Nute change issues...?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caw

Reaction score
Sorry if this has been covered before...

This is my first hydroponic/DWC grow. What I'm noticing lately is that after each nute change my growth seems to slow down, or worse yet, a root issue (root rot). Not so much problems in my connected system, but in individual buckets. The roots dont look as healthy/white either. I'm not sure if its discoloration due to the nutes or something else.

I'm using tap water, PH'd to 5.8-6.0, and GH 3 part nutes, I've started adding Hydroguard as well, water temps about 63. I had been raising my ppm about 100-200 after a change. Not as much this last change 3 days ago. The Hydroguard by itself was giving me GREAT results. But not so much when combined with my regular nutes. Also, when I find my ppm has dropped and PH has risen I'll add nutes and the plants seem to perk right up.

Is it normal to have a minor slow down after a nute change? This didnt seem to be an issue while they were younger. Things have worsened as the plants mature with stronger root systems...not getting it.

No, this is not normal. What kind of DWC are you running? Do you have individual buckets or a recirculating system? Can you tell us more about it?

If you are having root rot issues, it is generally caused by either too warm of res water or not enough air. How are you keeping your res temps at 63? Do you have a chiller? Tell us about your air pump and your air stones. You need a lot of air bubbling through the nute solution to keep the roots happy.

How old are your plants and what PPM are you running now? Are you following the nutrient charts provided by GH? Also, you should probably be running your plants through a wider pH range. There are some nutrients that will not be taken up at 5.8-6.0. I used to start about 5.4 or so and let it drift up with 5.8-6.0 being the highest I would let it get.

Reactions: Caw
I'm with THG - res temp or not enough O2 -- Root sprayer here -- Have U considered a live res instead of that 3 part chemical U doing ?--I like hydrogaurd but I'm out - With a live res U farm the beneficial bacteria and they take care of the plant -- Look up product called Voodoo Juice - I use Batonacre nutes -- Label says 10 mils per gallon -- I'm at 3 mils !-- U need EM1 too !-- With a live res U can get away with monthly res changes - If there has been no problem I leave some the old nute water for the beneficials -- I use RO water and add some Cal/Mag --

One thing that could also help when combined with the excellent advice above is a low dose of cannazyme. It helps break down dead material so it doesn't sit there and rot. But be warned that the breakdown releases nutrients back into the water in an uncontrolled manner.

I don't do dwc for exactly the reason youre seeing; im terrified of getting a gunky ball of roots that cant breathe. But i DO use cannazyme in my res when i run ebb n flow, as a precaution.
It's worth looking into for prevention, once you've got the other factors idealized.

Plants are perking up today.

So...to answer some questions...

All the plants started in a two part connected system - 2 sets of 3 buckets connected to a 14 gallon reservoir. However, my timing was WAY off and I removed all but one plant in the connected system and put other 5 into a new veg tent - two had root lock (super slow growth) and 3 were from seed and needed more veg time.

After initial signs of root rot, I switched the 32 watt "commercial" air pump to the flower tent, and put the 50 watt air pump into the veg tent to cover the 5 plants. In haste, I bought some cheap Wallyworld bar stones while waiting on an order and a nute change.

Presently, I'm using either 2x2 (veg tent) or 2x4 (flower tent) cylinder air stones.

Thinking back to a prior nute change, the plant that got root rot, the water temp was about 68 (I thought that was in "safe range" at the time - not for Hydro obviously). Two days later she was suffering from drooping leaves and browning roots. Two days after adding Hydroguard she was good to go with a ton of new white roots.

Buckets are on a cold concrete basement floor. Presently no need for a "chiller". Come summer, I'll probably just use frozen water bottles.

Plants in flower tent are a minimum of 7 weeks old. Their ppm is at about 1375 right now and doing well, as of today. Veg tent only has 2 plants right now - 1 clone and 1 from seed. They are about 5 weeks old, ppm at 1100. The one from seed is the plant in question. However, it had perked up when I got home today.

Pics attached to get an idea of what I'm speaking of.
1. Evening out of canopy. Pic taken yesterday.
2. Present veg tent.
3. Veg tent prior to move to flower.
4. Blocks placed under buckets to even canopy.
5. You can see the connected system, prior to placing wooden blocks under upper buckets.

Attachments

• 20200107_161016.jpg
    20200107_161016.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 20200105_192023.jpg
    20200105_192023.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 20200103_234215.jpg
    20200103_234215.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20200107_071019.jpg
    20200107_071019.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 23
  • 20200105_191029.jpg
    20200105_191029.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 23
Other than having a cool enough Reservoir and enough air ....what is your standing PH throughout the entire system? Are you letting it swing up and down?

It does not matter what pH of the water going in is , the only thing that matters is what pH the nutrient solution that the plants are getting constantly and is it at least staying in an acceptable range?

I shoot for 5.4-6.4 max before I ph down. You want it to swing but you should see Vigorous growth every day.

If the nutrients are mixed strong enough you should not need to add any pH down. Also adding buffers to your water before you add nutrients is not recommended. The best bet is to add your nutrients and let it buffer down before trying to “correct” anything. Might want to look at an R/O filter if you don’t use one already.

Drop the three part and stick to a Lucas -similar 2 part formula.

Way less headache.

Hit them with some cal-mag before and during the flip to 12-12 ( I only had to when running over 20 strains at once) and some koolbloom if they look like they need it at the end of the cycle before “flushing”.

DWC is so easy to have issues throughout the system. That’s why I switched to E&F.

Might want to think about it too... Your ambient air temperature is so important with DWC.

Way less with flood and drain.

Jme

My flood and drain plants have always been more vigorous than any dwc i have grown. I have switched permanently as well.

Latest posts

Back