not an electrician

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stein_free

Reaction score
hey everybody, i have an 400w mercury vapor that i add during veg for the blue spectrum. my question is when i'm done with it , can i use the same ballest and just change bulbs to a sodium bulb of (egual watt), or do i need a different ballest?:confused:

that is tricky question , i wont to know tooo
i try and nothing happen ( that was my friend stuff and i was there when was on for 20 min) :) :):):):):):):):):)

isn't kade the light mastermind? At least with floros i think... Great question either way.

Mercury vapor lamps do not make good grow lights.
Metal halide and high pressure sodium are the ones you want.

I dont think its ever a good idea to mix ballast types and bulbs.
But a metal halide bulb will burn in a mercury vapor ballast just not the other way around. As far as a HPS I dont think it will work.

Growdude said:
I dont think its ever a good idea to mix ballast types and bulbs. But a metal halide bulb will burn in a mercury vapor ballast just not the other way around. As far as a HPS I dont think it will work.

Metal halide will light up as long as it has enough wattage to it... but it isn't necessarily safe... Hps won't light unless there is an ignitor to start it. Metal halide bulbs have an internal ignitor.

thanks for the reply's and as for the mercury vapor its not primary lighting it just adds to the blue spectrum wich has work well to promote veg thanks again

hey thanks, opencountry the article was very informative, and since i do grow in a smaller area than some the fire hazard would probably devastate me , i've decided to just set up another HPS after veg ,i'll still use the merc for veg wich its worked well for. thanks peace and happy growing

Latest posts

Back