old seeds

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samarta

Reaction score
I always have enough seeds when I order to do two grows. The problem is the age of the second grow seeds and germinating very slow compared to new. My question is can anything be done to help without harm? I like this method rather than just putting them in a res. because I like to keep the time the pump is in the res. to a minimum.

I germinate 10, 15, 30 year old seeds regularly. Trick is storing them correctly. I then scuff them with wet/dry 600 grit sand paper and soak them in a 30 layers of paper towel in water mixed with some H2O2. Really old seeds I use some gibberellic acid with water and put in paper towels

Thanks umbra, you must use very little H2O2 or wouldn't it be harmful? And why so many paper towels?

The H2O2 is to kill off fungi or pathogens. The paper towels get wrung out after soaking and the extra layering is to give the seeds an even moist setting. I got the technique from DJ Short at the Emerald Cup 1 year

I germinate 10, 15, 30 year old seeds regularly. Trick is storing them correctly. I then scuff them with wet/dry 600 grit sand paper and soak them in a 30 layers of paper towel in water mixed with some H2O2. Really old seeds I use some gibberellic acid with water and put in paper towels

How do you store them correctly?
mine are in a plastic vial in a glass jar in a drawer

I would have thought that refrigerating would kill them. But I did have them in a little glass vial.

I'm going to plant 10 plants. What kind of lights do I need?

LED's, CFL's, HPS, T-5, all work fine so you want what is going to work with your grow area. I use led, and cfl so I do not have as hard of a time controlling heat. I like full spectrum and multi-spectrum 5,000K and 6,500K for veg. and adding a couple 2,700K led's multi spectrum during flower. How many? I'm not sure for you as I only grow a couple at a time using three 110 watt cfl's with four single bulb led's during veg. and add a black star led at flower.

I would have thought that refrigerating would kill them. But I did have them in a little glass vial.
refrigeration will not kill the seeds. Think about Nature, Cannabis growing wild in some places, reaches freezing temperatures. I'm not saying freezing the seeds is a option for Mother Nature is different as they get drove into the ground by rain, and so forth. Which is the reason Umbra said to scuff the seeds. Scuffing the seeds is a scarifying process that removes the film from the seed allowing it to pop a lot easier. I myself soak seeds in a glass of water after scarifying overnight. They usually sink and you will see a split or a root tail coming from the seed. Then ,as a matter of preference, I use coffee filters, instead of paper towels, because coffee filters are less porous and doesn't allow the roots to bore into them as easily. Actually after taking them from the refrigerator it tricks the seed into thinking its spring.

No Thanks needed, Your welcome to ask questions of me at anytime. Reading Unbra's Remarks are beneficial. I read his a lot and agree with most everything he says. Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) is very beneficial for all sorts of things. Someday we'll discuss a Harvest Bud Wash for Outside Plants. Outside Plants get all type of creepy Crawlies and Animal Hair on them. :)

Latest posts

Back