Not sure which light to pick for 600w HPS. Think i am solid on my MH choice though.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony8404

Reaction score
I am using a 600 watt magnetic ballast mh/hps switchable.

I been reading so much I cannot think.

For HPS:

Hortilux super hps en lamp 600w

Agrosun red sodium 600w

Ushio hilux gro super hps 600w

Lumatek 600w hps

for MH:

Hortilux blue daylight mh bulb 600w.

I am sure I want the Hortilux MH bulb for sure. it is the HPS I cannot decide on.

Any advice?

I have found no huge difference between bulbs--I usually buy inexpensive bulbs because I swap them out every 6 months or so.

I quit using MH a long time ago (use T5sw to veg), so have no opinions on the MH.

Hortilux is the best IMO
The Blue bulb is huge coin. I run regular MH and HPS hortilux.
Some say cheap bulbs changed each grow is just as good.

Before I switched to LED I would buy cheap HPS bulbs at www.1000bulbs.com.
Like THG I would just swap them out around every 6 months.

I would suggest a T5 to veg under and forget the MH. jmo Green mojo for you.

Same here cheap bulbs changed out often is the way to go, IMO if you are paying more than $30 per bulb your wasting your money. Jmo.

wow... I should have came here 36 hours ago!!!!

You guys just threw me a curb ball... Here I thought for sure going from the 400 watt hps bulbs from Menards at 25-30 a pop too one of these talked about name brands was going to be key...

Finally get some money to treat myself waiting for a few years and I want to cry now lol...

I keep reading how important the light is. Not as much as spectrum but by its par or uml then wave length goes on from here man.

My brain hurts man. from all the reading....

by the way I am using the ballast below just in case it makes a difference...

I am using a 600watt Mh/HPS Magnetic Ballast from MaverickSun....

Since I am using that ballast does it make a difference to my choices now?

After I just looked at some of the t5 systems available at the place I am going through man you guys got me thinking now!

The price I was going to pay for the bulb I can get the t5 system for just a bit more..

Can you link us to that ballast? Magnetic ballasts usually only work with either HPS or MH not both. Digital ballasts work with both.

let me ask some questions on them as I never used one.

Cost wise is it the same as running the 600w ballast?

just plug into the wall?

Suggested brand?

Suggested size 2" for a 4'wx3'dx7'tall tent.

what wattage?

I am going to look at the ones I can get to see what I find.. back in a bit.

After I just looked at some of the t5 systems available at the place I am going through man you guys got me thinking now!

The price I was going to pay for the bulb I can get the t5 system for just a bit more..

I would without a doubt go with HO T5 over MH for veg.

Instead of wattage for the t5 light system forget wattage... i need to say how many bulbs? 2,4,6,?

So far I was looking at this Sunblazer t5 system.
Product Information
•Fixtures include FREE Spectralux grow lamps.
•Advanced reflector design offers excellent reflectivity diffusion.
•White powder coated steel housing.
•Wire cable hangers included with every fixture. Now you can choose to hang horizontally or vertically.
•12 foot power cord & on/off switch allows for easy operation. Eight lamp model features two on/off switches to run four lamps at a time if desired.
•Louvered for cool operation.
•Run on 120 volt power only.
•Fixture includes the blue/grow lamps.
•Daisy chain feature allows multiple fixtures to be plugged in together.
•92.59 lumens per watt.
•5-Year Warranty.

I run a 4 foot 4 bulb HO T5 in a 2x4 veg tent and it works great. How many bulbs and the size of the bulbs will be dictated by the space you are using them in.

Looks like that ballast you linked indeed will work with both types of bulb. That being said I just don't think MH bulbs are all that. I would rather veg with HO T5 and flower with HPS.

I am thinking of doing that now. since that hortilux blue 600w mh bulb was like 1114.00 i can get the HO t5 system from sunblazer with the bulbs just a bit more.

At least you don't have a digital ballast if you bought the hortilux blue as I have read that they work best with the style you have so don't cry to much. I'm a fan of the hortilux bulbs . Tangie dank posted how both his cheap bulbs are ruined after one use.

I have gone nuts reading on best veg light for $ and power consumption and T5 HO can't be beat. I still can't say I like it better yet as I'm comparing it to a 1000watt MH hope it's the same. I'm going 4 foot 8 bulb in a 4x4 so same power as hammy.

I'd cancel that blue bulb order if I was you and get the T5HO your energy bill will thank you

Latest posts

Back