noisy fans !!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

babymonkey

Reaction score
hi all
im doing a hydro grow & have all my fans on the inside of my tent,but they all need to come out of the tent so theres more space for the plants to grow....
my question is when i put the fans on the outside of the tent,there pretty loud,plus the tent is in my bedroom,so was wondering is there anythin i can do to make the fans silent! ?

thanks all:)

Armaflex, courtesy of Mindzeye. Dude I ordered mega sheets and am gonna wrap everything. Stuff is legit. I got 1".

Armaflex? what's the cost per sq ft?

i was just pondering a soundproof DIY inline fan..
soundboard is about $12 for a 4' x 8' 32' sq = 37.5 cents a sq ft...
cheap and has a 97% sound reducxtion so i'm told by the guy at home depot..
but i imagine Armaflex to be much easier to work with than soundboard...

Just build a box around the fan? Armaflex is alot more, but easy to work with, wrap and tape.

Now you makin me think of a soundproof box around fan with duct flanges on either side. If that's what you were refering to in the DIY.

nouvellechef said:
Just build a box around the fan? Armaflex is alot more, but easy to work with, wrap and tape.

Now you makin me think of a soundproof box around fan with duct flanges on either side. If that's what you were refering to in the DIY.

yes, DIY. SoundProof. that's my plan. if anyone wants to do one with or before or after me, that's all gravy.

and i did a lil research on the armaflex and it looks promising, but i couldn't find an actual value of its acoustical insulation properties...

one last thing. this soundproof fan, will be inline and run off 12v.

Heres why I use Armaflex, I work in the commercial HVAC industry, I work around 1600 ton chillers that cool 8 story buildings and they sound like jet engines about to take off, to help with the sound we use armaflex sheets to dampen sound.. I used it around my fans in my grow room and they are whisper quiet.. You wont find denser insulation foam anywhere.. Use that and insulated duct anywhere that you can.. All my external duct is insulated but its impossible to use inside the tent..

Building a box around the fan can make it louder.... Think about the purpose a speaker box has.. The speaker by itself isnt loud but if you put it in a box to echo in it becomes loud..

Take it from somone who uses Armaflex for a living, the stuff may not be cheap but it does its job like none other out there.. Its about $50 for a sheet that 4x6... It will go a long ways...

Heres a pic, it may not be pretty but its quiet... You can take it from me or the industry flunk out who settled for a job at home depot because he wasnt bright enough for the industry... Thats a 6in 450 cfm fan that is noisy as hell, but now you can stand next to it and you have to listen close to hear it...

phpePYwOyPM.jpg

hmmm...thanks for the info, I've never heard of this armaflex...gonna have to look into it!

legalize_freedom said:
hmmm...thanks for the info, I've never heard of this armaflex...gonna have to look into it!

Most people havnt unless they are in the HVAC trade or plumbing.. heres a link though..

hxxp://www.under-the-ice.com/product_info.php?products_id=74

Ha, that's where I bought my sheets. Gonna wrap, everyhing in it. Well and try and not make it look ghetto either.

nouvellechef said:
Ha, that's where I bought my sheets. Gonna wrap, everyhing in it. Well and try and not make it look ghetto either.

Good luck on the ghetto part LOL.. Im and HVAC tech and not a pro insulator, but we subcontract a company that can wrap anything and make it look good.. Functionality is more important to me than looks...

HI,

Armaflex sounds cool Mindzeye.... What I did to quiet down my fan is I put it inside of a large cardboard 'muffler' box that is lined with 2" eggcrate style sound absorptive foam. I have the box suspended and hanging on rubber straps from my attic ceiling joists and those do wonders to keep any of the low end hummmm from transferring and acoustically coupling with my structure. There's still a pretty hearty w-h-o-o-o-s-h of air and I still need to insulate the 6' run of 6" duct from my cool tube to my fan but since I only run my ventilation from 8pm til 8am at or near 100% during lights on and it hasn't been an issue when I have someone over during the day or early evening as my fan ramps down to around 30% speed during lights out.

Peace!:cool:

hi guys
wow alot of replies,that ARMAFLEX stuff,wow look no further,this looks better than anything ive seen,ive being looking at acoustic boxes which is suppossed to lower the noise.

im in the uk & have found a site that sells armaflex,is it an inch thick the stuff im looking for,as ive found one thats 32mm

please check site out below & let me know if its the right stuff as ill order a few sheets today

thanks all:)

industrial rockwool for insulation work great, they use this stuff in walls, you can build a box using gypsum board, just a thought ;)

zem said:
industrial rockwool for insulation work great, they use this stuff in walls, you can build a box using gypsum board, just a thought ;)
:)
hi zem
everyones thoughts are always taken on board,it sounds like a good idea as im a plasterer,and i can get the sound proof plasterboards at trade price,even kknow ill only need 1 board lol:)

im going to get a check on the price for industrial rockwool

thanks zen:)

babymonkey said:
:)
hi zem
everyones thoughts are always taken on board,it sounds like a good idea as im a plasterer,and i can get the sound proof plasterboards at trade price,even kknow ill only need 1 board lol:)

im going to get a check on the price for industrial rockwool

thanks zen:)

hi again zem

ive just had a search for industrial rockwool,can you check the link below & let me know if this is the right stuff

hxxp://www.condell-ltd.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=581

get back to me cheers zen:)

So are some saying a a soundproof box around the fan with flanges on both sides and ducting would be silent?

babymonkey said:
hi again zem

ive just had a search for industrial rockwool,can you check the link below & let me know if this is the right stuff

hxxp://www.condell-ltd.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProductID=581

get back to me cheers zen:)
ya thats the one :D get the flexible slabs to be able to roll it around ducts ;) btw i'm a drummer and have built a couple of music rooms using this stuff and gypsum boards

nouvellechef said:
So are some saying a a soundproof box around the fan with flanges on both sides and ducting would be silent?

doubt it'd be 100% silent but that'll be my goal.

Latest posts

Back