offset lighting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tokinherper

python reguis addict!!!
Reaction score
i currently have 3 1000w hps's in a 10x10 tent. i want to set up some off set lights to help with veg and for under lighting the plants since the hps's will be above the plants from start to finish. i was thinking about setting up solo t5's on all of the supports for my tent. is this a good idea or a waste of money? also what about LEDs?

If you want side light just change your setup with the 3 1000s and hang them vertical... Instead of buying more lights....

JustAnotherAntMarching said:
If you want side light just change your setup with the 3 1000s and hang them vertical... Instead of buying more lights....

i want the effects of the differnt lights. so they veg and flower to the best of their potentiel. i've heard differnt lights can account for some cool colors aswell.

IMO, a waste of money. T5s and LEDs need to be within inches to really be effective. And while side lighting is okay (if done correctly), you do not want to expose the undersides of the leaves to light. I have never heard of different types of lights causing "colors"--it is in the strain or the result of cold. However if you want the effects of different types of light, I would recommend a dual spectrum bulb--T5s and LEDs are simply not capable of throwing light far enough.

The Hemp Goddess said:
IMO, a waste of money. T5s and LEDs need to be within inches to really be effective. And while side lighting is okay (if done correctly), you do not want to expose the undersides of the leaves to light. I have never heard of different types of lights causing "colors"--it is in the strain or the result of cold. However if you want the effects of different types of light, I would recommend a dual spectrum bulb--T5s and LEDs are simply not capable of throwing light far enough.

ahh gotcha. thanks. i have a 400w MH im not using. would it hurt to place it in the middle of the tent with no reflector?

you could consider using HPS->MH conversion lamps. that's what i do with 2 1000w lights in a 3 light grow. i tried mixing and matching them and didn't really see any tangible improvement over straight halide.

but those conversion lamps can be expensive and if i had to do it again i'd just get dual-purpose digital ballasts and swap regular bulbs as needed.

Old_SSSC_Guy said:
you could consider using HPS->MH conversion lamps. that's what i do with 2 1000w lights in a 3 light grow. i tried mixing and matching them and didn't really see any tangible improvement over straight halide.

but those conversion lamps can be expensive and if i had to do it again i'd just get dual-purpose digital ballasts and swap regular bulbs as needed.

yeah the 400w ballast has a mh>hps switch on it. my 1000w's dont. wouldn't adding the mh be better than straight hps?

for veggie - halide is the choice. hps for flowering...

tokinherper said:
yeah the 400w ballast has a mh>hps switch on it. my 1000w's dont. wouldn't adding the mh be better than straight hps?

I am quite happy running straight HPS during flowering. A 400W MH will only put out about 36000 lumens, but adds quite a bit of heat.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I am quite happy running straight HPS during flowering. A 400W MH will only put out about 36000 lumens, but adds quite a bit of heat.

im vegging.

im vegging with 2 600's, one MH and one HPS, i dont see a difference, JMO

well other than one side of the room is a brighter white and the other side is a dimmer yellow.

dman1234 said:
im vegging with 2 600's, one MH and one HPS, i dont see a difference, JMO

well other than one side of the room is a brighter white and the other side is a dimmer yellow.

But weirdly, the bright white of the MH is actually providing less light than the dimmer appearing yellow light of the HPS.

Latest posts

Back