noob at indoor growing.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fugly

Reaction score
hi everyone. a noob at indoor growing. finally have a stable job so i can purchase some indoor growing supplies.

on the way i have a 400W lumatek digital ballast. im still deciding at what kind of reflector to use. i think i prefer one that has the socket already wired into it. but whats a good reflector for the price? i probably would like to add a fan later. is one required if the glass is on? or can i just leave the vents open? as far as the space? i have a very big basement with open vents on the bottom. so heat really shouldnt be an issue. one last question. also interested in finding a good digital timer, if you can point me in the right direction. thanks.

ill probably start off with a MH bulb for v. growth? anyone recommend a good MH bulb?

I have purchased all my stuff on EBAY........there are very good deals and everything is a private transaction.......to give you an example........We purchased 2-400 watt switchables w/ mh and hps bulbs for $418 usd including shipping.......and they were brand new factory deals w/ the best reflectors built in......i heard bat wing reflectors stink also.....im a newbie as well so just keep asking what you need to know after reading the guide and you'll get awesome advice........I have!!!!!!!

I~

Welcome aboard fugly...great to have ya'.
as far as the vented hood goes, I don't believe a fan is a requirement, but would certainly recommend it. Cooling at the hood allows you to get the light much closer to the plants without burning.
Bulbs?.."IMHO"..any standard mh bulb is fine. I once spent nearlly $300 on an "enhanced spectrum" 1k MH, and was sorely disapointed with the results. The same 1k standard bulb runs under $60. NOT worth the extra bucks.

sup mate just starting out myself. i am enrolled in a program that is sending me to a horticulture training academy for free.one of the main topics of this course is hydroponic greenhouse growing. icant wait .although well b growing tomatoes and such i willb learning if u know what i mean. hopefully by christmas i can start my own aeroponics vsystem in my basement w/out the tomatoes but herbs.im so exited i am on line trying to learn now. iwant to start out w/plants in pots(large)under lighting in my basement first. i had raised tomatoes and peppers out side all summer long thgis way and they turned out great. 8 ft high with tons of fruit/ watering 1 -2 times aday mixing in all purpose miricle grow food here and there willthis work for pot plants...........lots to learn.lefty

thanks everyone....
irish, your right....been purchasing things through ebay.
hick, thanks for your opinion on bulbs as well as saving me a bunch of money!
and lefty! learn learn learn so you can share your knowledge with us as well.

i think ill invest the money in a vented hood! just having the option of venting later will be good to have.

once i get to know every thing (ha) i certainly will tell all . i dont start until 1st week of sept,though.:cool:

nothing bad about the new batwing reflectors with the high gloss metallic finish. if ya mean the older type with the flat white finish; then just cover them with mylar. batwings are also designed for horizontal mounting of HID lights. imho

I had the batwing reflector and it worked great. I purchased a hooded fan with the glass and no fan. Hooked it up before asking questions. Here are the results.
1. Light overheated and shut OFF with glass and no fan
2. It Caused more heat than the batwing with the light only
3. Added 170cfm fan for a 1000 watt switchable light. Very little heat. Glass warm to the touch. The side of my computer is hotter.
If you get the hooded light you will definitely want (not need)to get a fan and heat-tempered glass. It's WELL worth it especially if heat will be an issue in your space. If heat will be an issue change the want to NEED a fan. The fan to cool my 1000 watt bulb cost $140. So if you light is smaller you won't need one that big.
Look at my grow journal and see my set-up. It wasn't cheap by any means but It a Now-and-Late system. Buy a piece now and buy a piece later. Every grow I get at least two new pieces. Going for CO2 and Aeroponics in the future.

good post, my friend. i use a vortec commercial fan ducted to my tube sheilds. rule of thumb - 3 lights = 8" vortec 4 lights 10" vortec etc. max per cluster 5. yer lucky the bulb did not explode p.s. this is fer 1000w bulbs

about the overheated light reflector with glass and no fan.

heat is not a problem. could i just also just leave the glass off? and distance the light from the plants to keep them out of heat range of the bulb?

yup but then just buy a batwing - cheaper. or plan fer later - no problem

ok....ill look into the batwing....
maybe ill get a really good reflector when i can pick up a good digital 1000w system.

fugly, this is just my opinion; but maybe get a couple of grows down pat first. then you can expand to tubes or reflector sheilds. these babies cost money that you could invest in prime seeds and ferts now. but have fun and grow, my friend.

will do! ill wait on the prime seed though like you said, get some grows down first.

Latest posts

Back