NV's organic soil mix

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just hit flower a couple days ago!!! Perky and perfect!!!! I was impressed last run, this run is going so much better....I can't wait to see what I get this run!!!!

FYI to all making this recipe.....make sure it is WET...everyday for the first 30 days while mixing occasionally!!!!!

This is everyone's biggest mistake, I promise you this!!!

Without enough water in the first 30 days, you'll never get to veg your plants!!!!!

At least 20-30 gallons spread out over the cook period!!!!! At least!!!

that's really something else........ Bring yer blender !!!!

Iron Emmett said:
Try these guys THG, this is where i got my rice hulls, they pretty much have everything.
they have a 40 lb bag as well.

hxxp://www.groworganic.com/organic-soybean-meal-7-2-1-6-lb-box.html

Thank you a million Iron!

18cf organic soil or Pro mix or the like
2cf rice hulls
1tb per gal of medium or 12c, soybean meal
1tb per gal of medium or 12c, alfalfa meal
10lb's bone meal
18 cups Dolomite lime
4lb's epsom
6lb's rock phosphate
5lb's Azomite
1c humic acid
6lb's kelp meal
6lb's green sand
50lb's castings
8lb's Bio-tone/Plant-tone(depot)
Last edited by nouvellechef : 08-30-2011 at 07:06 PM.
18 cups lime and 4 lbs epsom salts will curl ANY plant !! I even asked NV twice! And, he affirmed this & recommended a 2 week cook time as well.
Somehow, it feels like the blind leading the blind here........

Nope, it's not the lime that's curling your plants. 1cup/cf is pretty much standard. The 4lbs of epsom, IDK, but doesn't seem excessive for 18cf+.

I say this because I've grown 'stuff' in pure crushed limestone. It was oolitic limestone *screenings*. Screenings come from a concrete plant and is the first screen to sort out aggregate sizes. A bit coarser than beach sand.

I would be looking at your N sources, either too much or not broken down enough. Alfalfa especially can burn roots, literally. That stuff heats up like crazy. Mix some with some EWC, moisten and stick your finger in it the next day. You'll see exactly what I mean.

I love alfalfa, but you really have to be careful with it. Soy can get pretty warm also, but not like alfalfa. I use 2x soy to 1x alfalfa in my mixes.

Wet

mountain man said:
18cf organic soil or Pro mix or the like
2cf rice hulls
1tb per gal of medium or 12c, soybean meal
1tb per gal of medium or 12c, alfalfa meal
10lb's bone meal
18 cups Dolomite lime
4lb's epsom
6lb's rock phosphate
5lb's Azomite
1c humic acid
6lb's kelp meal
6lb's green sand
50lb's castings
8lb's Bio-tone/Plant-tone(depot)
Last edited by nouvellechef : 08-30-2011 at 07:06 PM.
18 cups lime and 4 lbs epsom salts will curl ANY plant !! I even asked NV twice! And, he affirmed this & recommended a 2 week cook time as well.
Somehow, it feels like the blind leading the blind here........

well........i add a cup of lime to each pot when i flip to 12/12.....its necessary if you grow with multiple plant pots! i add a cup of lime to all my fruit trees in spring also!!!

the recipe is spot on perfect......i have made it more than 6x in the last year.....

its a must..... that it is wet down with 20-30 galllons of molasses/water through out the first 30 days of the cooking process.....

...........you will BURN the HELL out of the plants w/o cooking it......

it should grow alfalfa sprouts all over it after the first 7 days.........mix it up well, and the sprouts still keep coming for another week or so...by the 3rd week, they begin to stop and the mix smells great!

hope you get it worked out,

peace

MM

Another thing I'm thinking is the humic acid. Like which one was used?

I use the BioAg humic. It's very concentrated and even for 18cf, a cup would be a serious OD. I only use 1/4tsp for 5 gallons of water with this stuff now. Found out the hard way about using too much.

Just knocking things around trying to hit on something.

Wet

according to the chef...

in our mixes, we cut the casting to 25lbs and ADD...1/2cup humic.....

and i always make a DOUBLE batch....so i put 3 cups humic acid

however........the humic we are using is "Hendrikus Humic Acid" powdered...

45lb bag for $45..roughly I think!!.........online!

just wanted to pass this info on......

also, is the lime your using......agricultural lime, garden lime isnt the same!

i use lilly miller "soil sweet" from home depot...$6....get it online!

as i make this more and more.........the lime has been the savoir actually!

your ladies are looking good MM...is the mix still crazy hot, u said 1/4 strength...

just asking and trying to help dude....passing on my experiences too!!

Kush

I can't wait to start using my dirt. I have no idea what will happen. The humic acid has me scared, think i used too much, not sure... Hasn't reached over 60 degrees yet, setting there all winter. No sprouts or anything. hm the antici....pation is killing me.

Rosebud said:
I can't wait to start using my dirt. I have no idea what will happen. The humic acid has me scared, think i used too much, not sure... Hasn't reached over 60 degrees yet, setting there all winter. No sprouts or anything. hm the antici....pation is killing me.

it should be fine, dont worry, did u follow it to the T?

its in the tumbler? if you tumble it often then they(sprouts) might not grow as large.....

i usually wet it really good the first time.....15+gals mol/h2o....mix very well.....let sit 7-10 days.....MAD alfalfa sprouts everywhere....could almost make a salad, LOL! but really! then mix every few days to a week...wetting as needed 5gal at a time, just keeping it moist till 30days is up! then i plant!

also...its never below 55f in the room......when i return in 1 week....the mix is about 80f in the center when i put my hand in it!!! maybe hotter! its really noticeable!! thats a great sign its composting!!

it is amazing stuff...hers my veg room and a biker at 30days

P1000577.JPG

P1000578.JPG

P1000579.JPG

P1000576.JPG

P1000580.JPG

That all looks beautiful Kush. No, i did not follow it to a T. but close.

I have been surprised at no heat. I have a compost thermometer so i have been watching. It also has five gallons of my own compost in it. It has been cold outside. Our last date of frost is still 4 weeks away.

Kushluvr said:
according to the chef...

in our mixes, we cut the casting to 25lbs and ADD...1/2cup humic.....

and i always make a DOUBLE batch....so i put 3 cups humic acid

however........the humic we are using is "Hendrikus Humic Acid" powdered...

45lb bag for $45..roughly I think!!.........online!

There ya go. 45lb bag, sorta weak. What I use comes in a 100gm bag and that will make ~150 gallons. You have to mix it with water (well, I do), trying to mix tsp amounts into a mix is crazy. I use the humic water to moisten the mix. It would be 2-3 tsp for 18cf.

just wanted to pass this info on......

also, is the lime your using......agricultural lime, garden lime isnt the same!

i use lilly miller "soil sweet" from home depot...$6....get it online!

You have to read the label, they can call it what they want. My particular bag of dolomite lime also says garden lime. My bag of calcitic lime also says garden lime. Agricultural lime is usually calcitic, but I have also seen 100# bags of hydrated dolomite lime labeled agricultural lime. The ingredient list/guaranteed analysis is the only sure fire anything.

as i make this more and more.........the lime has been the savoir actually!

your ladies are looking good MM...is the mix still crazy hot, u said 1/4 strength...

just asking and trying to help dude....passing on my experiences too!!

Kush

But, you see my point about the humic? Stuff that is measured out by the gram vs by the cup?

Wet

Wet............3 cups humic for 300+ gallons of mix(X2 recipe)...45lb bag of humic last forever.......!! pennies on the dollar per 150gals of mix!

yeah, totally....im in no way disagreeing with you on this...just telling what i have been doing....if what you are doing works perfect for you, thats all one can ask....

...im under the assumption that MM is still having some heat issues....otherwise, im just putting what i have done with pics in this forum for beginners to look at and reference back to...if one was to make it too the T...

Rosebud....thx

you should still be fine...when it warms up a little ....things should perk up in there....all good!!! i have faith!!

Its makes about 150gal of mix. The Hendrikus bag is $18 for 20lb bag. Its a combo of humic and fulvic. I used to use just plain humic off ebay and its was like $15 for 1lb. I will try and snap some pics soon. I have some at week 4.

hendrikus humics kicks butt!! uber cheap and uber good product!!

Kushluvr said:
hendrikus humics kicks butt!! uber cheap and uber good product!!

No doubt.

What I'm saying though is, if you applied the BioAg product at the Hendrikus application rates it would be a serious over dose. Likewise, if you applied the Hendrikus at the BioAg rates it would be super under applied.

Not questioning the quality of either, just wondering what product MM used and at what rate.

A humic/fulvic OD could account for the problems he's having. I know from experience about using too much.:eek: I think BioAg says it will result in *abnormal growth*. LOL That's putting it mildly.

Wet

:yeahthat: Thanks Wetdog

I was trying to clear this up earlier. The soil mix calls for 1 cup of humic acid. Thats very general and in a lot of circumstances would be way too much. I didnt know however that you can burn a plant by using too much Humic acid.

Ive never had the need to buy it or use it in my mixes, so this is all new to me.

Yeah, that's just it with giving amounts but not the particular product, especially with something like humic/fulvic where the strengths/concentrations vary so widely.

IIRC, Sub's mix calls for 3 TSP of humic for whatever amount his mix is (12cf ??). He doesn't mention the product either although it sounds closer to BioAg's application rate. But who knows?

Like I said, I add it to the water I use to moisten the mix with. Trying to mix less than a 1/2 tsp in a wheelbarrow full of mix (2cf) will make you crazy and not get blended very well.

Wet

i hear ya.....i completely understand....ive made subs mix too, plus a few others.....

i just mix the hell out of it.....LOL!!! and yes, the ingredients are important...i just get what NC has, and it makes it uber ez!!! and im not complaining at all, im happy with the smoke....its getting better and better each round with the mix!!

Latest posts

Back