Only indoor 6500K CFL during vegetative growth or can I mix in some sun?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leo27

Reaction score
Here in South Florida we have a good deal of sun and warmth during February-March. I'm starting a White Widow Auto in a 3 gallon pot and I have the option of using only indoor "daylight" 6500K CFL lighting 18/6 or I can take the plant outside on sunny days and, of course using the CFL to make up the rest of the time indoors.

During flowering, I would switch to "warm" 2700K CFL lighting and take the plant out for sunning as above.

Do you think it would be better to just use the 6500K CFL during growth and save the sun exposure for the flowering stage considering the somewhat low angle of the sun and it's redder spectrum?

I can't say I know a lot but part of my last grow was partially outdoor like that. I'm in Illinois.
I had my 5gal. cloth pots on a 4 wheel cart and rolled them in and out thru the entire grow and it worked out great.
I have a seperate dark room for flowering cycle I rolled them in to.

Lesso is so right...even allowing your pets to go outside and then hangout in grow room can bring unwanted guest..I got the "Borg" that way once...cat brought them into grow area. I was fortunate it was close to end of the grow and they only hit a couple branches with limited damage.

I agree with lesso and hp. I had to deal with spider mites in my grow room after doing what you are asking about. Not a fun activity or worth the energy savings. You might want to look into better lighting as well. CFLs are not very efficient and probably won’t give you the kind of bud you are looking for. LED lights are pretty affordable and offer more usable light with less energy consumption.

Thank you.
I can't say I know a lot but part of my last grow was partially outdoor like that. I'm in Illinois.
I had my 5gal. cloth pots on a 4 wheel cart and rolled them in and out thru the entire grow and it worked out great.
I have a seperate dark room for flowering cycle I rolled them in to.

THANK YOU! I APPRECIATE YOUR COMMENT TO MY ORIGINAL QUESTION.

LOL--EVERYONE answered your original question. Taking your plants outside and inside can and often does bring pests and disease into your grow space. While spider mites, aphids, whiteflies, etc, etc may not be a problem outdoors as there is so much foliage to choose from, but once you bring pests into your grow space they can be next to impossible to get rid of. Anyone who has had spider mites knows this. If you get pests in your inside space, you may not even be able to finish them and the light question becomes moot.

LOL--EVERYONE answered your original question. Taking your plants outside and inside can and often does bring pests and disease into your grow space. While spider mites, aphids, whiteflies, etc, etc may not be a problem outdoors as there is so much foliage to choose from, but once you bring pests into your grow space they can be next to impossible to get rid of. Anyone who has had spider mites knows this. If you get pests in your inside space, you may not even be able to finish them and the light question becomes moot.

Pests are VERY low in South Florida at this time of the year. I was taking my first plant in and out (before my light fell on it and broke it.) and there were no pest issues. So, I still want to hear about the lighting issue...BUT, I suppose I will proceed as planned since only ONE person gave me advice on the original question.

I battled the Borg just once, and it was enough to never want to battle it again.

"Do you think it would be better to just use the 6500K CFL during growth and save the sun exposure for the flowering stage considering the somewhat low angle of the sun and it's redder spectrum?"

The answer is no. Keeping them inside under 24 hours of light would be best. You will get better results in a tent with the full intensity of the lights going 24/7 with Autos. No need to bring in any pests or possibly tip off others to your grow.
I think you posted this looking for the answer you want and not the answer you need. Many people answered your question yet you singled in on one.

I battled the Borg just once, and it was enough to never want to battle it again.

"Do you think it would be better to just use the 6500K CFL during growth and save the sun exposure for the flowering stage considering the somewhat low angle of the sun and it's redder spectrum?"

The answer is no. Keeping them inside under 24 hours of light would be best. You will get better results in a tent with the full intensity of the lights going 24/7 with Autos. No need to bring in any pests or possibly tip off others to your grow.
I think you posted this looking for the answer you want and not the answer you need. Many people answered your question yet you singled in on one.

Thank You.

Oh geez someone speaks Canadian here we're all foutre.

Free lumens are tempting. But even if you are in a season of low pest activity, they can still infest a plant. Pests are temperature dependent and when things heat up, their metabolism quickens and so does the life cycle. An infestation can appear overnight when you hit the temperature they like best for breeding.
Even here in New England we have overwintering pests that can come indoors on that random stash of pots in the shed that ya yank out in February thinking the hard freeze killed everything.
Don't poohpooh these guys' advice, it's spot on.
Or go ahead and fixate on the "original question". Your plants, your choice.
Indoor outdoor plants are just... not done. Pick one or the other, and commit to it 100%.

Latest posts

Back