Non-Stop Deficiency Battle (PICS)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
are the roots showing at the bottom bright white? like the brightest white you've ever seen? from what i can see in the photo's they look to be browning a bit. thats not a good sign, prolly root rot. most likely suspect was the salt build up on the hydroton. it's not that the salts are necessarily excessive, but when there is a lack of water (when the hydroton dry out between watering's) all that is left is salt...and that will kill anything.

i want to recommend transplant but theyre getting kinda big at this point and transplanting in hydroton is dodgy at best.

so instead, run your pump 24/7 with water and h202 ONLY @ 5ml per L to kill the root rot. no nutrients at all. do this for a week, then you can switch back to normal feeding regimen.

and when all is better, keep that pump running 24/7 for the rest of the grow. put those net pots into a tote, and run a simple recirculating top feed system. you will be much happier, and so will the plants.

green mojo
:48:

One thing that I see in any private grower's situations is that some medium/nutrient/environment/strain combinations will work just fine for one person but just won't work for another. I can veg my plants in coco coir and water them just like soil grows where they have a drying cycle but if I try to carry them all the way through flower that way, they go into a tail spin. If I move them into a top-feed recirculating hydro system, they do fine.

DGF used to come here had horrible results doing soilless regardless of how he did it. When He switched to a recirculating hydro system, he had no more issues and has gone on to be a killer grower of top bud.

If you can't get the flood and drain to work with hydroton, you may want to consider using coco coir or coco kernels. If you are using RO water and/or hydro, you NEED to use a calmag additive with you solutions. Especially if you try coco as it needs a higher level of calmag than other mediums.

One thing that I see in any private grower's situations is that some medium/nutrient/environment/strain combinations will work just fine for one person but just won't work for another. I can veg my plants in coco coir and water them just like soil grows where they have a drying cycle but if I try to carry them all the way through flower that way, they go into a tail spin. If I move them into a top-feed recirculating hydro system, they do fine.

DGF used to come here had horrible results doing soilless regardless of how he did it. When He switched to a recirculating hydro system, he had no more issues and has gone on to be a killer grower of top bud.

If you can't get the flood and drain to work with hydroton, you may want to consider using coco coir or coco kernels. If you are using RO water and/or hydro, you NEED to use a calmag additive with you solutions. Especially if you try coco as it needs a higher level of calmag than other mediums.
luckily things have turned around I'm like 95% sure it was a root problem because my rapid rooter was still getting wet. also, i gave them full strength Lucas and the northern lights perked right up within 2 or 3 floods... now the plants are starting to do well and I've been trying LST on all the plants because they were getting too bushy.... and I'm using RO because I'm using lucas formula, do you think i should still add cal-mag? i was going to because i am seeing a slight magnesium deficiency and the lucas does seem a little weak for my plants (ppms drop by like 70 when i top off with 2 gallons of RO) but i don't want to lockout any nutes by adding the cal-mag either

You definitely need to add calmag. I can't say how much as it depends on your nutrients that you are using. But normally calcium and magnesium are mostly left out of most nutes because they are heavier and(within liquid bottles of nutrients) will precipitate out of the solutions, or will bind with other elements and then precipitate out.
By adding them separately in larger mixes of water, there is more room in the solution for all of the needed elements to get to the plants without binding with each other. I would use some at least. You may not need a lot but its hard to say. I have to use more myself because of using coco coir.

You definitely need to add calmag. I can't say how much as it depends on your nutrients that you are using. But normally calcium and magnesium are mostly left out of most nutes because they are heavier and(within liquid bottles of nutrients) will precipitate out of the solutions, or will bind with other elements and then precipitate out.
By adding them separately in larger mixes of water, there is more room in the solution for all of the needed elements to get to the plants without binding with each other. I would use some at least. You may not need a lot but its hard to say. I have to use more myself because of using coco coir.

yeah I'm definitely going to add some to the res and if worse comes to worse ill just re fill the res but i definitely see a mag issue coming and i want to stop it before it gets worse. I'm probably just going to start with 1-1.5ml per gallon and how that goes

had a problem in soil once,showed multi nutrient problems.bought a bag of roots organtic,it was infested with root aphids(never heard of them until this happened)check see if you have a waxy like build up on bottom of stem.

had a problem in soil once,showed multi nutrient problems.bought a bag of roots organtic,it was infested with root aphids(never heard of them until this happened)check see if you have a waxy like build up on bottom of stem.

i still don't think the roots on the ak48 are full recovered but i doubt its root aphids since the roots on the northern lights are sticking out of the pot now and they are a nice white with no issues to spots or bugs

Latest posts

Back