oldfogey8’s Mimosa clone mother scrog attempt

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As the song says ‘time goes by so slowly’. I was a bit antsy the past couple of days. The plant is looking pretty lousy. Light burn, wind burn, nute deficiency/lockout, transplant shock, prune shock, general malaise, etc. no bugs so I guess there is that. The clones sharing the tent are tickled blurple though so I was thinking maybe the mother plant just needs to be deep sixed so I can grow out the clones. Then I looked at the date stamp on the first post and realized it has only been a week since I started this fiasco. Hoping for some healthy new growth in the next week or so. If not, I will fall back on the clones.

The jury is still out on this scrog. I am not very optimistic...

38F38AEF-456D-48A0-85F6-70CB8D39B2BD.jpeg
1EDC6B3C-292C-4892-A8DB-EA75513809E3.jpeg
0A699464-068E-4BC4-B825-B5AC9674FA3F.jpeg

Attachments

• 4809D7AF-F406-46B4-876A-4EE6B3787092.jpeg
    4809D7AF-F406-46B4-876A-4EE6B3787092.jpeg
    142.3 KB · Views: 11
About time to flip. Thats a full screen

For future reference, if any of you have a-hole cats that use your tent to test the sharpness of their claws, there is a product called liquid electrical tape that works like a champ in repairing light leaks...

thx jf. this plant had a tough life. it was living in my furnace room under a 2 bulb 4 ft t5 fixture for about 10 weeks. i shocked it pretty badly by repotting it, over pruning, under feeding and then light burn and possibly wind burn. nute deficiency could be just because i fed it maybe 3 times in that 10 weeks. i don't check ph as i am using organic nutrients.

OF8, yeah just using organic nutes doesn't give you a balanced soil. You need to check ph every time you feed them nutes

I have not checked pH since I experimented with the GH 3 part system a couple years ago. And did not for several years prior to that either. The only lockout I suspect was when using GH nutes because I wasn’t checking pH and I should have been. From what I have read, checking pH is not something normally needed in organic grows unless you somehow kill the micro herd somehow.

LOL, that's if you have a balanced soil mix, not just adding some organic nutes

If you mix your own super soil and let it cook for a couple months, then yes you have a balanced organic soil that doesn't need to check the ph, otherwise it needs to be checked. Simply adding organic nutes to some soil doesn't create a balance organic soil. It simply isn't enough time to develop the micro organisms necessary.

If you have the tools, use them! I don't think that there's anything to be lost by doing a quick runoff test! What you find may surprise you, AND save your plants! As umbra says, you can't assume that just running organic ferts will automatically set your ph. I'm in a coco-compost-peat soil which may indeed have some qualities organic growers would appreciate, but really isn't all that complex, and have to be careful because the canna bio Flores that I give the plants as a treat actually comes in at a lower pH when mixed than the power flower I run most of the time, and absolutely has to get adjusted up. Use the skills and tools you have to the max! : )
And yes, flip. Once you're committed to scrog, and the screen is covered, repotting is virtually impossible so think of it as a ticking clock - you're trying to win the race so they don't get angrily rootbound before finish.
You got this!

I don’t have a pH meter so that is not a tool in my bag. I value the input and may visit the pH part at some point. Could be that the plant was so neglected and root bound that the soil-ish mix I use became barren. It was repotted shortly before I put it in my tent with some fresh soil. The clones are happy in the soil but maybe the amount of new soil isn’t enough to offset the spent soil in that mother plant. I am going to flip the lights probably later today as you folks have recommended. I did some more pruning and have 6 of the cuttings trying to root. I’d like to repot the clones I have before I flip though but I have some family stuff to do today do this plan might be pushed until tomorrow...

Clones up-potted. Added my King Plus LED. Flipping tomorrow after I figure out where to put the clones(old and new) so the feline menaces don’t eat them...

If you have Netflix and get extremely stoned and check out David Lynch’s ‘What Did Jack Do’. Bizarre. Monkey Interrogation...

up-potted plants looking good. the new clones all look ok too. no wilting and i have only spritzed them once when i first took them. unrelated to this grow, i am being robbed blind at night by 3 good old fashioned crooks in masks...

IMAG0827.JPG

Clones up-potted. Added my King Plus LED. Flipping tomorrow after I figure out where to put the clones(old and new) so the feline menaces don’t eat them...

If you have Netflix and get extremely stoned and check out David Lynch’s ‘What Did Jack Do’. Bizarre. Monkey Interrogation...
So I watched it, lol. Bizarre would be appropriate. But Jack's confession about his relationship with chickens is disturbing.

The clone mother is looking better with new growth not so much stretching as it is growing nicely right node spacing. Tucking and repositioning branches reaching for the lights daily. The 4 clones I now have under the t5 look happy but I need to enclose them in something as my damn cats are grazing on some of the fan leaves. The cuttings are still looking happy. No wilt. Getting some yellowing which as I understand it means they are consuming nitrogen and are probably taking root. Rapid Rooters and Dip ‘n’ Gro must be the ticket. Thx stinky and umbra. I wasn’t even very careful with the cuttings this time as I just lopped them off and didn’t worry about air embolisms. An old friend of mine who grew tomato plants that went up to the 2nd story of his house used to say plants like to get roughed up and not coddled. Probably something to that. The young fogey is getting ready to harvest his Mimosa and Mendo Cookie plants at the Hubbahdston Fogey annex. Curious how his will differ from mine. Same nutes but different well water and more of a laissez-faire approach using my old 2x4x4 mother tent and a couple of smallish LEDs.

Latest posts

Back