OK, The Fan Test is in Progress

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hackerman

Reaction score
The fan is a 200 CFM inline duct fan Model Tubo-U 150 made by Blauberg. See the first picture.

The light is a 400w Metal Halide.

The tent is 3'x5'x7'.

No scrubber or filter.

For purposes of this test, I simply duct taped the fan to the light. No chains, no hanging, no ducts. Bingo. Done in 2 seconds. If I choose to go this way, I'll probably insulate it from the light, somehow.

The fan draws in the air from the tent, blows it past the light and through a 5 or 6' flex duct and out of the top tent opening.

You'll notice that I have filter material rolled up and stuck into the input openings. This makes them light proof. I am hoping it lets in enough air.

I set a remote for my temp/humidity sensor right on the pot where the plants will be.

The temp was 65F when I turned on the light. It is all zipped up and sealed and the temp went up to about 75F and is holding there.

I'll report back in a couple hours on the temperature.

View attachment fantest-1.jpg

View attachment fantest-2.jpg

View attachment fantest-3.jpg

View attachment fantest-4.jpg

View attachment fantest-5.jpg

View attachment fantest-6.jpg

View attachment fantest-7.jpg

Looks good so far. What you using in there for filter?

No filter or scrubber.

Besides, this test is over. The temp hit 80 and then 81. That's a fail for me. I like it in the mid to high 70's.

So, you can NOT use an inline assist fan as your only exhaust (just like everyone said LOL).

I suppose if you were on a budget and your light was less than 400 watts, it might work. However, with a 400 watt (even with no filter) this fan can not cut the muster.

I swapped it out for an Active Air I had on the shelf and so far, everything is fine (at about 1/2 speed).

Now, I know. LOL

I all fairness, I have to mention that today is the hottest day of the year so far. Past 80 degrees outside. Even my main room is up almost 10 degrees from normal.

Plus, I usually hang the temperature sensor from the ceiling and get the general room temperature. This time, I placed the sensors right on the growing medium, directly under the light. It was a harsh test for the poor fan. LOL

Even with my Active Air running at about 3/4 speed, the temp is over 80.

It seems like your pushing air through the light that has a glass cover.
How is the hot air escaping?
I would take off the glass and pull the air and control it with an adjustable controller, ill post pics of how my 5x5 closed tent with 1600 watts has no heat issues.

View attachment image.jpg

I am beginning to believe that you are right and all this "air-cooled hoods" crap is a bunch of baloney. LOL

Hot air from the open light rises and you have an exhaust fan on the ceiling..... worked for me for 40 years. LMAO

However, with a filter/scrubber I can see it's use.

I know somebody who blooms in an old RV and all he did was install a bathroom air extractor and that keeps his 1000watt hps/bloom room more then cool enough. Purely rhetorical and take it for what it is but you're right regarding exhaust fans.

The radiant heat coming off the glass feels like it is more than if the light was just open. Glass does create a lot of radiant heat. Think.... fireplace enclosures.

However, once again, a scrubber or filter requires this setup.

this might be a dumb question but have you tried shutting the intake vents up top ?
so it pulls air only from the bottom of the tent ?
atleast 2/3 of the air your pulling now is coming from the top of your tent and not pulling cool air from the bottom

i can put my hand and leave it there on my 400w cooltube so i know they work if they didnt i wouldnt be able to grow in my 3'x4'x5' box with 400w hps and 2 135w led's , 200cfm fan and filter , ac in the house set at 65 f just my 2 cents :) i mean i prolly could grow with a open hood dont get me wrong but in my little box i wouldnt feel safe doing it

and if you had 2 of those fans you could straight run one of them straight across the tent
intake straight into the fan and hood and directly out
then use the other fan to move air through your tent and out a filter

I took care of it. I used an Active Air fan to pull the air from the tent and I used the little booster fan for intake.

I put speed controllers on them both and I can dial the temp inside the tent to within a degree or 2 of the temp outside the tent.

Working pretty sweet. In fact, it works so well, I am going to use the same setup in my other room. Just waiting on the intake fan.

Latest posts

Back