nutrient question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

username812

Reaction score
i have fish emulsions(5-1-1) for nitrogen, bonemeal for phosphorus and kelp(0-0-1) for potassium, all of my plants are having the same problem, the bottom leaves turn yellow with brown spots and eventually die off, ive looked around and have come to the conclusion that i have some kind of nutrient deficency, im thinking it has to be potassium since i have already given it nitrogen and plants dont need much phosphorus at this time. so my questoin is when do i give what fertilizers? should i use small amounts of all of them at the same time? one, one week, another two weeks later? any help would be appreciated.

P.s. I hate computer virus's.

let me say this little bit and leave the rest to someone else i tryed to folage feed with fish emusions and had the same problem so after that i just followed the directions 1 teaspoon per gallon and used other organics ferts for added npk. hope someone else can give you a more specific answer.and gl too you

What stage are your plants in, veg or flowering and how old are they, under how much of what kind of light, and all that jazz?

ps i ussually ad ferts as soon as the first week of sprouting but in a quarter strengh diloution . and then 1 time per week .

there you go ganga answer that question for me too. cause im still not 100 percent sure it was the fish emulsions . i was foliage feeding mine in veg and flower 30 min before lights light went out in flowering room and my veg room lights were 24/7 but i was getting brown spots on mine everywhere not just the bottom leaves . but when i quit using it the spots seem to slowly disapeer.

two of them are about a month and a half, the other three are about a month, under a 250w mh, still vegging, ph is fine. i was having the same problem with the older ones a little while ago and it was diagnosed with nutrient burn so i flushed them, which didnt help at all, then when the other three got to about the same size they started doing the same thing even before i gave them any nutrients, i gave them some fish emulsions, 1/4 strength, a week ago to see if it would help but just made the top leaves greener. thanks for the help guys

There's a lot of things that could cause the problems.

I'd suggest testing your waters pH. Bad pH can block nutrients from being absorbed by the plant.
Do you have adequate ventilation (intake and exhaust)?

ph is fine, ventilation is good, lots of intake, could use more exhaust though. ive looked around and ive come to the conlusion that its a potassium problem, i just want to make sure im right before i start doing things.

Hey there username. A nice easy way to exhaust your grow would be to cut/drill a couple holes if possible. If you've got air flowing in, it's naturally looking for a way out, and it'll find it sure enough with a few decent size holes.

Good luck ;)

A passive intake and a powered exhaust is superior to the other way around.

oh ok, i still havent gotten an answer to my question though

like ganga said there could be alot of factors relating to your problem , do you use hard water , filtered water , spring water ,soft water, ect could be a magnesium defiecentcy. you really need to get a soil tester to accuratly tell you what is wrong . but sometimes a mag defenciency will cause it to have brown spots and die off . but so can a calcium def and iron def. so please get a soil tester to be 100% correct if you cant afford 1 try some epsom salt first 1 teaspoon per gallon per plant and 1 half tea spoon per gallon to foliage feed. but dont overdo it either cause you can get other nutes locked out . try that for a week and see if that helps.

alright ill give it a shot, i use water from the faucet that i let sit out for a few days, im not exactly sure what a soil tester is or what it tests for but ill look into. thanks for the help guys.

they sell them at lowes, and home depot maybe even walmart this time a year . ps there is alot of nice grow books at them places too maybe you can pick up 1 or glance through it.

Latest posts

Back