noisy fans !!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That tape is only 1/8 in thick, you would need 8 layers of that stuff to equal the thickness of one of these sheets....

I'm gunna listen to the guy that works with this **** on the daily. It seems simple enough and if it full insulates and silents it without probs, looking a little ghetto rigged doesn't seem like a huge concern.

MindzEye said:
Heres a pic, it may not be pretty but its quiet... You can take it from me or the industry flunk out who settled for a job at home depot because he wasnt bright enough for the industry... Thats a 6in 450 cfm fan that is noisy as hell, but now you can stand next to it and you have to listen close to hear it...

hi mindzeye
i just spent 106 pound for 3 sheets of armaflex,ive wrapped,cut & taped it all round the fan,but it dosnt seem any quieter,please help !!

how did you get yours to make hardly any noise ??
cheers m8

also i got 32mm thick which os more than an inch

:shocked: 106 pound that is more than 200$? daaaaamn! for this much money i could upgrade everything in my room, i suggest you be more careful spender from now on, i bet there were many things you could have used this much money to buy

i know 106 pounds is alot of money on armaflex,i desperate need to either

get my fans to make less noise

or

find somewhere that sell silent extractors
:)

have you tried rubber mounting where the fan is attatched to the wall or ceiling? This is not sound proof, but it does help, and then maybe wrap the armaflex aroud the fan.

babymonkey said:
hi again

can someone check the link out below,its some insulated ducting,just wondering if this would make the fans quite ?

hxxp://www.i-sells.co.uk/insulated-aluminium-flexible-ducting-10m-150mm:)
yes this would help, however this is exactly an aluminium duct with industrial rockwool wrapped around it. you can find this stuff used for wrappin hot water tanks in homes, i am sure you can get it done for much less

babymonkey said:
i know 106 pounds is alot of money on armaflex,i desperate need to either

get my fans to make less noise

or

find somewhere that sell silent extractors

Just got your PM, you need insulated duct, what your hearing is the sound of air moving through the duct.. Also my fan is suspended from a bungee cord, vibration can move through things and make noise...

thanks mindzeye

il be purchasing some insulated ducting this week & see how it goes

all the best:)

hi again
just an update ive just bought 10 metres of 150mm (6 ")insulated acoustic flexible ducting,ive listed the link below,the last link i posted was nearly 80 pounds but this is the same for 40 pounds
like to thanks mindzeye for mentioning i could get it cheaper,he was right 50% cheaper,hope some uk growers can make some good use of this link

as soon as it comes ill let everyone know if it works,well the armaflex wraped around the fan has silenced the fan (thanks to mindzeye),now to get rid of the airflow noise

hopefully the end result is "NO NOISE!" which im sure will interest every grower

happy smoking:)

hxxp://cgi.ebay.co.uk/INSULATED-ACCOUSTIC-FLEXIBLE-DUCTING-150MM-6-10M_W0QQitemZ360153907366QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_HomeGarden_Garden_PlantsSeedsBulbs_JN?hash=item53dad880a6#shId

babymonkey said:
hi zem
everyones thoughts are always taken on board,it sounds like a good idea as im a plasterer,and i can get the sound proof plasterboards at trade price,even kknow ill only need 1 board lol:)

im going to get a check on the price for industrial rockwool

thanks zen:)

Small world.. Retired, local 66# San Francisco.....;)

just tell them to be quite, try a lot of egg holders the cheapest sound proof material out there

A sound proof box would have to be built correctly or it could theoretically make things worse, but the analogy to a speaker box is off track because the speaker box is designed to specifically increase sound production, not so much by echoing but so that when the speaker retracts into the box, it increases the pressure behind the speaker causing it to rebound harder and therefore send a stronger sound wave towards the listener.

You quieten down any mechanical device you have to either (a) absorb the sound or (b) isolate the source and preferably do both. In the case of a fan mounted into a rigid box by flanges, you are risking simply transferring the noise from the fan to the box. To be safe you need to isolate the fan from the box with energy/sound absorbing mounts and flexible ducts.

Has anyone ever tried using "white sound" to either cancel out the noise or to mask it behind background noise?

Another cheap ghetto sound absorbing material is shag carpet or plush carpet. I remember some sound booths in the radio industry years a go with carpet on the walls that were nearly as quite as the ones with the fancy egg crate foam.

If you have access to it, foam egg crate mattresses like they use in the nursing homes.hospitals dampens sound pretty good to. When a patient is discharged, they usually just through the egg crates out.

Good luck.

Great smoking.

I puchased a 6" Elicent a couple of weeks ago after being told that it was the quietest fan made. Then again I was also told the same thing about my 8 inch Votex. They both sound like fricken jet engines when bench tested. And the 6 inch is no better
I decieded to try a box using 1" partical boad. ($10.00) I had to go to a pawn shop and buy a jig saw. ($20.00)
I messed with it for a few days wondering if it would actually work. I was pleasantly surprissed to find that the difference was at least 60 to 70% decrease in the overall sound. The air is the only thing that I can still hear, and I can now barely hear the motor at all. I had planned on insulating the ducting but I don't think I will have to?
Hope this helps??? Worked for me!!! Good Luck!!!

Peace MBT

grow journal #2.jpg

very neat piece of work mikey :)

Why don't you line that box you made with some of that armaflex seems to me like that combined with suspending it with rubber mounts in the box would greatly quiet any noise other than the wooshing air sound. I think that's what i'm going to try when i get things going again as my fans drive me nuts at night when i'm trying to sleep.

No need for armaflex if you built a box. As said earlier, the soft eggcrate foam hospitals use lined on the inside and insulated ducting, almost equals zero noise.

Latest posts

Back