Not sure which light to pick for 600w HPS. Think i am solid on my MH choice though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lighting needs are figured by lumens per sq ft. For vegging you want a minimum of about 3000 lumens per sq ft. For a 12 sq ft space, that is 36,000 lumens. So a 4' 8 tube fixture (54W tubes, 5000 lumens each) that puts out 40,000 lumens would be great.

Truly, I have found the expensive bulbs to be about the same as cheap bulbs. I have had a 1000W HPS since 1998 and so have tried a myriad of bulbs. I personally have found that buying inexpensive bulbs and swapping them out frequently does great.

thanks stank and hemp!

So you all think going with the t5's is better than the 600watt mh horti?

Man that bulb I can get for 114.00../. I can bet the ho t5 system for about that same price. Maybe I will go with that then... is it that much better than a mh bulb?

thanks stank and hemp!

So you all think going with the t5's is better than the 600watt mh horti?

Man that bulb I can get for 114.00../. I can bet the ho t5 system for about that same price. Maybe I will go with that then... is it that much better than a mh bulb?

IMO yes. It puts out less heat and you can get the lights right down on them. It makes a big difference in Veg when you are trying to keep the plants short and squat. That and proper training and you can really keep them more low profile than vegging with an MH and having to keep a distance between the light and plant tops. I personally wouldn't veg with anything else right now. LED tech might make me rethink that in the future though. I am loving the LED's in Flowering. But they are expensive in comparison to an HO T5 set up and honestly they didn't do any better at Veg than my HO T5.

Hamster Lewis,

You know what man... you really got me on those HO t5's now...

I will tell you what man... I will go the T5 Ho route and drop the dam 114.00 MH horti .... I see you are being passionate and that is what I am looking for.... Not only that... but I can get the whole ho t5 setup for less and it will still save me on electricity and heat and what not.

but since you talked me into t5 ho lighting... Help me pick out this god for saking ventilation system.. It is driving me up the wall man.

deal?

You were answering questions I had back in 2009 ham!! That is why I am taking your word for those t5 plus they look sweet! not only that it saves me from having to switch the bulbs and one day I swear I know it will happen I would forget to switch the hps to mh lol...

You were answering questions I had back in 2009 ham!! That is why I am taking your word for those t5 plus they look sweet! not only that it saves me from having to switch the bulbs and one day I swear I know it will happen I would forget to switch the hps to mh lol...

You won't be disappointed. I am not good on ventilation other than get a bigger fan than you need and a speed controller. I am lucky enough to not need a filter. My Flower tent is in negative pressure 24 hours a day and I vent that air outside my second floor window. I don't have neighbors close by where it vents to. When you add filters to the ventilation set up you want to make sure your fans can handle it. They put a bit of stress on the fan.

if I cannot go HO for the t5 what is next bet?

I can go with

sunblaze t5 2,4,6,8 bulbs? they state 92.59 lumens per watt includes bulbs

0r commercial t5 4,6,8 which includes the 64,000k tubes.

or Sunleaves pionner t5 4,6,8 tubes at 54watts and 1800 lumens per tube. 54watts per tube.

or designer t5 2,4,6 tubes at 6400k. just states includes appropriate number of fluorescent 6400k t5 tubes.

A 54W emitting 5000 lumens...or 92w lumens per watt, is an HO tube. A 54W tube emitting 1800 lumens is not.

Look for 54W 4' tubes that emit 5000 lumens. IMO, the brand is not critical and I buy inexpensive fixtures. I like to use tubes around 6500K spectrum for vegging. Get a fixture large enough so that you are getting approx 3000 lumens per sq ft. Co9oling a T5 is a lot easier than cooling an HID fixture. I think part of that is that the light is spread out over a larger space and not concentrated in a single bulb. I am currently cooling a very small vegging space (36"x20"x36" with a 12 tube 2' T5 30,000 lumens) with a bathroom type exhaust fan as I only have 15 cubic feet.

Greetings,

Oh oh, just to comment, in your light set-up what is your
purpose, yield or quality? For you other pro's out there. My particular purpose is quality because I am growing plants and producing trichomes. I have never used HPS
lighting but prefer MH because flower quality NOT size is
what patients are looking for. I've used Sun Master warm deluxe (3200K) for years and quality is through the roof. Of course we all want more, but is more better? The most recent grows are using full or balanced spectrum lighting. Right now I am doing full spectrum led lighting, but recently the (4200K) MH is coming strong with some strains looking like HPS flowers. Don't take my word for it, check KOS seeeds (the Rev) and his TLO(true living organic) system, he does MH only as I do. For med patients, MH, for $, HPS. Do research first, before I bought my first HID to grow cannabis, I studied a few years and then made my move and never looked back. Cannabis uses UV light(MH) form essential oil production and IR(HPS) for flower. The blend gives a wholistic production as our sun does with all the colors of the spectrum. Early morning/ high noon/ late evening , same spectrum, different angles. All gardeners choose your tools wisely.

Peace
Atomic Dog

Latest posts

Back