Old Fogeys Mimosa and Mendo Cookies grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not even 2 weeks in the 1 gallon pots and the plants were getting close to being root bound. all transplanted and id'd. taking clones next week and probably flip shortly after that. need to build my flower tent back up again as i took it down thinking i would be taking a break...

I am trying cheapo LED that I will add in when I have my flowering tent up. I am going to clone them next week then flip them to 12/12 a few days later, still in the mother tent I have them in. Going to gradually introduce my King LED (from the t5’s they are under now)then the new LED. After the stretch (or until they get too tall)and I know the sex of the plants, I will get the flowering tent built back up.

Here is the info on my new light...
Cree COB LED Grow Light, Growstar Reflector Series 600W LED Plant Light Full Spectrum Dual Chip Grow Lamp with Daisy Chain for Indoor Plants Veg and Flower https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P8L4LLH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_GJNgDbC73V9EC

I am probably going to run both the King and the ‘Growstar’ thru flower. ‘Growstar’ sounds pretty cheesy but I got it for $79. As long as it doesn’t burn my house down, I’m happy to try it...

My last grow the plants did nearly no stretch. I think the amount of blue in the T5’s I have. I’m hoping for similar results this go round.

Hadn’t re-tied the plants after transplant. This morning the Mimosa plants were all less than an inch away from the lights. Tied them down a bit. The Mendo Cookies look very indica dominant and didn’t need to be tied down yet. My tent looks like a SOG grow(unintentionally). I better have some males in this bunch or I’m going to have to figure out what to do with the plants that won’t fit into the flower tent. Maybe I can stash a couple in the woods...

Fired up the new LED. Visually I think it is a little dimmer than my King 1200 but I figure it is brighter than the T5 I paired the LED with on my last grow. Literature says it draws 128 watts so that is about 90 watts less than the T5(a kilowatt a day savings during flower).

Plants have alternating nodes. I am steeping some willow branches for a cloning solution. I am going to soak my rock wool cubes in it and use honey on the tips of the cuttings. I read over norcalhal’s cloning tutorial on here and think I will use that as a guideline for these clones. I am pretty spotty on my cloning. I think I keep the clones too wet so they ‘think’ they don’t need roots. Cloning and flipping tomorrow...

Plants have alternating nodes. I am steeping some willow branches for a cloning solution. I am going to soak my rock wool cubes in it and use honey on the tips of the cuttings. I read over norcalhal’s cloning tutorial on here and think I will use that as a guideline for these clones. I am pretty spotty on my cloning. I think I keep the clones too wet so they ‘think’ they don’t need roots. Cloning and flipping tomorrow...

Hey of8! I've never heard of willow branches for cloning. I have thought of trying aloe though. Some guys on the tube said its great.
Of8, I cloned and flipped and lost my clones! Good luck to you on yours!

Willow has a couple of chemicals that are beneficial to rooting. Last year, my son cut an 8” diameter branch/trunk off of our willow tree. We tossed the branch out in the woods and it rooted itself. I’d read about a willow tea being a good alternative to cloning gel so I figured I’d give it a try. I get maybe 50% of my clones to root but wanted to up my game. I also think(from reading a few tutorials including a @NorCalHal tutorial) that I keep them too wet. I thought keeping them wet was key but I guess the cutting needs to seek moisture to root properly. We will see. The Mimosa strain comes highly recommended by members here so I want to keep at least one of each of the 4 plants I have. I will be taking 4 cuts from each plant. I am also interested in the Mendo Cookie strain which was a freebie but the breeder says it makes good crosses. Oops. Sorry I got a little long winded...

I have seen just about everyone in the OFC brag about mimosa. I've yet to try it myself. I cant wait to see what you do with them. I'm going to check out that tutorial.

I am using it as a guideline, not following it to a ‘t’. I am working with what I have on hand but will be trimming the clone up like he does and will be putting it on a heating pad(no temperature control). I have always stressed about getting the cuttings into water immediately because I feared an embolism but I don’t think that has been my issue. I will be soaking the cuttings in the willow tea, then a dip in honey(supposedly has antibacterial properties and vitamin b to think). Yeah so I guess loosely following his tutorial...

Took 4 cuttings off of each plant this morning. Soaked the cut end in. Some willow tea and then coated in honey. They are in rock wool cubes in a makeshift dome under a 2700 k 23 watt cfl. Fingers crossed. Didn’t flip to 12/12 yet. I think I want to put one of my LED’s in the tent and remove the 2 bulb t5 for a few days but that is a project for tomorrow...

509A1681-54D6-4158-A568-3728B567AF53.jpeg
Removed the 2 bulb t5. Replaced with my King 1200. Moved the fan I had at canopy level up to the ceiling of the tent and have another small fan blowing on the plants(gives more footprint space). Started 12/12 lighting. Probably next week I will put my bigger tent up. Hope to see what I have in a couple weeks. The clones look pretty healthy. I have resisted the urge to spray them but it is a hard road...

that is my 2x4x4 tent which is supposed to be a mothers tent. i flowered in it when i first started growing back in 2012 and my last grow was flowered in it as well. i am hoping the tent is light-proof enough to trigger flowering. i have cats and they are evil. they think the tent is a tree to climb so i have some claw holes...

my flowering tent this run will be a 3x3x6.5 footer i have.

I found a 5x5 for 130. Vivosun I think. I'm not using it yet but next run I will be. I marked the floor with tape to get an idea of the actual space it will take up. Its huge! I'll be able to walk around in it lol. My 2x4x6 I just reach into. For light leaks I used duct tape. Just in one area. I think next time I'm going to use a Silicon caulk as tape doesn't really like humidity.
That extra 2 1/2 ft is going to be really nice for flowering of8. I can't wait to see your girls grow up! They look great! It's also good to hear your gotten some years out of your tent.

I have used spray flexiseal (as seen on tv where the guy sprays a screen door and then uses it for a boat bottom)to seal up small pin holes in my tents. Works pretty well but the fumes are pretty bad.

6118F2E7-FBC5-4D77-BD9F-C2A00339A000.jpeg
9754B324-BF21-4CCC-8CEA-FE886121B624.jpeg
CE18EF54-4686-435B-B98B-709BFCCFA696.jpeg
Grrrr... 3 out of 4 Mimosa plants are males. Pretty sure one of the Mendo Cookies is too busy they seem a few days behind the Mimosas. So the Mimosa boys are outside for now. Going to try to harvest some pollen. I read you can preserve it and keep is dry by mixing with 4 parts flour. Anyone heard of this? I will be trying to pollinate one cola of the female Mimosa and one of the Mendo Cookies too. I’ll be destroying the male clones in a couple of days but unless someone wants them...

Three weeks into flower...
Mimosa:
B04947D6-31D1-448B-B576-A3BF32FF9C74.jpeg
9EEB5A12-3081-4645-89F9-DEE4CD5DF9AC.jpeg

Mendo Cookie:
B04947D6-31D1-448B-B576-A3BF32FF9C74.jpeg
9EEB5A12-3081-4645-89F9-DEE4CD5DF9AC.jpeg

Pollinated 1 small bud on each plant with Mimosa pollen and another with Mendo Cookie pollen. Additional LED or feeding heavier nutes seems to be helping the buds develop faster than I usually see.

Attachments

• 5B0681CB-4AB9-4046-9EA3-C24CB8E93E6C.jpeg
    5B0681CB-4AB9-4046-9EA3-C24CB8E93E6C.jpeg
    59.6 KB · Views: 35
  • F4DB9D6D-F2EB-46A6-812D-3FC78C2F1D8C.jpeg
    F4DB9D6D-F2EB-46A6-812D-3FC78C2F1D8C.jpeg
    61.9 KB · Views: 39

Latest posts

Back