only 24 hrs in a day?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MosesPMG said:
I will try and find that study Hamster, thanks. The only thing that makes me suspicious of the results is that 12 hrs is supposedly the norm but 10 hrs isnt enough to enduce flowering so of course 12 hrs would out produce 10 hrs. I would like to see 12 v 14 hrs :D

10 hours of light is enough to cause flowering....that wld be 14 hours off.
My point is increasing dark hours will not be a positive thing...if anything you wld want to trick the plant into flowering with more then 12 hours of light....get what I mean? More light more THC....more dark less THC. I think that is the key behind autos finishing up so quickly. They are not limited to 12 hours of light. They can soak up 20 hours and still continue to flower. Again JMO

Oh sorry hamster I thought you were saying 12 and 10 hrs off. My bad mate. I really need to find that study then. Ill post it if I can find it. Thanks

MosesPMG said:
In flowering when the lights are on the plant is absorbing energy, and when the lights are off they use the energy and actually flower. more dark = more flower.

While I could be wrong, I do not believe that this is true. What the dark does is trigger the hormone that causes the plant to flower. I believe that that is the only function of the dark during flowering.

The plants are on a 24 hour schedule because this is what they have evolved with and it is what they do best with. I have read of several studies that tried other light schedules--none of them resulted in anything special. If there was something better, we would know about it by now.

Not all species of plants do well with a 24/7 light schedule--some of them do need a dark period. However, marijuana is not one of them. Countless studies have shown that they grow faster and with closer internodal spacing with 24/7 light than something less.

Hey THG! Thanks for stopping by. It is starting to seem to me that light plays as much a role in flowering as darkness does, and is why I guess 12/12 really is the best. Exactly half and half of each. I guess nature does know best. Thanks everyone for this wonderful discussion, and thanks for teaching me something new about the best plant on the planet :D

There are some interesting things going on in the world of indoor food production. There's a company in The Netherlands called PlantLab (plantlab.nl) that is doing some very interesting things including photoperiod manipulation.

There may be some new science in this area coming.

Thanks for the link BBFan. When I get a bigger place I want to grow more than just cannabis indoors. some chili peppers seem nice :D

Moses

I remember someone several years back on either OG or CW, that did some experimentation with extended photoperiod. I wish I could remember the specifics, but I "think" it was working with a 36 hour day(18/18) maybe??

i 'do' remember that it lengthened the flowering times extensively, and the results weren't positive, but that's about all..:p

moses, that study hammy is referring to is quoted in chapter 4 of Rob' Clarkes "Marijuana Botany" ;)

Thanks Hick...I cldnt remember what chapter it was in. That book is so full of great info that I have more then half the book highlighted..lol kinda hard to find specific stuff that way.:)

Anybody looking to get a good look into the inner workings of the cannabis plant shld give it a read....it is a bit dry but wow is it loaded with great stuff.

Thanks Hick and Hamster, I saw where Hick posted the link in another thread. Happy 4/20 mates :D

Hamster Lewis said:
Thanks Hick...I cldnt remember what chapter it was in. That book is so full of great info that I have more then half the book highlighted..lol kinda hard to find specific stuff that way.:)

Anybody looking to get a good look into the inner workings of the cannabis plant shld give it a read....it is a bit dry but wow is it loaded with great stuff.

RIGHT!.... educational, but not a particularly 'entertaining' read. I think I've probably referenced chap 4 far more than any other in the book, but it is all relevant and enlightening.

from what I have encountered reading about growing( i am not sure if MJ is included), I have this info that increasing the dark cycle in flowering will speed up the flowering process and more potency but u lose yield. thats all I know. good luck but u can experiment that and let us know with 2 plants with exact strain and treatment only with light cycle different cycle as u suggested.

platii said:
from what I have encountered reading about growing( i am not sure if MJ is included), I have this info that increasing the dark cycle in flowering will speed up the flowering process and more potency but u lose yield. thats all I know. good luck but u can experiment that and let us know with 2 plants with exact strain and treatment only with light cycle different cycle as u suggested.
read the book plati... it has studies indicating otherwise

Hick as long as you have personally stepped on my toes on this I have to silence my scream. Is it an online book or i have to order it from a store, because if i have to order it I really cant import it to my country:eek: .

by the way my little plants is missing your comments and advices, I was following up your tips ,also I have some wonderings about white spot( i posted a pic).
sorry off topic.

Sorry plati.. I thought this was the thread with the link posted in it..
hxxp://www.greenmanspage.com/guides/botany.html

change the xx to tt and you're golden :)

I looked at your post about the spots too. "I" coyldn't really see them, or anything to be stressing over too much. SHE looked pretty healthy from my perspective

Latest posts

Back