not sure to order from this site or not advice?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony8404

Reaction score
Hello,

I have been deciding on what items to order for a new setup.

I am worried now about ordering through Greners.com thought I found everything I need from there and great prices.

I read a bad stories about greners.com but they are old. I just found a thread on another forum where a guy just ordered January 20th 2014 and the guy at greners was rude as heck! Also, they did not ship his items out for 5 days!

I just do not want to spend 1200 only to have to call and email a thousand times to get my money back.

One thing that worries me is that they have a 20% superbowl promo that was to end on February 1st but it is still on there site! I have sent a few emails on questions on equipment but never got a response. I have called a few times and no answer. The girl on the message sounded like she could hold someone up at gun point. They state they open at 10 and if they do not answer today then I go elsewhere...

Anyone got a good recommendation? especially price match?

What are you buying? I have not dealt with them and doesn't sound like I would after what you are saying.. Go somewhere with a good rep. Don't go there.

Buying a new setup...

What sites have a good rep going for them?

Any that have price matching?

If you list what you are getting some folks will tell you where to get the best price.

What exqactly does that $1200 cover. IMO, I have found that those things like that where they package everything is not really a good deal. You can usually find things "ala carte" for a lot less. Could you link what you are looking at and we will give you our ideas. That is a whole lot of money unless it is a big set up with some pretty fancy stuff.

its actually 1300 and something... I am also getting the C.A.P xgc-1e elsewhere.

if you are going to be growing two plants at a time get at least 4 buckets & 3 net-pots so you can mix/measure/prep without disturbing the two.

clone gel
droppers/syringes for measuring nute
scissors/trimmers
clay pellets
ph +/- solution
not sure if the blue lab comes with : storage and calibration solutions
timer(s) for the light(s)
clamp/oscillating fan(s)
thermometer / hydrometer (s)

I see an air pump but need stones and tubing (and 1-way valve if you want to be extra safe)
Those industrial air pumps can be rather noisy, be warned.

PS
I got all this stuff on Amazon

That is a lot of money and only 2 3 gallon buckets (THG is making an "I'm appalled" face :eek:). I do not know what the little vegging light is, but I doubt that it will be adequate. I would never spend $111 for a 600W bulb--you have $222 just in a Mh and HPS bulb (see above for appalled face)!?! The price on the Phresh filter seems quite high. There is a lot of extraneous stuff that I do not think you will use. The hood is listed twice. I do not see a ballast on that list. Doesn't a tent come with for that price? Where is the medium for the buckets? I could go on and on.....

So, IMO, not a good buy at all. Just too much is overpriced and/or extraneous.

Check out things on Amazxon. If you are buying a lot and do not have Amazon Prime, it may pay to add it and have that benefit all year. You can get a 600W digital ballast with MH AND HPS bulbs AND timer AND hangers AND air coolable hood for about $200. You can get a fan and filter for about the same.

The little light "system" is most likely a 1 or 2 tube 2' T5 that puts out a little amount of lumens. For good veggy growth, you are going to need a bigger more powerful T5. The size will depend on what size space you plan on vegging in.

You can make a decent bubble cloner for almost no money out of almost anything. It is a waste of everything to buy one that is 8 sites when you only have 2 buckets.

What are the sure to grow pads and why would you need them? Is this to be used as your medium? And like I said, it seems to include a lot of extraneous stuff that you may or may not need, but if you do is probably cheaper from HD or other box store and you can buy only what you need. Duct clamps are simply large hose clamps, but a lot of times, I just use aluminum tape and not clamps.

It does pay to shop around.

ihave on that order two air shields for 5 gallon buckets. the lightstand system is for seedlings out side the grow tent. I got the botanicare daisy cloner for after seedlings or clones to be put in.

I am starting from scratch here. so once seeds have popped in the grow mat.i transfer to the cloner with 2" neophene and once they are good they go into the 6 " sure to grow cylinder thatgoesinto the net pot 6" and I am done then!

I have thought this through.. just need a store to buy now.. not sure if greners is legit or not..

Wow. I grew some nice Dank in three 5 gallon dwc buckets. Did not spend no where near that much. Ouch.
REMINDS ME OF ME, when i first started playing Golf. I bought more crap that i didnt need is was funny. Now all i need is a few clubs and a case of balls, cause i still suck. Lol

I bought a Secret Jardin through their web site. No problems at all with them.

Wow. I grew some nice Dank in three 5 gallon dwc buckets. Did not spend no where near that much. Ouch.
REMINDS ME OF ME, when i first started playing Golf. I bought more crap that i didnt need is was funny. Now all i need is a few clubs and a case of balls, cause i still suck. Lol
Yup, I don't know how many hobbies I've done that in but until you actually DO the activity you can't know what you want/need.
This isn't a hobby you can borough the equipment and try-out so starting out is a pain. (I was right there 1 year ago)
I've got a tote full of stuff I bought and have not (never will) used. And I kicked that first shopping list around for a week+
(signed up for amazon Prime on that order and got discounts, free shipping etc) thought I had it all nailed down air-tight...

tony8404
Sounds like you've done your homework and have a plan. that's GREAT!
just please be open-minded to the possibility someone who has grown for 5-25 years might have a few bits of (GREAT) advice to add to your plan.

there are LOTS of things on that list you can DIY so much cheaper than buying a pre-made but @ this point, if you have the $$ and feel more comfortable buying than building that's fine.

But... for example, the VEG light? its going to be weak and after a while your going to want/need to upgrade.
can that frame support a "real' light?
IDK but I do know a DIY PVC stand built for next to nothing will support a "real" light fixture you could buy for about what your spending on the whole pre-made.
etc
:48:

Yeah I think you guys are right there is no hurry I just kinda got all into it and just keep thinking and looking. I thought I missed the 20% sale they have going but when I saw it still on there today that made me think. I never still received a reply from them on any email I have sent in the last two weeks!

So now I think about it I am going to take it slow. Thanks for the 2x4 guys! when I see a good sale and I need something then I will get it. I just thought man do it all at once save on shipping and the 20% discount!!

Then waiting on replies on here I read some stuff that worried me even though it was a few years back. One guy finally got his money back in the long run so maybe big orders are not so good idea.

As for the lights you think that horti MH is not worth it? I need the advice from some of you experienced guys out there. I was thinking of going with a t5 6 bulb 4 " for veg. Then just go HPS 600 watt for flower. Still not sure on HPS bulb either. I was going to go with the horti 600 watt it is on sale plus the 20 so for 80 I thought why not. the agrosun and ushio are around same price.

You recommend the T5 HO 6 or 8 bulb unit instead of the MH bulb? I have a magnetic ballast that does MH and HPS. That was why I was going to go MH.

Hi tony, so glad you are open minded and asked BEFORE you bought. That shows great insight right there.

Yes, the T5 is great for Veg instead of a MH. I never looked back once i got a T5. You can get your plants closer, so there is less stretch which becomes important in flower. A 600 HPS is nice. THG may know where you should go to get your lights. I would check out amazon and read the reviews. Amazon Prime is your friend.

Just my 2 cents:

Get 2 tents. 1 for Veg and 1 for Flower. Make sure the one for Flower is larger than the one for Veg.
For Veg get HO T5's.
For Flower HPS in a cool tube or air cooled hood.
For ventilation get 2 inline fans and 2 speed controllers. Flexi duct and filter if you need one.
I recommend SunGrip light hangers or knock offs of them. Great light hangers.
For meters (ph, ppm) http://www.eseasongear.com/phtesting.html
If you are not growing all Organic or hydro make sure you PH everything to 6.3-6.8. I go with 6.5.
I don't grow Hydro or Organic so no help there.

omg that "rush" right before the BUY button gets pushed, yup, I get caught up in that too!

once you spent that much time choosing and thinking and comparing etc you feel you almost HAVE to buy it ALL!

nope, don't have to (WANT TO!!)

good luck tony,
stay calm and avoid panic buying
:48:

wow... you guys got me thinking again on everything I read for two weeks lol..

I called that Greners.com today... I cannot ******* believe someone answered.

I am reviewing everything now...

Some of the " hardware " items on that list seem high except the duct tape if it's good tape which I doubt.
Yes that is high for the bulbs. Maybe they/some hid grow bulbs cost a lot but you don't need to spend THAT much. At one time we were using a bunch 400 hps lights ( ineffeicient I know) and buying $30 hortilux bulbs was getting crazy and we ended up buying plain hps bulbs at menards sometimes. They worked great. I'm sure not the best but we didn't notice any big difference. Unfortunatally menards doesn't sell 600w bulbs only 400.
Hope you find a good deal!

The lights, bulbs, fan and filter, pump, buckets, drying rack are overpriced for sure. EBay, Amazon, plant lighting hydroponics.com. plh has great prices on fans and phresh filters and meters. Other things I'm sure. Get your basics and buy the other things according to plant stages. Buying at once doesn't save on shipping. Keep asking questions and then listen to these folks..friendliest forum out.

Latest posts

Back