No one ever said bubble hash didn’t taste or smell good

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SusanneH

Reaction score
Just thought I’d check….

I made bubble hash a few weeks ago, and it tastes terrible and smells as bad! I hadn’t heard anything about it, so I thought I’d ask to see if I made some sort of mistake *don’t see how ;)* to make it do that, but ???
My husband doesn’t smoke, so he really smells it.

Has this happened to anyone else & is it supposed to be that way? If not, what can I do to help it? We’re making more this weekend.

as always…thank you!

((((HUGS)))) and peace

Would also like to hear detailed Description of your process. Yes, a delightful bedtime smoke.

Bubba

Do tell more please?
Did you let it dry out properly before storing it in a sealed container?

I was wondering. It can hold moisture if not allowed to dry. Then it can get smelly. Otherwise, should be a nice fresh smell, sort of a clean minty smell, which will vary from strain to strain.

It's got to be something in the procedure.

Bubba

^^^That, in a nutshell. I've had some I could have sworn was dry enough until I compressed it and saw water coming out. Chop it up with a single edge razor blade, spread it out, and start over. If it's already got the hint of mold, it's too late. I'd eat it or use it for topicals.
Fresh bubble hash is a gift from the Gods.

Do tell more please?
Did you let it dry out properly before storing it in a sealed container?

I dried it in the refrigerator after chopping it. But, none of the videos/posts mentioned anything about storing it in a sealed container. However, it tasted bad the first night, so that wouldn’t be the problem. .
thanks. I will store it in a sealed container .

Watch for mold. If you put it in an airtight container before dry it will turn green. MOLD!!

No green. But no airtight container, either. I’ll do that next time. It tasted bad right away.

I dried it per the instructions: chopped it up, put in the refrigerator & then in the freezer for a little bit, and back in the refrigerator for a total of 5 days. I didn’t see or smell any mold, so not sure. It doesn’t taste like mold, just not good. After I smoke it, my mouth tastes like I smoked out of an old pipe.

I was wondering. It can hold moisture if not allowed to dry. Then it can get smelly. Otherwise, should be a nice fresh smell, sort of a clean minty smell, which will vary from strain to strain.

It's got to be something in the procedure.

Bubba

I kept wondering about my procedure, but it dried in the refrigerator. There was no sign of moisture at all. It was chopped up right away & didn’t get smelly….just tastes bad (not a moldy taste, just bad.. certainly not clean).

We’re going to make a new batch tomorrow with 1/2 lb, a lot more than the 3 oz we used the first time. I want to avoid the bad taste, but from what I’m seeing, I did it right, so I don’t know how else to do it.

No green. But no airtight container, either. I’ll do that next time. It tasted bad right away.

I dried it per the instructions: chopped it up, put in the refrigerator & then in the freezer for a little bit, and back in the refrigerator for a total of 5 days. I didn’t see or smell any mold, so not sure. It doesn’t taste like mold, just not good. After I smoke it, my mouth tastes like I smoked out of an old pipe.
Prob has a lot of chlorophyll in it, how much did you beat them greens?

Hmmm, I let my sit at room temperature for a few days then break it up and let it sit for a few more days then put it in a non air tight container. I check several times to make sure it has enough fresh air to prevent mold. I have never refrigerated or frozen hash. Never thought about it.

You never have told us how you do it. Ice, Bubble Bags, two 5 gal buckets, mixer (I use a wooden spoon and 3 maybe 4 pulls. Never fails. Great smell, taste and knock out buzz. I like it better than kief.....to harsh.

Prob has a lot of chlorophyll in it, how much did you beat them greens?

What do you mean about ‘beat(ing) the greens? Do you mean how much & how did we ..oh what’s the word… i can’t think of it.. “work” the cannabis in the buckets?

If that’s it, we did it by hand at first, and when got tired, put the wooden spoon on a drill & did that a few minutes. We ‘worked’ it for about 20 minutes.

Hmmm, I let my sit at room temperature for a few days then break it up and let it sit for a few more days then put it in a non air tight container. I check several times to make sure it has enough fresh air to prevent mold. I have never refrigerated or frozen hash. Never thought about it.

You never have told us how you do it. Dry Ice, Bubble Bags, two 5 gal buckets, mixer (I use a wooden spoon and 3 maybe 4 pulls. Never fails. Great smell, taste and knock out buzz. I like it better than kief.....to harsh.

OH,… regular ice, bubble bags, 2- five gal buckets, wooden spoon *by hand at first, and then on a drill in the end*.

All the videos/posts mentioned putting it in the refrigerator (some mentioned a small time in the freezer) to avoid mold. We live in a very humid area. Wouldn’t leaving it out make it more susceptible to mold?

I follow the Subcool method shown in his video. Frozen fresh. Little ice in work bag bucket, weed, ice weed etc.

Add water put in fridge fort 30 mins. The water added is from a large bowl with ice to cool it. Take out of fridge and mix, using the two "strokes" subcool used. One a stabbing motion, the other a stiring motion to bring material up off the bottom.

Run a little water as bag is raised and allowed to drain. Set aside to thaw, then intopot with water and butter.

The bucket of trichomes is then poured into another bucket fitted with 190 bag. That too goes in butter pot. Then poured back into other bucket with 160. That goes in butter pot as well.

I then repeat with 120, 90, 73, 45 and 25.

120 and 25 both bubbled, but we're not the quality of the 90, 73, and 45.

Bubba

Hmmm....sounds like a lot of work to me. I keep it simple with the same results. By the way, if I tried to put bubble hash mix in Mrs Putes frig I would have had my pecker cut off. I think those extra steps are not necessary. Plus I dry my sugar leaves and then crush into power the best I can before putting into my working bag. Keep it simple.

Probably not a popular thing but I never liked subcool's pot anyway.....lots agree with me. Beautiful plant....no kick.

Hmmm....sounds like a lot of work to me. I keep it simple with the same results. By the way, if I tried to put bubble hash mix in Mrs Putes frig I would have had my pecker cut off. I think those extra steps are not necessary. Plus I dry my sugar leaves and then crush into power the best I can before putting into my working bag. Keep it simple.

Probably not a popular thing but I never liked subcool's pot anyway.....lots agree with me. Beautiful plant....no kick.

I like simple.

And, I don’t have any more room in my refrigerator right now, so I was wondering about that, too.

So, I think I’ll look at the videos (I think it was you & one other) that were offered on another thread. I haven’t had time to look at them & we’re going to make the next batch tomorrow. …nothing like waiting until the last minute! ;).(the emojis are grayed out…).

Interesting about the sugar leaves. I don’t really have normal leaf structure this year. They flowered early…wayyy early, and the buds grew all up the stems instead of on the ends. They didn’t form into tight buds, but almost like popcorn buds. Some also either matured or started to die early, and I had to cut them early….SO, I’ve frozen those fresh..something I’ve never done. Tomorrow’s batch will be made with dried as I have a lot left from last year…buds & ‘hash’ (labeled that way only because I didn’t manicure it so well). White Widow also didn’t really have popcorn buds last year, so it’s mostly buds that just aren’t manicured so much. This year, I’ll have more ‘trim’… more odd stuff. Only about 5 of my original (out of 24 that lived) plants are growing like ‘regular’ plants, and aren’t near maturity. The rest have buds all up the stems and are maturing about a month early. I also planted 10 more when I saw what was happening & was told they’d probably die, so I have a lot to do in the next couple of months, as the first ones are going to mature starting next week, and will continue through at least Sept; then, the new plants will probably mature in November. Long harvest! And, a lot of work with all those little buds! I’m leaving a lot of the leaves next to the buds on because they do have ‘sugar’ on them, just not the normal shape of sugar leaves…longer.

Strange year!

Latest posts

Back