I am always amazed how much more Keith is still there, Then put it in a press and put the press in 190° water
Pull the keif out and roll it with a large dough roller— then back to the press again and heated & done black hash !)

Bubble hash, like you I spread out on 25 µm screen NOT CLUMPS, but flat 1/8” or so & Press with paper towels & then place screens with kief on my bud drying rack & Cover gently with parchment paper (just to prevent dust) & dry in dark cool area. But again, I’ve pressed as much water out of it as I could. As long as air can circulate around the top and bottom I personally have never had a mold problem… after drying five or six days I will place kief in parchment packets, put them in my bamboo Asian Steemer after I have created steam and let them sit in there for about 45 seconds to one minute.
Then pull out and roll them with a large roller of any kind doesn’t have to be heated… releaseing all those wonderful Terps & oils…I will roll for probably 5 to 7 minutes… depends on quantity… now I will start to work the keif in my hands, And finally into a log & then compress log into rough HASH ball shape and start rolling away next 20-30 minutes 😳.
((if you have no interest in making balls, simply put your rolled Keif into a press tube, box etc no more heat needs to be applied))

Freezer, i’ve never had a problem with storing herb or hash in the freezer if it’s properly sealed in a mason jar (prevent moisture release) & I usually vacuum pack first, then jar, if I know I can’t use it up over the next year which is usually the case…!!!
Although herb and Hash have most of the moisture removed, you still have some in any product with proper curing. Not enough for mold, but flavor sustainment. You want to preserve this when freezing.
Also, my herb & Hash will cure in dark cool area for Herb-4 months or so & Hash up to one year before freezer time.
But, that’s me everyone has different practices :)

I am not sure what kind of pressing you did, did you heat it to the point where you turned it to black hash, which does have a different taste(I usually only do that when I’m working with dry Kief, for instance-after done making bubble hash I dried the used weed on large cardboard PCs & when dry I use it again for lower quality dry sift, I am always amazed how much more Keith is still there, Then put it in a press and put the press in 190° water
Pull the keif out and roll it with a large dough roller— then back to the press again and heated & done black hash !)

Bubble hash, like you I spread out on 25 µm screen NOT CLUMPS, but flat 1/8” or so & Press with paper towels & then place screens with kief on my bud drying rack & Cover gently with parchment paper (just to prevent dust) & dry in dark cool area. But again, I’ve pressed as much water out of it as I could. As long as air can circulate around the top and bottom I personally have never had a mold problem… after drying five or six days I will place kief in parchment packets, put them in my bamboo Asian Steemer after I have created steam and let them sit in there for about 45 seconds to one minute.
Then pull out and roll them with a large roller of any kind doesn’t have to be heated… releaseing all those wonderful Terps & oils…I will roll for probably 5 to 7 minutes… depends on quantity… now I will start to work the keif in my hands, And finally into a log & then compress log into rough HASH ball shape and start rolling away next 20-30 minutes 😳.
((if you have no interest in making balls, simply put your rolled Keif into a press tube, box etc no more heat needs to be applied))

Freezer, i’ve never had a problem with storing herb or hash in the freezer if it’s properly sealed in a mason jar (prevent moisture release) & I usually vacuum pack first, then jar, if I know I can’t use it up over the next year which is usually the case…!!!
Although herb and Hash have most of the moisture removed, you still have some in any product with proper curing. Not enough for mold, but flavor sustainment. You want to preserve this when freezing.
Also, my herb & Hash will cure in dark cool area for Herb-4 months or so & Hash up to one year before freezer time.
But, that’s me everyone has different practices :)

Thanks for all the good information.
I pressed it with a glass rolling pin filled with water; in microwave until almost boiling. It pressed to dark brown, but not nearly black. Then into the freezer.

I haven’t worked with kief before, though. Haven’t had enough patience (or, energy left after everything, and still more to go) to sift it out *mostly no energy due to illness*. I need to work on trying it. 🥴.

thanks again. I’ll re-read all of this before I make it again.

Thanks for all the good information.
I pressed it with a glass rolling pin filled with water; in microwave until almost boiling. It pressed to dark brown, but not nearly black. Then into the freezer.

I haven’t worked with kief before, though. Haven’t had enough patience (or, energy left after everything, and still more to go) to sift it out *mostly no energy due to illness*. I need to work on trying it. 🥴.

thanks again. I’ll re-read all of this before I make it again.
ever have any questions just ask, wish you the best with your illness.

I’ve seen some people take a concrete or paint paddle mixer I think is best with 2 mixing blades attached to a drill to mix up the ice and herb in the bucket… versus using physical energy. (But, they also sell these bubble washing machines for a couple hundred dollars, That do about all the work for you.)

Here is a pic of a cheap little pastry press I use with kief sometimes (I mentioned in my previous notes) I like it because it’s not too wide like some hash presses & heats all the kief up (then roll once & put back in press reheat & press then put press in fridge for 10 min to cool & eject).

Lower quality kief & higher quality.
The water in the glass jar is heated to about 180 -190f in the microwave, and I only leave the press in it for about 45 seconds to a minute, using the extruder with the one teeny hole in it and a couple round pieces of parchment paper to keep water from getting in to press ! Also if you ever use one of these it’s aluminum not steel so if you ever press the handle to hard will break believe me I know
;(from experience.
6C21F141-F941-4C5D-B6E3-BEEF3F4995D6.jpeg
654EC95F-805A-4583-B727-9686F098B3F3.jpeg
1EB362CF-F177-4C02-86BD-E0F39F925D7B.jpeg
88EF3B5A-1819-4708-97AD-5680EB985893.jpeg
80C51448-036E-461D-B96E-C0AF83E3DBC0.jpeg
5A45C64E-50BA-437D-9A2A-8CB4DE4FC17C.jpeg
BF36DF55-8627-4B36-A015-D8B9584B57F0.png
BD04586A-2756-4012-9635-730BA13F5626.png

Last edited:
Lots of admiration from me.
Some great knowledge here.
I rarely look at any "How-To" threads as it tends to make me envious & I don't have the money or means to try hash-making etc.
Fortunately my humble home grown Lady Jane does the job for me.
Butt.... 😊 I'd love to play around in this arena
Kudos
👍

Lots of admiration from me.
Some great knowledge here.
I rarely look at any "How-To" threads as it tends to make me envious & I don't have the money or means to try hash-making etc.
Fortunately my humble home grown Lady Jane does the job for me.
Butt.... 😊 I'd love to play around in this arena
Kudos
👍
Nothing wrong with home grown lady…
I love these inexpensive little glass 4 hitter chillums they have now, on line cheap
5-$6 ea., or cheaper. (I actually have been smoking more herb now than Hash because of these nice little hitters)

pic

2FC83565-61E7-4970-B096-422E4488129C.png

I realize this is an old thread, but I finally found out the reason for the awful taste. Someone actually mentioned it in either this &/or another thread.

It’s due to the fact that I’m using year-old weed. The first 2 batches I made were from stuff I grew in 2020. They tasted terrible. Then we made some from fresh frozen….WOW, that tasted great!!!!!

Last week we made more from 2020’s stuff, and it tastes bad again. Now, I know. BUT, I still have 31 oz left from 2020 and there is NO way I can throw it out. I have to smoke .35+ gms a night to sleep due to pain.

Due to problems with my grow this year, I only got 38.5 ozs, even though I had four strains! (We had early flowering when they were only 8-12 inches high—NON auto flowering! And, I’ve never seen anything like it. They were stunted and grew strangely. I lost 5 plants, and planted 10 more that didn’t get to grow as much as they should before they started to flower…anyway….) SO, my point is I need it all. I decided to go back and forth, using old and new. That way the new stuff won’t be old by the time I use it 🙂….I’m so smart:cool:…..hee hee.

just thought I’d update my dilemma. No dilemma anymore; just stinky hash.

I realize this is an old thread, but I finally found out the reason for the awful taste. Someone actually mentioned it in either this &/or another thread.

It’s due to the fact that I’m using year-old weed. The first 2 batches I made were from stuff I grew in 2020. They tasted terrible. Then we made some from fresh frozen….WOW, that tasted great!!!!!

Last week we made more from 2020’s stuff, and it tastes bad again. Now, I know. BUT, I still have 31 oz left from 2020 and there is NO way I can throw it out. I have to smoke .35+ gms a night to sleep due to pain.

Due to problems with my grow this year, I only got 38.5 ozs, even though I had four strains! (We had early flowering when they were only 8-12 inches high—NON auto flowering! And, I’ve never seen anything like it. They were stunted and grew strangely. I lost 5 plants, and planted 10 more that didn’t get to grow as much as they should before they started to flower…anyway….) SO, my poit is I need it all. I decided to go back and forth, using old and new. That way the new stuff won’t be old by the time I use it 🙂….I’m so smart:cool:…..hee hee.

Sue how are you storing your weed?
I store in glass mason jars in freezer as well as seal a meal bags vacuumed down of almost all air and into a storage freezer,
a yr later still smokes the same.

While anything is possible, I don't think that's it. It is your process. I have been able to replicate your problem. I just took a small amount of just strained bubble, and sealed it up. Smelled horrible in a few days. I wouldn't smoke that, it's starting to rot

Try this one time. While it's on the pad, fold pad/screen over, with paper towels on both sides gently press out the water. Do not mash it, just gently dab, move wet spot, dab, etc.

Now you have a damp, small raised glob, slice it into strips no more than 1/8 of an inch wide.

Lay them out separated on a hard surface, like a plate. After a day or so, chop strips up into smaller pieces, after day or so chop it up until it's powder, and let finish drying.

The age of the weed has nothing to do with it, unless the weed was also damp when put up and began to decompose.

Bubble should smell good. If it's putrid, it's being processed incorrectly and sealed up damp.

If your weed stinks like this, it may be the reason. I have buds that are older, that I used for bubble just for that reason.

Just once, (unless the weed stinks, in which case I would pitch that as well.) Try letting it dry completely. I think your stink problems will evaporate.

Bubba

I am smoking over year old OG Kush. Not as aromatic as it was in the beginning, but still smells dam fine. I monitored it all the way down to 62% before jarring.

Bubba

Due to problems with my grow this year, I only got 38.5 ozs, even though I had four strains! (We had early flowering when they were only 8-12 inches high—NON auto flowering! And, I’ve never seen anything like it. They were stunted and grew strangely. I lost 5 plants, and planted 10 more that didn’t get to grow as much as they should before they started to flower…anyway….) SO, my point is I need it all. I decided to go back and forth, using old and new. That way the new stuff won’t be old by the time I use it 🙂….I’m so smart:cool:…..hee hee.

You could turn it all into Hash Oil… in your case just black tar oil… using gelatin capsules you buy online…That’s a little coconut oil or peanut butter in the gelatin and that’s a little coconut oil or peanut butter into…gelatin capsule. (that’s what I do sometimes)… it appears to me you need about 70 mg per night.
Approximately 1/3 of a gram of oil…

Assuming your average 20% Thc weed
28gr x 200=5600Mg
5600 / 28=200
200 / 3= 67 Mg dose

Assuming you know all this disregard,
But you won’t have to taste crappy Hash.

🎶😎🎶

Sue how are you storing your weed?
I store in glass mason jars in freezer as well as seal a meal bags vacuumed down of almost all air and into a storage freezer,
a yr later still smokes the same.

I store them in mason jars, however I only have two over/under refrigerators w/small freezers, so I can’t do the freezer. But, I hadn’t thought of the vacuum bags. We have a food saver. I wonder if it would help to store it in them even if I can’t use the freezer. My year-old stuff is pretty brown….. it’s also up in the second story of the garage….as in HOT temperatures, which is the opposite of a freezer. I need to find something else, but only have a small ‘cooled’ area as we are in a temporary house while we build (which has already taken 11+ years, and the shortage of materials is now making it even longer…sigh). But, you’ve made me start thinking of ways to help it.

thanks!

You could turn it all into Hash Oil… in your case just black tar oil… using gelatin capsules you buy online…That’s a little coconut oil or peanut butter in the gelatin and that’s a little coconut oil or peanut butter into…gelatin capsule. (that’s what I do sometimes)… it appears to me you need about 70 mg per night.
Approximately 1/3 of a gram of oil…

Assuming your average 20% Thc weed
28gr x 200=5600Mg
5600 / 28=200
200 / 3= 67 Mg dose

Assuming you know all this disregard,
But you won’t have to taste crappy Hash.

🎶😎🎶

Thanks. I was actually thinking of making capsules to avoid not only the taste, but also the coughing as I have COPD, and before when I used the hot rolling pin on it, for some reason I didn‘t cough when I smoked it but am this time. Either way, smoking is surely more harmful.

thanks.

I decarb and eat my flower on a spoon with Coconut oil or peanut butter. Trying to give my lungs a break.

Latest posts

Back