OK to trim nugs off stems at harvest to reduce mold?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo27

Reaction score
Last year I lost a good amount of White Widow auto harvest to mold, the main cola was extremely tight. This year I have a Northern Light Auto harvest coming up soon and I was thinking that if I trimmed the nugs off of the stems and place them on wire racks for the initial drying phase, I'd get better air flow and the chances of mold would be reduced.

I would be worried that they would dry too fast, but big asss buds should be broken up a bit to avoid mold for sure.
My opinion

Yeah, last years main cola was awesome, big and thick. Lost the whole thing to mold. Had some good auxiliaries though that worked out.

I happen to like big buds and so do my friends. I don't cut them down. I simply keep the humidity around 60% once in jars and pop the lids until totally dry. I don't have a problem with mold and never have. The dank is in the details and the dry/cure process is just as important as growing it in the first place. I do it the old fashioned way by feel. No boveda packs or humidity tester for me.

Keep in mind different parts of the country have different problems....I live in high desert so mold isn't the problem that say a place like Florida would have.

I happen to like big buds and so do my friends. I don't cut them down. I simply keep the humidity around 60% once in jars and pop the lids until totally dry. I don't have a problem with mold and never have. The dank is in the details and the dry/cure process is just as important as growing it in the first place. I do it the old fashioned way by feel. No boveda packs or humidity tester for me.

Keep in mind different parts of the country have different problems....I live in high desert so mold isn't the problem that say a place like Florida would have.
Just how Big are we talking I meant tight donkeydicks and if they are tight formed Need to get some air movement around them.

Just how Big are we talking I meant tight donkeydicks and if they are tight formed Need to get some air movement around them.
About the size of my fist. The main thing is to make sure the buds are dried correctly before going to jars. Every beginner I have known rushes to jars..... congrats....you have just put wet pot in a jar....and they are amazed that the end up with mold.

About the size of my fist. The main thing is to make sure the buds are dried correctly before going to jars. Every beginner I have known rushes to jars..... congrats....you have just put wet pot in a jar....and they are amazed that the end up with mold.
I was under the impression they were asking how to dry the nugs not jar them WHOOPS My Bad

Last year I lost a good amount of White Widow auto harvest to mold, the main cola was extremely tight. This year I have a Northern Light Auto harvest coming up soon and I was thinking that if I trimmed the nugs off of the stems and place them on wire racks for the initial drying phase, I'd get better air flow and the chances of mold would be reduced.
Leo did you lose them to mold while trying to dry them or after you put the buds into mason jars
I am confused The way you worded it is open to interpretation

I go by feel and the snap of the stem for putting in jars.

I always thought hanging your plants increased the potency. However, I see a lot of people using drying racks now.

I'm going to have to make a decision soon. My plant is devoid of leaves and just a very few trichomes have turned amber. Day 86. Got some foxtailing now on the main cola.

I'm going to have to make a decision soon. My plant is devoid of leaves and just a very few trichomes have turned amber. Day 86. Got some foxtailing now on the main cola.
You are the only one that can decide when to harvest. Autos for me have gone 8-10 weeks depending on the strain. I grew a Lemon Haze auto and harvested at 8 weeks, I grew an Ak-47 and harvested around 10-11 weeks.

I harvested yesterday at day 90. Broke up the main cola....
P4120076.JPG

Latest posts

Back