Not enough light?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Toby

Space CowBoy
Reaction score
Hi dudes i'm growing in a greenhouse in my back garden but the size of my garden is tiny and so my palnts are only getting direct sunlight between the hours of 3pm til 8pm, i noticed the hairs (or what i thought were hairs) 3 wks ago and they have gone a reddish colour but you would have to really squint to find them.I planted my babies on the 2nd june, do you think i'm behind schdule?
p.s. i will put up some pics tomorow when i get my bro's camera.
p.p.s. i forgot to say that my kitchen light shines into the greenhouse at night, its not mad bright or anything but is that gonna effect my babies at all?
Cheers.

Old Toby said:
Hi dudes I'm growing in a greenhouse in my back garden but the size of my garden is tiny and so my plants are only getting direct sunlight between the hours of 3pm til 8pm, i noticed the hairs (or what i thought were hairs) 3 wks ago and they have gone a reddish colour but you would have to really squint to find them. I planted my babies on the 2nd June, do you think I'm behind schedule?

my kitchen light shines into the greenhouse at night, its not mad bright or anything but is that gonna effect my babies at all?

Hey Toby, I'll wait till I see your pics before advising you on them. The light from your kitchen *may* affect the flowering of your plants. It's better to have no lights on them, even for brief periods. The interruption of darkness can cause slow budding, low budding, and hermies.

This is a dirt grow? What are you using for nutes?

I'm using a product called Bio Grow Liquid plant grow from a dutch company called BioBizz, its 8.0-2.0-6.0. I'll post them pics tomorrow!

Heres 1 pic of my plants anyway, i tried uploading more but erased them by mistake...DUH me!

My-babies-standing-to-atten.jpg

Heres some more pics im puttin up as many as i can so i hope i dont crash the whole site haha!

plant1.jpg

plant2.jpg

plant3.jpg

plant4.jpg

plant5.jpg

plant6.jpg

plant7.jpg

plant8.jpg

plant9.jpg

plant10.jpg

plant11.jpg

plant12.jpg

Old Toby said:
I'm using a product called Bio Grow Liquid plant grow from a dutch company called BioBizz, its 8.0-2.0-6.0. I'll post them pics tomorrow!

Nice looking plants man! Good and healthy looking!!!!!!!

I'm not sure what the season where you live is, (and please don't tell us where you live), but as the days get shorter, your plant should start flowering. The flowers will be obvious to you when they happen. If you're in shorter days already, then it's possible your kitchen light has "fooled" the plants into thinking they still have long day lighting.

Let me know how many hours of light you have now at the latitude you live in. I'll be able to tell you what nutes to use at this point when I know what season your plant is expecting now.

Here's a short example of what nutes you should be giving your plants. Keep in mind that these examples are generic. Depending on the strain you're growing, available light and nutrients, method of growing, and other factors, the need for different nutes can be quite different.

The grow guide right here on MarP's Home Page is a great way to introduce yourself to advanced MJ growing.

From MarP's Home Page:

Marijuana plants require food to grow. The three main components are nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P), and potassium (K). These are needed for strong root growth, strong vegetative growth, and for lush, full flowering and high yields.
Most potting soils come with a balanced NPK ratio that will sustain a plant for the first 2-3 weeks. However, as the plant grows taller and wider, supplemental nutrients are required.
In the vegetative stage, a good 20 - 20 - 20 supplement is often adequate to maintain proper growth and development. Most growers dilute this formula to one-half or one-quarter strength, as marijuana does not tolerate full-strength nutrient feedings well. This can be given once or twice a week, although some growers use it at every feeding.
In the flowering stage, a higher ratio of phosphorus is needed to promote and encourage flowering, as these flowers are the bud sites, and the number of flowers affect the end yield. Phosphorus alone, or phosphorus in a higher ratio - 10 - 30 - 10, is often used in this stage.
Secondary foods that the marijuana plants need are calcium, sulphur, and magnesium. These foods ensure that plant photosynthesis is maintained, allowing strong growth and good development.
The trace minerals a plant needs are boron, copper, molybdenum, zinc, iron and manganese. The marijuana plant takes up a minimal amount of these elements, but they are essential to the overall well-being of the plant.
All these nutrients work together to maintain healthy growth and development. Plants will grow poorly or not at all if deprived of any one of these nutrients. If the lack is severe, the plant may go into nutrient lockout, which is the lack of one nutrients blocking the uptake of all the rest, thus causing the plant to die.
Careful, occasional assessment of your plant will determine whether it is healthy and stable, or lacking in any of these nutrients. These problems are easily fixed, but correcting them is very essential to the continued growth and development of your plant.

Good luck to you man!

Cheers Stoney Bud, Sunrise is 6.28am and sunset is 8.22pm. At the momoent i'm nuteing them every 3 days. If you notice the smaller plant at the end in my first pic, its very small and skinny and i'm worried for it, any ideas? I was thinking about maybe experimenting with it by covering one of the branches with a black bag to force flower it just to see what happens.

hi ya toby...if you'll block that ambient light from the kitchen, I'm betting you won't need to "force flower".

like the man said, those pots are way too small

Cheers for the info dudes! Hi Sombro how much bigger in pot size should i go? at the min i'm using a 4L pot.

the bigger pot the better, i've got mine in about 25L pots and I'm still so paranoid that they're going to get rootbound that I've cut the bottoms out and planted them in the ground,

good luck

Old Toby said:
Cheers Stoney Bud, Sunrise is 6.28am and sunset is 8.22pm. At the momoent i'm nuteing them every 3 days. If you notice the smaller plant at the end in my first pic, its very small and skinny and i'm worried for it, any ideas? I was thinking about maybe experimenting with it by covering one of the branches with a black bag to force flower it just to see what happens.
Hey Toby, If you get some quality nutrients that are formulated for growing pot, it will help your grow. Hick would be a great one for information on that.

Larger pots like the other guys said and blocking that light.

Give the plants time to recover from transplanting and they should grow like crazy.

Good luck to you man.

sombro said:
the bigger pot the better, i've got mine in about 25L pots and I'm still so paranoid that they're going to get rootbound that I've cut the bottoms out and planted them in the ground,

good luck

let me ease your mind :D

block the light from the kitchen.... you still have 14 hours of light so gonna need to wait a bit longer;)

plants look good

grow on

DSCF1609.JPG

DSCF2061.JPG

DSCF2063.JPG

DSCF2213.JPG

DSCF2233.JPG

People of MPMF. This guy here (HGB) is amazing on his "experiments". He is always finding new ways to grow MJ. Pay attention to this guy. ;)

Those pics are fantastic.

How did you get it to grow in a thimble??

sombro said:
Those pics are fantastic.

How did you get it to grow in a thimble??

thx sombro,

the how to will have to go into the proper forum as i dont want to trash Old Toby's help thread ;)

grow on

The manicured stem in that intsy planter...the one with the freshly turned soil....where are it's roots?

W ï l l said:
The manicured stem in that intsy planter...the one with the freshly turned soil....where are it's roots?

where all roots grow ;)

DSCF2217.JPG

DSCF2223.JPG

Latest posts

Back