Observation and question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surfer Joe

Reaction score
I noticed that by having a lot of plants in my tent to veg, they started growing tall and their internode spacing was sort of long.
They seem to have focused their growth at the top and they are not bushy, whether a sativa or an indica, just sort of tall and lanky with lots of big fan leaves crowding around the top.
I guess that if plants are touching, it inhibits their growth in that direction.
Is that true or just a coincidence that all of the plants in the tent show fairly long internode spacing regardless of strain?
I expect to lose 2 or maybe 3 when they show sex, as they are regular seeds, but will they start to bush out if they suddenly have more room?
Now I'm worried that the yield will suffer because the plants were too cramped.
I will remember for the future not to crowd them like that again.

Is that what SOG does? Make a lot of tall, skinny plants with just one cola?
I think that for that, I should have used a bit smaller pots so that I could get more single colas.

It's called "Competitive Stretch". They compete for the light with each other by getting taller. Pretty sure I read that it has to do with light bouncing off other plants leaves on to the underside of other plants.

If your not limited to a certain number of plants SOG is a good method. You should look into "low stress training" for bushy plants.

Well, I planted 5 satori seeds hoping to get two females, but so far only one has turned male, and three are females, with one still undecided. The others are all feminized seeds and have shown their first pistils already. Even if the last satori goes male, it will still be crowded in there.
I might have a hard look at the plants and choose the best few, but I hate to throw away a good female plant. My choice is whether to try to get one good cola from each, and hopefully more, or whether I'll get more yield from fewer plants that have room to spread out, or if it's already to far along to have them bush out usefully.
I'm going to have to supercrop the tallest one, which is about 4 feet and just starting to flower. I already tried to fim it and it produced two new stems, so I probably only topped it. I fimmed one satori that has turned female and it has all sorts of weird new shoots growing around the top. I hope that one pans out.

How many Sq ft?

Might just flower them as quick as you can and just SOG.

Get them out in two months ready for new strains.:)

It is 1x1x2 meters (basically about 10 sq ft) and there are 8 plants in there now.
The 4th satori showed female today, so 4 out of 5 seeds were female. I had expected only 2 to turn female.

Try to train them...bending and tucking and pinching.

Tying branches back to the container if you need to.

Pics!!!!

Research super cropping, it can help combat stretch and help train bud sites where they need to be. Don't wait to flower to long! I prefer flowering at alternating nodes.

That's the way to do it...nice job bro. I hope to try SCROG soon. My problem is I usually have plants of different ages going in the flower tent.

This group got a bit out of hand on me, normally I keep them much lower & trained tighter to the screen.

These flowered 2 weeks ago, theres 40 of them in this room....White Widow, THC Bomb, Black Water & Dead Head.

That's the way to do it...nice job bro. I hope to try SCROG soon. My problem is I usually have plants of different ages going in the flower tent.

Hammy your girls always look great, perpetual grows are a PITA. The heights, and worse the nutes are all different. Shut it down for a bit, finish everything out,,,start fresh maybe ?

Hammy your girls always look great, perpetual grows are a PITA. The heights, and worse the nutes are all different. Shut it down for a bit, finish everything out,,,start fresh maybe ?

Good Points...I will take them into consideration. Thanks for the input my friend. I have thought the same thing. Really want to try SCROG but I am only growing for me and the wife. I always joke with her that she probably smokes better **** than Snoop Dogg. Thanks to communities like this. Only those of us who do this will ever truly know just how awesome growing can be and how much of a Community there is out there. I will do a SCROG soon. Might be a 400W HPS in a 4x4 tent first run but it will happen.

Hammy, you'll love SCROG I promise :)

Much easier to take care of plants(all same height, bottoms open for air flow, maximum bud sites per sq. foot.

Much higher yield(about 20-25% on average, depending on strain. The canopy is able to actually act as solar collectors...instead of the inside & lower branches getting no light, but still stealing the plants energy & nutes.

Much denser buds-see above ^^^but mainly because the light height is in the perfect sweet spot, because the canopy is controlled...instead of the light height being dictated by the highest plant/bud site. So hot spots are eliminated(lower heat to the plant), sweet spot lumens are concentrated on 80-90% of all plants.

A definite win/win...no matter what personal reasons for growing, we all want to grow the best quality, easiest maintenance, heaviest herb. There are many good ways to grow, this is one of them. If ya need any advice or pics, shoot me a line.

Rule #1 of Fight Club....happy wife, happy life :)

I am hanging on your every word. What is the ideal height to start a SCROG?

Bwana that is a beautiful site up there. Your pictures are amazing.

Thanks bwanabud. I am planning to try scrogging next grow.
For this one, I will probably have to supercrop the tallest ones before they're done.

bwanabud---nice carpet---looks like ur in soil---u water that by hand

rb---it's not about the height of the plants as much as it is about the depth of the canopy---it's the sweet spot in between enough light to penetrate the canopy while shading the top of the pots---light intensity dictates the thickness of the canopy

Hey Bwana, rocking scrog Brother :) Those are going to be some beautiful ball-bats when they are done. It will look like a stand of fat trees at the end.

I prefer to set my screen about 20-24" above the soil so that I can clean out beneath and get under the canopy to work. It also allows for good air flow. :)

Here are the girls in the tent. The tallest plant in the pic is now almost 5 feet tall and still has 2 months to go.
Any advice on how to supercrop them would be appreciated. Should I do it sooner rather than later? How much to supercrop? They are 1 week into flowering.

View attachment 9-29b.jpg

View attachment 9-29.jpg

Latest posts

Back