Odor control

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenman

Reaction score
My tent reeks! I am using a carbon scrubber but it still stinks to high heaven! I am afraid with a mere four weeks to go on this grow, that someone might smell what I'm up to , what else can I do to bring down the stench some?

Without a bigger fan/scrubber you cant bring the stench down. you could make a stronger stench right next to the tent with a Costco size box of incense though

Both fan and scrubber are huge! Scrubber is at least a foot in diameter, and about a ft and a half long, the fan is one of those centrifugal deals, high power

Maybe you need a new one. They do become less effective over time. I get a new one every 2 years.

It's the first grow with it, the strain is said to stink really really bad tho

I am growing the blue dream and it stinks real bad as well. I just put in new carbon and it still has some funk going. So I bought a bunch of the cheap smelly things at the grocery store and that has worked well.

How have you got everything connected? I am thinking that maybe things are not connected properly or you would not getting odors escaping from your space. People can stand right next to my space and smell nothing. So, let's look at your ventilation and see if we can offer some suggestions to get the odor in check.

It is connected to aluminum duct hose with duct tape , with the ducting running out ofthetent thru o hatch especially made for the duct , I have it all connected correctly , I would post pictures but I don't know how to do it with iPad without posting it to my fb timeline, and I definatly don't want that, I'm not very computer savvy

believe it or not theres a ton of diff places u could be leakin odor. personally I got all my fans sealed with 100% silicone sealant as well as initial connection coming off fan flanges. I mean u got the whole seam around the entire perimeter of the fan and with any pressure ur creating with the fan wetehr sucking or blowing ur gonna pull air in where u got lil or no resistance. u also got the filter itself. personally every single filter ive ever owned I will always takeand wrap duct tape around the top 3-6 inches of it. that carbon no matter how well was made at company u figure how much bouncing around that things done form time it got off the line and the time it gets to ur door step. just take and lightly squeeze in around the top of ur filter and so on way down toward steh bottom. mine always come where looser on top than bottom. also a trick to extend filter life when u think its sent, is to use it for smaller applications like veg cab or something just simply wrap the entire top half or beter wit duct tape. all that tighter packsd carbon at the bottom hardle gets spent up ever IMO and exp. most throw out first sign of being spent, but I can get another 6-8 months or better when I wrap top half and use for veg cab at lower cfms.
but I say for temporary at least take some good acrylic adhesive tape like foil ducting tape and seal any sort of leaks in ur fan. even screw heads will draw air in around the head. them companies can say all their sheets sealed all they want. any AC hood and fan I ever get , gets the silicone treatment first thing. don't forget where the chord goes into the fan itself. the whoel grommet dealy. all them lil tiny arse leaks add up and when creating hella amounts of pressure ur gona get smell thru.
and that goes as wel for any sorta ventilation connections, like ur reflectors if AC ones. they all add up . remember ur creating pressure and air fllows the path of least resistance first. and if odor control is ur very first and major priority then there is no such thing as overboard IMO. if u got one them cheap knockoff filters then take that dam thing and use it as a door stop or whatever and get a quality made one. that could be ur very issue there if its a cheapo. just sayin is all.
another things is ive grown strains like OG that there no filter in this world that can totally stop the dank from some true OG and a full closet of it. ive even doubled filters both ends one grow and still got smell thru. its was nuts. never again.

It is connected to aluminum duct hose with duct tape
replace that duct tape with some foil duct tape with acrylic adhesive. regular duct tape don't hold worth a beans with heat or temperature fluctuations or under pressure very well. and aluminum duct hose... man, if its the stuff im thinkin of then its prolly got lil pin o holes all over in it. . what brand or type of ducting is it. is it standard basic big box store dryer vent hose stuff? been there , done that, and never again LOL

Both fan and scrubber are huge! Scrubber is at least a foot in diameter, and about a ft and a half long, the fan is one of those centrifugal deals, high power
but first of all and most , sorta need to know equipment stats in order to actually give a real answer that'll even help in any sense. what fan and cfm and wat filter and cfm rate is t

It also matters where you have your filter and ffan mounted in relation to the tent air space. You want the fan pulling air out off the tent, not pushing. you also should have your filter mounted within the tent so that the air is pulled through the filter ffrom the outside off the ffilter, into the center of it. I usually set mine up so that the air flow goes from the inner air space, through the filter, thru the connecting hose to the light fixture, thru the light fixture, thru the next line off flex hose that goes out of the tent to where my fan is hanging next to the exit to outside my grow house.

Unless I get a air leak somewhere between the filter and the fan where it can pull unfiltered air through, I have no problems with smell. That is until I go open the tent and do some work in it.

You can get a secondary filter and fan that is smaller to sit within the tent so that the air gets prescrubbed before exiting. I have had to do that before on a larger grow space.

Latest posts

Back