old v new

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rp12bar

Reaction score
Looks like a great forum. I had a very large indoor farm, (sea of green), but shut it down in the late eighties, because things were getting a little too close. But to my point, Im an old guy now and have a card (not that it would do me any good if needed) and starting to grow again.
What a drastic change since the old days. Every thing is new! I used to get bout a 1/4 ounce to a plant, folks are reporting that they get over an ounce,as much as two. Todays set ups and nutes are radical to me. Im four weeks into bloom and my buds don't seem to be as big as I remember. I have two thousand watts in bloom room and two six hundred in a tent for veg. I use foxfarm soil, and foxfarm nutes. I pretty much go by what the bottle says. I am vented well, and have an air cond. still seems a little warm, 95 degrees.
You guys see anything wrong or am I just in too big a hurry to see stuff. I have a few white widow and a bunch of kush. I would post pictures, but as I said, Im old, I dont know how. If i figure it out I will do so. It only took me three days to figure out how to join you guys. Thanks for any help, and again, great forum.

I have been growing since the early 80 and, yes, many things have changed since then. Growing is more a science now. We have learned a lot about the botany of the plant and how to manipulate our indoor grows to optimize yield.

I need a little more info about your growing space...

Two thousand watts of what in how much space? How far from are your plants from the lights?

What (exactly) does well vented mean? Do you have a good quality exhaust fan that is actually exchanging the air in your space? The temps in your space are too warm. You really need to try and keep them below 85F--below 80 is better.

How many plants do you have going? Where did you get the seeds? How old were they when you put them into 12/12?

Any pics?

Thank you so much for your reply. Problem is, I cant figure out how to answer you back, so Ill do it this way and see if you get it. Sorry for being so comp. stupid, Im working on it.

My room is ten by eleven. I have a 4x8 tent in the room with two 600watt bulbs. The main room has two 1000watt bulbs. I also have an air conditioner in there. Im not sure what size vent fans, and I cant go in there right now, but I will check tonight. I have cut holes in my floor and am drawing air from under my house which is very cool. I have filters in tandem with fans drawing air out of room, also too hole in floor. The exchange seems more than enough to stay cool, but it just doesn't seem to work. Not sure now what to do to cool down. I have one white widow and twenty kush in bloom and about the same in grow, I took cuttings before I put them into bloom. The clones seem to be doing ok but I think they may be a little stunted from the heat. The orignal clones were given to me so I dont know how old they were but I put them in bloom at about twenty four inchs high. The white widow were seeds I bought from amsterdam, which I now don't recomend cause they all didn't make it cept for the one. Again, thank you for the input.

What type of air conditioner do you have, window or portable unit?
if it isnt being vented out of the room they blow alot of hot air and can be almost counterproductive.

The first thing i think of is , most of us here use air-cooled hoods on our HID systems. If you are using older style gear you might just have a bare bulb or a open air reflector on your bulb(s). so if your ambient air in the grow room is where your heat is going and then relying on fans or a/c to regulate the temp ,you might be making things harder than needed. Is your light Air cooled? I meaN, is tthere an exhaust fan drawing hot air off your bulb directlyat the light?
I just remember seeing older set-ups and bare bulbs and this might be one of those advances you mentioned that could really lower your temps. That might not be the case at all, but from what you described its the first thing i think if. Pics would help alot. I'll see if i can find the thread explaining how to post pics easily. I'm sure someone wrote one up recently.;)

Solanero said:
The first thing i think of is , most of us here use air-cooled hoods on our HID systems. If you are using older style gear you might just have a bare bulb or a open air reflector on your bulb(s). so if your ambient air in the grow room is where your heat is going and then relying on fans or a/c to regulate the temp ,you might be making things harder than needed. Is your light Air cooled? I meaN, is tthere an exhaust fan drawing hot air off your bulb directlyat the light?
I just remember seeing older set-ups and bare bulbs and this might be one of those advances you mentioned that could really lower your temps. That might not be the case at all, but from what you described its the first thing i think if. Pics would help alot. I'll see if i can find the thread explaining how to post pics easily. I'm sure someone wrote one up recently.;)

Thanks for the advice. I am not air cooled and have open bulbs. They didn't mention that when I bought them. I got a butt load of money in them, so cant change for a while. I do have a lot of cool fresh air comming in and fans sucking it out. it's those ones you buy a the indoor garden stores. I put another one in last night and it seems to have helped a little. still around 90 though. I will get some help on the picture thing. I really see the need for it. Thanks again for the advice. Should have done more reserch be fore I started. Lesson learned.

Iron Emmett said:
What type of air conditioner do you have, window or portable unit?
if it isnt being vented out of the room they blow alot of hot air and can be almost counterproductive.
It's a portable, but I have it vented through the floor. Your right though, I quit using it a few days ago and my temp stayed almost the same. That confuses me. Thanks for the advice.

I really can't get a handle on your ventilation with all those fans. Could you list all the fans you are using (be specific--I am not familiar with "...those ones you buy a the indoor garden stores") and how and where they are being used. IMO, it is going to be extremely difficult to keep your light cool with open bulbs. You are not going to have to buy whole new light systems, but you very well may have to invest in air cooled reflectors.

Two 1000W HPS are only good for a max of about 60 sq ft. So before you get too gung-ho about redoing the fans, I am going to recommend that you get your grow space down to a size that your lights will handle. This will create more heat, so we are going to have to try and figure out how to deal with the heat. Unless you can get it down to below 85, you are going to have some problems.

If you are venting your A/C through the floor into your crawl space....isn't this the same place you are trying to get fresh cool air from?

This is the kind of thing you might be looking for:hxxp://www.htgsupply.com/Product-CoolTube-6in-Reflector.asp
(replace 'xx' with 'tt' in the link ) no live links

We use these or similar and might be just what you need. That's only one style, there are many to suit your need,tatse. Browse around and get a feel for the new stuff, you'de like to think that we've gotten better at this as time goes on huh?
Anyhow, enjoy your re-emergence into the field, hope it all goes well:)

still workin on posting pics. got them to my computer but am lost again now.
I don't see any paperclip to attach photos.

oh, maybe i can help a lil. Once you have them on your PC then click' go advanced' you'll see a preview then a text box, where you write in, and if you scroll down a bit you'll see a 'manage attachments' button, click it , then you should see options boxes for 4-5 photos i believe, click one, then direct it to where you have the photo stored.
This is all assuming that the pics are already re-sized( you can't load huge pic files, they must be reduced) A good application for this is 'Picassa'
Lets see if that helps , if you need help resizing thats another thing( not hard) Try it out.

Got them in a folder 0n comp. also on picasa. Cant find a "go advanced" Also piscasa wants me to regester. do I need to do Tha? It let me size without doing it.

View attachment 176279

When you find Go advanced (pic above) scroll down to Additional Options

There you will find an option to Manage Attachments

I wouldn't bother with Picassa, too much hassle. Just use Paint on your computer to resize.

Hope this helps

The "Go Advanced" box is right below the box you type in--one box says "Post Quick Reply", the other says "Go Advanced". If you are already in Advanced Mode, the boxes will say "Post Reply" and "Preview Post". After you are in advanced mode, go down lower and click on "Management Attachments".

Now lets talk about your room. If you have a 110 sq ft space with a 32 sq ft tent in it, it leaves you 78 sq ft of space left. You indicated that your growing space was 6 x 9, but if you do not have that space blocked off with reflective walls, the light from the 2 1000W HPS will disburse throughout the room and you are, in effect, trying to light 78 sq ft rather than the 54 you indicate that your growing space is. Two 1000W HPS will cover about 60 sq ft max. However, your real concern now is the heat. Are you running the nights at night in your flowering space? That will help. I also really need a real rundown on the types of fans you are using and the cfms of each, where all the intake air comes from and where the exhaust air is being exhausted. Do not use the filters unless you need them--they cut down on the cfms of the fans you are using. Sorry the guy you bought stuff from was such an idiot--I cannot imagine why he would tell you that you did not need air cooled reflectors, especially knowing nothing of your setup.

The Hemp Goddess said:
My grow space in the bloom room is 54sq ft so I think Im good there. The fans are black or white and all inclosed cept ether a 4inch or 6inch intake and out take they push and pull a buttload of air and cost bout 150.00 a pop. The guy at the store said I really need them. wish I had found you guys sooner. You are right about the air cond. I shut it down and it helps a little also I open the door when the lights go on , that drops bloom room to between 85 and 90. the veg room is still hot but they seem to be doing ok. I will get air cooled reflectors as soo as possible. Thanks again for all your guys help and understanding. I really can't get a handle on your ventilation with all those fans. Could you list all the fans you are using (be specific--I am not familiar with "...those ones you buy a the indoor garden stores") and how and where they are being used. IMO, it is going to be extremely difficult to keep your light cool with open bulbs. You are not going to have to buy whole new light systems, but you very well may have to invest in air cooled reflectors.

Two 1000W HPS are only good for a max of about 60 sq ft. So before you get too gung-ho about redoing the fans, I am going to recommend that you get your grow space down to a size that your lights will handle. This will create more heat, so we are going to have to try and figure out how to deal with the heat. Unless you can get it down to below 85, you are going to have some problems.

If you are venting your A/C through the floor into your crawl space....isn't this the same place you are trying to get fresh cool air from?
My grow space in the bloom room is 54sq ft the fans are ether black or cream colored. They are all inclosed except for ether a 4inch or 6inch intake and outake and they push and pull a whole bunch of air. you are right about the air cond. I shut it down and it helps a little also I open the door into the rest of the house when the lights are on that gets me to about 85 degree in the bloom room. the veg room is still to hot but I can fix that. I have air cooled reflectors in there just dont have them hooked up(I know)I will get new reflectors for bloom room as soon as possible Thanks again to all you for the help and understanding.

Runbyhemp said:
View attachment 176279

When you find Go advanced (pic above) scroll down to Additional Options

There you will find an option to Manage Attachments

I wouldn't bother with Picassa, too much hassle. Just use Paint on your computer to resize.

Hope this helps
Thanks I will try that I have the pics in both file and picasa.

The Hemp Goddess said:
The "Go Advanced" box is right below the box you type in--one box says "Post Quick Reply", the other says "Go Advanced". If you are already in Advanced Mode, the boxes will say "Post Reply" and "Preview Post". After you are in advanced mode, go down lower and click on "Management Attachments".

Now lets talk about your room. If you have a 110 sq ft space with a 32 sq ft tent in it, it leaves you 78 sq ft of space left. You indicated that your growing space was 6 x 9, but if you do not have that space blocked off with reflective walls, the light from the 2 1000W HPS will disburse throughout the room and you are, in effect, trying to light 78 sq ft rather than the 54 you indicate that your growing space is. Two 1000W HPS will cover about 60 sq ft max. However, your real concern now is the heat. Are you running the nights at night in your flowering space? That will help. I also really need a real rundown on the types of fans you are using and the cfms of each, where all the intake air comes from and where the exhaust air is being exhausted. Do not use the filters unless you need them--they cut down on the cfms of the fans you are using. Sorry the guy you bought stuff from was such an idiot--I cannot imagine why he would tell you that you did not need air cooled reflectors, especially knowing nothing of your setup.
Damn your good. I think the guy saw me comming and wanted to unload some crap. I went ahead and put in air cooled reflectors last night and the room stayed about 70 all night. That problem solved, yes I do run lights at night. I have reflector paper on my walls and I measured the room again, it's still 54 sq ft. I think the tent takes up a little more space than I thought, not touching the wall and such. I will look for the cfms on the fans tonight but they do a good job. I really need the filters, I am very close to neighbors and their already too friendly, so need zoro smell. I am now drawing air from my attic(Which is very cool) and dispensing to the crawl space. I think your exp. has been a great help, along with a few sugestions from other folks. Still trying to get pictures up loaded. I followed what you all said but just get lost. Oh well you know what they say "enough time and money, and I can do anything." thanks again. I will let you know on the fans.

Latest posts

Back