Not so new new guy

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Torontoke

Reaction score
Hey everyone
Im new to the site
Ive been kickin around for a long time reading and finally said f it time to join.
I put up a thread in the medical section during a pissed off stoner moment and thought i should say hello in here too.

Im going to be setting up a lil perpetual garden in the near future.
So im going to be constantly seeking advice.

Welcome to MP, we are glad you are here. I am glad you are going to do your own grow,we will be glad to help.

Ive helped friends out many many times but never really had the desire to bother with my own.
However i will be moving away from most my friends so i want to get a good system going and pick a few strains that really work for me.

welcome torontoke! You've deff come to the right place for cannabis advice, ask away!

Actually
I have a question.
My flower area is 46" high 34" wide 24" deep
Would i get the best yield with
1-2 monsters vegged for a month and a half
4-6 vegged for a month
6-12 vegged for three weeks

Id like to harvest a qp every 8-10 weeks
Just for personal smoke.

I don't know about a 46" height. The pots are probably 10" or 12" high. The light takes up a foot. You need to keep the plants off the light by 6" or 8", at least. So, you're only left with about a 1 foot high grow area. That would be some pretty tight LST, for sure.

Do you have a separate vegging space? How large is that? What size and type of light are you planning on using in the flowering space? Are you interested in growing indica or sativa dominant strains?

I think that you are going to have problems with that space, which is less than 6 sq ft and like Hackerman mentioned the height is going to give you some problems. First of all, a plant vegged 6 weeks is not necessarily going to be a monster. Six weeks is still not a long veg. With a 6 week veg, you can probably fit 2 plants just fine if you lst or scrog (that height thing again). The problem with trying to use a shorter veg time is that the plants need to be sexually mature before they will flower. So regardless of when they are put into 12/12, they will not flower until they are ready....but they will stretch looking for light during that 12 hours that the lights are off. For something like this, clones would be a lot better as you can flower them any time you want to after they have roots. A yield of 4 oz every 8-10 weeks should be doable if you have a separate vegging space.

I do have a shorter cabinet that i have been using for veg seedlings n clones.
I did mean 6 weeks for a clone and using aeroponics does make them pretty bushy and worthwhile.

I am still debating between using an old 400 watter i already have or buying a cheap led.
Right now everything is under cfl and fluoros.

The original plan for this cabinet was to do 50 red solo cups with a screen and only veg for a week or two but we just tried that experiment at a friends house.
I wasnt that impressed with the 3-5 grams each plant yielded.

They really do need some veg time if you are going to want to yield anything.

I don't think that I would buy a cheap LED. If you want to go with an LED, get something good or you are simply wasting your money.

Ya i think im going to pick tue best 5 in about 3 weeks
I will veg em til they are 18"-24" then flower them.

They really do need some veg time if you are going to want to yield anything.

I don't think that I would buy a cheap LED. If you want to go with an LED, get something good or you are simply wasting your money.

Actually....you don't need to veg plants to "Yield anything"......I run 12\12 From seed and do great! :) Don't buy an LED guy......go with what's proven, or veg with the LED and Flower with HPS....:) Good luck! :)

If you veg till 18-24"......you will end up with 5 foot plants..just saying.. :)

My LED`s do just fine, from sprouting the seeds to frosty buds. People says my buds are as good as any out there. So I have a different opinion concerning LED`s. Cheap ones are a waste of money. Just like anything else, you get what you pay for. IMHO. Peace

Hey warrior
How tall do u let the seedlings get before you go 12/12
And what does each yield?

I have done 12/12 from seed also, but do not do it anymore simply because the yield is nothing compared to plants that I have vegged for awhile. IMO, it is counterproductive to run plants under 12 hours of light when they are not going to flower until they are sexually mature. You can do this with clones, but really even with clones, it is worth the time to give them a bit of a veg. I can guarantee you that a 4 week veg will more than double your yield rather than if you go 12/12 from seed.

LEDs have made incredible strides in the past several years. While they have been good for vegging, until recently the ones good enough to flower with her priced out of most people's budget. Well, now good LEDs are becoming affordable, but do buy good ones. I personally have to have the heat provided by a HPS in the winter or I would have to add auxiliary heat, so right now staying with HPS is the best for my personal grow. I would like to be able to invest in a couple of LEDs for next summer though. Lighting is one of those things I have seen a huge amount of change in the last 30 years. I started out with T8 tubes and used them for years before stepping up to HPS in the late 90s.

You don't do yourself or your plants any favors by going 12/12 from seed. MJ does not need a dark period. Going 24/0 the whole time they are vegging gives you them the opportunity to grow bigger more quickly. They are not going to Flower until they are sexually mature so why deny them the extra period of light until they do mature?

See it just goes to show you that everyone has different methods and results.
I personally have several friends that consistently grow 12/12 from seed and get 2oz per plant. Its not my cup of tea but ive seen it with my own two eyes.

I believe in vegging atleast a month but thats just cus i want every possible gram even if it takes an extra couple weeks.
Its been my experience tho when vegging that my seedlings seem to respond way better under 18/6 than they did under 24/0
I have tried both with the same strain im running but that could be strain related.

Thanks everyone for your input

Latest posts

Back