only 24 hrs in a day?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MosesPMG

Reaction score
Because it is possible to grow cannabis indoors, does it have to be restricted to a 24 hr cycle? I know there are some rules on vegging and flowering but I am wondering if they cant be bent to maximize your harvest.
EXAMPLE

Most people already agree a 24/0 cycle is best for vegging and you cant do that outdoors, and is where I got the idea for this.

Now for flowering I know a plant needs 12 hrs of darkness to start flowering and cant receive more than 12 hrs of daylight or it may reveg. With that being said could you increase the number of dark hours while keeping the light hours at 12, essentially making one day 25 to 27 hrs long. The plant would get more hrs of darkness without sacrificing any hours of light. Just a thought. Thanks

Moses

MosesPMG said:
Because it is possible to grow cannabis indoors, does it have to be restricted to a 24 hr cycle? I know there are some rules on vegging and flowering but I am wondering if they cant be bent to maximize your harvest.
EXAMPLE

Most people already agree a 24/0 cycle is best for vegging and you cant do that outdoors, and is where I got the idea for this.

Now for flowering I know a plant needs 12 hrs of darkness to start flowering and cant receive more than 12 hrs of daylight or it may reveg. With that being said could you increase the number of dark hours while keeping the light hours at 12, essentially making one day 25 to 27 hrs long. The plant would get more hrs of darkness without sacrificing any hours of light. Just a thought. Thanks

Moses

I dont know, but i have thought about this, 12 hours lights on and 14 hours of dark.

YES something exactly like that mate. I would love to do a study on it. if only i had a room and not a box lol.

why have 14hrs of dark? They only need 12....No light=no growth imo.

Plus i,ve never seen a 27hr timmer.

In flowering when the lights are on the plant is absorbing energy, and when the lights are off they use the energy and actually flower. more dark = more flower.

it would be a bit crappy turning them of at 9pm one night then 11pm, 1am, 3am, 5am i think if it would benifit we would all be doing it JMO

Hey Fruity, I know the light schedule would be really weird during flowering, just didnt know if anyone had thought about it. I guess your right though, if it was better someone would have thought of it :D

i dont know if it would do anything, and as mentioned if it would be good i expect we would have heard of it by now, but the timer thing is a non issue, once a day at your convience you adjust it to adapt to the schedule.

as long as we have been growing this stuff.. im sure its been done. and im sure 12/12 worked better. and im sure thats why everyone does 12/12. maybe google it.

Thanks guys! I thought I had a wonderful epiphany and unlocked the secret to pounds, but I guess not :aok: oh well, I still enjoy this chat :D

ok these are just my thoughts..

if your gonna use the theroy that the plant uses energy from the light to grow during the dark to produce more bud then why not just run your light for 12 hours then go dark for 24? it doesn't make sense to me to even attempt it. it makes sense to me that if the plant knows its suppose to get 12hrs of light to flower then shouldn't it know how many hours of dark its gettin aswell?

i hope that don't make me sound like an ***.. it just seems like a hermie waiting to happen. you can adjust alot of things in your grow but i wouldn't play with light times to much. keep it on a 24 hour day and if you need a bigger yeild upgrade your gear.. JMO

nah Slowmo, you dont sound like a donkey :D I can see your logic of it turning your plants into hermies. Really I just wanted to know if you could add another hr or 2 to your dark cycle for some extra flowering time. I could see a big change turing your plants to hermies but maybe just an hr to add that little extra? kinda like how some people put their plants in 48 hrs of total darkness right before harvest to finish it out. idk im just thinking. no hard feelings mate :D

I still have trouble with vegging under 24. I know it helps stretch and they seem to like it fine, but I wonder what really is going on in their dark period that I am missing. I do it though. Would all plants do well under 24 hour light?

Ive heard a few people say a 24/0 veg cycle is preferred no matter the strain. Im sure it wouldnt hurt to do for the first few weeks if nothing else to help with stretching

24-0 veg for MJ is fine, it has been proven over and over again, as for other plants like veggies, i just dont know Rose.

yea man... unless they are flowering the dont NEED dark.. 24/7 light works great.. the reason for the dark in veg is to let your lights cool or save power.. but now days most everyone uses T8s or some sort of energy saver lights to veg so it really doesnt make that much of a differance..

I believe there was a study in the late 70's that showed twice as much THC was produced with 12 hours of light then 10 hours...that wld make me think that extending the dark period even after 12 hours wld not being doing your plants justice in the THC department...jmo

I will try and find that study Hamster, thanks. The only thing that makes me suspicious of the results is that 12 hrs is supposedly the norm but 10 hrs isnt enough to enduce flowering so of course 12 hrs would out produce 10 hrs. I would like to see 12 v 14 hrs :D

Latest posts

Back