on/off debate...24 or 18/6

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happydaze

Ayyyyyyyyyy!
Reaction score
I've recently been having my veg light (400watt MHConversion) on for 24/hrs 7 days a week, they are femmed beans in FFOF. I've read where a 24 hr photoperiod will induce more males whereas 18/6 is easier on them... any comments...what do my (fem growing) PEEPS here use to veg? Any relevance to hermies and longer photoperiod or no?

thanks 4 your time...

-Happydaze

p.s. and by males i mean hermies (for fem beans)....

Right on SmokeMyPiece,

any hermies at that light schedule (if femmed beans)? I'm assuming no...but one must not ASSume...

24/0 is the way to go in veg,

24/0 will not promote males or hermies, it will on the other hand prevent stretching and keep internodal gap nice and tight, it will also speed up veg period so you can flower sooner

dman1234 said:
24/0 is the way to go in veg,

24/0 will not promote males or hermies, it will on the other hand prevent stretching and keep internodal gap nice and tight, it will also speed up veg period so you can flower sooner

:yeahthat:

24-0 is not going to cause hermies in my opinion either. There is only one reason I wld not run my veg tent 24-0....and that wld be a summer grow where I was trying to control temps during the hottest part of the day. Jmo.

Yep as said above, I go 24hrs as well, unless I attempt to grow in the summer (like this year) and have to battle heat...I went 20/4 and had them off during the hottest part of the day.

right on everybody....golf claps to everyone for posting.

Thanks to all

-Happydaze

The only reason I see for running lights 18/6 or any other setup with a dark period in veg would be either heat probs like hammy said or if your running metal halides and trying to keep your electric bill at bay as much as poss. IMO

It will help with temps in the summer, but not the electrical bill, you will have to veg longer at 18/6 so elec cost is a wash.

Ya i guess your right unless your run a constant veg room all the time. But yeah it still will take longer per plant.

stemjosh said:
Ya i guess your right unless your run a constant veg room all the time. But yeah it still will take longer per plant.

Plants grown under 18/6 and 24/7 may actually grow at the same rate--be the same height. The difference is that the plant with 24/7 lighting will have tighter internodal spacing and be bushier than the 18/6 plant, thereby having more budding sites and more bud.

I do run my lights at 24/0 I was just sayin that was the only reason someone might but i run t5 and flouro in veg so power isnt an issue:cool:

I totally agree with the fact that 24/0 owns 18/6 :p

With 100+ temps every day I am forced to run my MH 18/6, but as soon as the temps drop to the middle 90s I will switch to 24/7. Don't expect that to happen until late october or early november, but we could get lucky, who knows.

Thank you all so much for responding. I greatly appreciate it. I've had my 400 watt MHCOnv lamp on 24/7 and its remained a constant 78 degrees(even thru or TWO whole daze of 80 degree weather lol) in the veg room. They've grown into just beautiful girls (w/ one more slender/stretched profile indicating a sat dom...or a herman :eek: )

anyways my peeps here rock ty kindly.

-Happydaze

:rofl: don't worry...one of these yrs you'll see one...or maybe two :rofl: i'm just kidding friend. ty so much for your input.

YYZ Skinhead said:
Stay with 24/7. Since I exclusively started doing clones and feminised seeds I haven't seen a testicle in years.:smoke1:

I do a 18/6 cycle, but that is just personal preference on my part.

Anything over 18 hrs of light is GTG.

Wet

Latest posts

Back