One step behind?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lightspeed

Reaction score
New to growing, and in particular indoor and seems I am usually one step behind when it comes to maintenance. Yesterday, 6/29, local grower supply shop suggested I switch from the 18/6 light cycle to a 12/12 cycle which I did a couple days ago. Just read article this am indicating I should have kept the lamp off for 36 hours before switching? I would be interested in comments and or suggestions as to whether I should now just leave them be??

Initially started 6 seeds in small hydroponics kit in Feb., planted them in soil in large containers in May, 5 survived. In June moved them to a 5x5 enclosed tent. Purchased a 700 watt Viperspectra LED lamp. Currently looking into purchasing an inline fan and filter?

Appreciate comments or suggestions.

What up light speed ?-- I'm run a 4 part bloom rotation !-- I veg at 24/7 -- Then when they big as I want I move them to bloom at 12/12 !-- Right now I been running lots of midgets - I 'm looking for outstanding plants to clone !- I run Mars--Hydro 300 watt reflector series LED lights !-- Any other type of lights would make too much heat for me!--I don't do anything special with the lights !-- !-- Don't over think stuff !-- Veg at 24/7 or 18/6 -- bloom at 12/12 !

Keef, I be thinkin the plants; 2 @ 2ft. high and the other 2@ approx. 1 ft high possibly too small to start turning them to a flowering stage and perhaps I should put them back on a 18/6 schedule until they get a bit taller?

I do thank you for the input!!

I do not know anyone that deprives their plants of light for 36 hours between veg and flowering. Where did you read this? What is the justification for this?

Please take this as constructive criticism, but if you started seeds in Feb and 2 plants are 2' and 2 plants are 1 foot, something serious is wrong with your grow. Can we get some pics? That would help us determine whether they should be put back into veg. And can you give us more information re: lighting, soil mixture, nutrients, ventilation, etc.

Quite possible I misread the article?? The plants have only been in the tent for approx. 10 days, before that they were setting among the redwoods with approx. 8 hours of sun. The first 2-3 days in the tent I was having an issue with a new timer which I replaced and for the past couple days I have set them on a set schedule.
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_0004.JPG

https://www.420lightguide.com/flowering-stage-marijuana/

The following ratios of darkness and light are suitable for various stages of Marijuana flowering: –
For the maintenance of growth, 18-24 hours of light and 6 hours of darkness is sufficient
  • To boost Marijuana flowering, 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness is advised
  • When you switch between the two above mentioned stages, make sure you provide plants with 36 hours of darkness.
  • If you wish to harvest plans before time, reduce light time to 12 hours every day.
  • When you are in the flowering stage and are using the 12/12 ratio, a few extra dark hours will not pose an issue.
Marijuana flowering is all about altering the environment of the garden. Once you can control light effectively, there is no looking back!

Last edited:
I have tried using the 36 hour off time to try to "boost" the flowering hormone production. I found no difference in the flowering with doing that or just switching to 12/12 and running with it. I no longer use it. I veg my plants (under 24hrs light) until they are the size I want (and have reached sexual maturity) then I move them to flower space and allow them a few days to acclimate to the lights before switching to 12/12. There is much debate over using 18/6 versus 24hrs of light for vegging. I have grown many varieties of Cannabis using the 24hr light and have never had problems.

Just noticed your flowering guide says, "if you want to harvest early". YOU DONT WANT TO HARVEST EARLY. You want to harvest when the buds have reached full ripe. This can only be determined by looking at the trichomes (resin glands) under a 30x or stronger magnifying lens. I use a jeweler's loupe 30x. You should know what the breeder time for flowering is and then adjust at the end by watching those resin glands. They will become milky/cloudy when they are ripe. Ideally you want to see about 90% or more milky/cloudy and 5-10% amber across the total resin glands on a single leaf. Some strains of plants will take longer than others. Most of the hybrid strains will take about 9-11 weeks of flowering to reach full ripeness.

Great information, I thank you!! I have since purchased inline fan, filter, and silencer to complete the ventilation system but after a few day removed the silencer, the tent temp was getting into the low 80's, I intend to temporarily remove the filter during the hot spell in an effort to maximize cfm fan exhaust. Going to experiment with the 24/7 cycle the plants seem to respond well to the light, this is my first attempt at growing and considering the mistakes I have made I appreciate the comments and suggestions from MP member!

' the problem with engaging in useless activity is never knowing when you are done'

Latest posts

Back