Now its mold...

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Poet

Reaction score
The biggest and most beautiful tops, cured in paper sacks, got a little mold!
Crop before last was dried a little too much.
So the last crop I put in grocery store sacks, after hanging a few days.
Sacks not too full and just folded over at the top.
I jared it up today and found 5% of the buds are moldy.
{???}

Guess I left it in the sacks unchecked too long, or put them in the sacks too soon...
Dern... it isn't bad and I can pick out the moldy buds.
9 quart jars and only one, {#10} is moldy, I'll just trash it.
The rest of them look fine.
Will I get mold fever?

Thank you...

Poet...

Under the same conditions you should expect the same results. So if you want different results you need different conditions.
The most crucial step in drying IMVHO is paying close attention in the critical period where surface moisture equalizes with internal moisture.
This is what works for me:
Hang until they feel dry, then give it another day or so unless your ambient humidity is super low.
Cut off the stems and put in something airtight. I like half gallon mason jars, or those giant plastic tubs that cheezballs come in. And you get cheezballs as a bonus. But clean the tub first ; )
Leave shut overnight.
Open in the morning and feel for dampness or softness.
Still soft? Leave open a couple hours or until the buds feel dry again.
Repeat until the buds feel dry when first opened, then let rest another 4-8 weeks to fully cure, checking every so often to be sure all is good. Gel packs help during this time.

That is a good tip from SA, it can feel dry but if you squeeze (gently) you can feel the moisture still in the middle. Give another day or two. We have no humidity where i live and I still am careful to dry.

Letting dry for 10 days without taking into account temperature and humidity sounds like a recipe for harsh smoke. I dry for a few days in my grow room where the humidity is between 40 and 50. Like stinky and rose suggest, I hang until the buds feel dry to the touch. Some of the smaller buds dry more quickly so the smaller buds get snipped off the stalks and into paper bags first and I check the ones left hanging daily and bag them up as they dry(usually that is only an additional day or so. Once the buds are all in a paper bag, I gently stir them around when I think of it for a day then jar them up with a humidor. If the humidity increases by 1% per hour or more or if the humidity is greater than 70%, I put them back in paper bags(folder closed) for a day. Once they reach 70, I will open the jars( I use wide mouth quart mason jars filled about half way) and let them breathe for a couple of hours. Then I gently move the buds around in the jar so the drier top material mixes with the moister lower and middle material. I try to get the humidors to read under 65 in a few days then I ‘burp’ the jars for an hour or so every few days so that the reading drops 1% every few days. Once I am at 62, I burp the jars weekly until under 60. I then store with Boveda 62 packs for long term storage. I like to smoke buds that are drier than 62 but that seems a good humidity for storage and the buds dry to smokable quickly when I remove them from the jars.

If my buds are somewhat fresh, next to latest grow like...they will usually be still just a bit too damp to burn easily...what I do is take a bit outa the jar and into a bottle that will fit into my end table...then I’ll grind a couple nugs and into a small pill bottle that stays in my pocket next to my pipe...I’ll hit it thruout the day whenever I feel the need. Usually after it’s ground and in my pill bottle it is just right for smokin...

well you take into account humidity in the room, but the slower your weed dries the better the smoke, drying too quick causes it to be harsh. Do what you will though.
That's the point of the long burping process as the moisture evens out and drops slowly. I've done it fogeys way for a decade and really like the results.
As a wise man once said, the Russians have a motto... chacun a son goût! ; )
The first challenge is simply getting them past the mold danger zone.

The biggest and most beautiful tops, cured in paper sacks, got a little mold!
Crop before last was dried a little too much.
So the last crop I put in grocery store sacks, after hanging a few days.
Sacks not too full and just folded over at the top.
I jared it up today and found 5% of the buds are moldy.
{???}
I think you need air circulation.

Never said it was to fix a mistake lol it is specifically to allow a long slow equilibration.
Also I should note that any magnesium bound up as chlorophyll isn't physically going anywhere. It's not like it exists at RT in a gaseous state and can waft off in the breeze. This is the reason for restricting fertilizer in general, and nitrogen in particular, BEFORE harvest, so that the plant has fewer chemical building blocks to work with and is making less and less chlorophyll as harvest approaches, and while the plant is still alive and its vascular system is still functional. Once it's chopped, the molecules within the buds may break down some, but the constituent elements are staying put.

The idea of burping the jars is not to fix a mistake, namely that you jarred them too early. The idea of burping the jar is to let fresh o2 into the jar to keep the microbes alive so they continue to break down the chlorophyll. There are many ways to do it, but you will not get mold drying your weed slowly if you control your environment and have good air-circulation. If just drying them was the point then follow the logic and throw a dryer on them and dry them real quick. wink wink
If I let my buds dry for 10 days, I would have harsh, hay tasting smoke. I do not have a humidor room dedicated to drying and curing bud. I doubt many hobbyists do and many of us are hobbyist. Your recommendation to dry for around 10 days would most likely leave the OP disappointed. I believe he lives in an arid area of Spain. There would be no cure at all. Just dry, harsh, lousy tasting smoke. As you said, do what you will...

No, thats fixing a mistake, jarring too early. Get it right and it's perfect before it goes in the jars to smoke, drying and curing...two steps.
Not a mistake if that was the intent and it works. There is more than one way to skin a cat and your ‘perfect’ method won’t work for everyone. You are assuming way too much...

I'm getting close to my first harvest. I've been reading and watching countless opinions on drying techniques.

One of the last videos I watched recommended that you hang your plants untouched for 5 days. The reason being to not dry out the buds too soon, the fan leaves drop over the flowers to assist with this. He also mentions that it's just a lot easier to trim at this point as well. After the 5 days, you trim the fan leaves and let it dry for a few more days. Then remove buds and place in jars for burping.

Burping is something a friend of mine stated is a very important step that many growers skip. This friend is an experienced grower with literally hundreds of plants.

Another video I watched stated to hang your plants until the stem no longer bends, but snaps. At this time, the buds are supposedly about dry, ready for the next step. They get a trim then they are placed in a jar for burping a minimum of 2 weeks. After this, they are supposedly ready for consumption. A wet trim is done prior to hanging, or a dry after. It was just stated that "different people have different preferences", no benefits to either method were given.

I believe both videos stated 60% humidity and no direct light.

I think I'll try a combination of both these methods - 5 day hang, trim, hang some more, then burp for 2 weeks. At which time I'll test things out and continue to burp for comparisons.

My basement is on the relatively humid side (100+ y/o house), its right around 60% all yr round. So I just have to figure out odor control...? One option for this may be to just keep my flower tent at 60% and hang above the q board(s) - plenty of space there, and a fan to move air.

It seems everyone has a method that works for them. And everyone has their reason/belief in why their way is best. I'd get an understanding of as many methods as I could and decide what you believe will work best for you and your situation.

Another recommendation is to get some Japanese pruning scissors. These are supposedly much easier to use than spring loaded. But also take some getting used to...

I agree on these points:
5 days or when the stem snaps, whichever comes later.
Japanese pruning snips are a joy! Bonsaiiiii! Lol
Burping is an important step. Don't skip it unless you have a humidor-like curing chamber.

I disagree on leaving the water leaves on through hanging. I worry about trapping moisture, and moisture can lead to rot. Plus the weight of them folds up the sugar leaves against the buds and makes trimming more tiresome. I find it easiest and safest to do at least a rough cut when the plant is still turgid- take off fans and hack sugars short. If I'm harvesting a bunch of plants, I'll take them a few at a time so I can do this before they have a chance to wilt. Manicuring to your preference is easier when you've taken extra mess out of the equatuon early.
Good luck and happy harvest!

I'm gonna need some snips before long and I was planning on buying some of those spiffy, Japanese pruning snips StinkyAttic referred to .... bit if they're foot operated ... I'm gonna need a new plan, 'cause I've got foot problems TOO!

Latest posts

Back