Ontario, Canada checking in.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkleaf

Reaction score
Hello, Im new to this so please bear with me. Like everyone here I have my reasons for wanting to start a new chapter in my life by becoming completely independent. After moving to a new town, I've realized I'm too old to try and find a decent connection that I can rely on consistently. I hope to get the hang of this so that I too can one day help out others here with the seemingly overwhelming task of trying to just enjoy life the way I want to.

A few (stupid?) questions...
I smoke about a half ounce a week, what am I looking at in terms of plants to make that happen on a yearly basis?

My hydro bill, am I going to have the hydro company or the the cops banging down my door due to a spike in my utilities?

I will be starting my grow indoors but would also like to try my hand at outdoor as well, what do I do about the deer? Or other random critters? They walk right up to my house and eat anything and everything constantly which I dont really mind but ya not when it comes to my plants..

Seeds? I'm paranoid about having them mailed to me/credit info going into some machine for future reference etc..

Is there a couple must have books I should pick up?

Mold in my house I cannot have this, I'm assuming a tent would be the way to go?

Price? What am I looking at to get this of the ground? I want to do this right I live alone and its just for me so a parts list to get me off the ground would be appreciated.
I have no interest in ordering any of this online.

I feel completely lost at even where to start.. even after browsing around here for a couple days. I just want to sleep properly again, laugh like an idiot, you know enjoy life on my own terms..
Thanks for any help I appreciate it.

Welcome to MP.... first hit this: :48:

depending on strain flowering takes anywhere from 50 days up to 20+ weeks... if you find something that flowers around 60 days you can get roughly 6 harvests in a year... you would need to pull 4+ oz per harvest to keep you at your 1/2 a week pace... IME you can do that in a 2x4' tent... I doubt you will be able to grow anything outdoors and finish flowering that far north other then Autos in the middle of summer...

Seeds are easy but they will need to be shipped... don't waste money on books... all the info you need is here... start with reading all the stickies in the grow section...

your prob looking at $600+ minimum to get started properly if you shop around online for the best prices... if you go into a store you will spend waaaay more... as far as your power and water bill keep them paid up and you should not have any worries...

If this sounds feasible then we can start getting a list of everything you need together... good luck... go read... :48:

Hello, first off im in Ontario also, ordering on line either equipment or seeds is completely safe. You will recieve your seeds just fine. I have done it dozens of times. Even if they did get intercepted nothing would happen to you.
As for outdoors you are probably aware tens of thousands of pounds of outdoor weed is available in Ontario after the outdoor season so if you are looking to go OD next spring you can make some clones indoors and you will be ready to plant OD mid May.

As for your hydro bill it is a non issue, as long as you pay it and pay it on time you will be fine. The hydro company likes to make money so just pay your bill and you will have no issues.
You are looking for 2 ounces a month so i would put 3plants into a flower tent every 5 weeks. Ex 3 go in 5 weeks later 3 more go in, 5 weeks later you harvest your first 3 and add 3 more and so on. So you always have 6 inflower harvesting 3 every 5 weeks.
I would be looking for a tent,a 600 watt hps/ mh switchable ballast a 6 inch exhaust fan and filter. And if money is ok a 4 bulb 4 ft T5 light fixture. You have a ways to go but with a small investment and the ppl here onthis site you will be producing quality bud in no time.

Welcome darkleaf! You have just been given advice by one of the best. We got ya covered on what you need to learn. We are glad you are here. There is nothing like your own smoke...it is better then what you are used to I imagine. This is a great adventure. enjoy.

If Canadian white tails are anything like Michigan white tails, they'll happily munch your outdoor plants all the way to the roots. If you've got a spot where it won't draw attention, build a cheap cage out of chicken wire.

Growing cannabis is not like growing other plants. It is a high energy plant and has very specific needs and wants. I cannot over stress the importance of knowledge--read, read, read, and watch a few videos. Keep in mind when watching videos, however, that people can and often do lie about what their setup will do. For instance, never believe that you are going to be able to pull ounces every month with a few CFL bulbs, "...Marijuana Buds for Less: Grow 8 oz. of Bud for Less Than $100..." :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: THAT just isn't going to happen, regardless of what they may make it look like on videos. Understand that there are really no short cuts and there is no cheap equipment that is going to produce dank bud in any kind of quantity.

Like mentioned, buying seeds online if very safe--probably the safest part of growing. I think that it is important to start with good genetics. You will know what you are growing, approx. how large it will get, what the high is like, and how long it will take, plus any other tidbits the breeder's throw in, like feeding habits or training methods recommended. Since you are already in Ontario, you might want to check out Hemp Depot. I get a fair amount of seeds from there and they are in ON.

LOL--whether you have a wish to order stuff online or not, I believe that you are going to have to. Why this paranoia about buying stuff online? I feel far far safer buying things online than driving my vehicle to a grow store to buy a mass of equipment when anyone could be watching--cops, thieves. I live in a little tiny teeny mountain community with the closest shopping over a mountain pass and about 65 miles away. I order virutally all of my growing supplies online and have done so since the late 90s with no incidents. Buying things online does not get people busted. What gets people busted is loose lips, uncontrolled odors, and growing "trash" left lying around. That means tell no one, setup your ventilation right, and dispose of all trash appropriately.

Preventing mold has nothing at all to do with whether your grow is in a tent or not. A tent will not prevent mold nor will another location encourage mold. Mold is a result of a not good environment. If your space is overly humid, you will need a dehumidifier. I grow in closets, as this is really best for me. I have a 2 x 4 vegging space in one of the closets in my master bedroom and the flowering space is in a 3 x 6.5 closet off the master bath--makes taking care of the plants easy, but my bathroom somewhat resembles a potting shed. But, like you, I live alone so have no one else I have to ummm please.

Do you intend on a separate vegging and flowering space? This is probably advisable and allows you to do a perpetual grow like Dman suggested. I like to put plants in every 10 days to 2 weeks though, so I can harvest at about the same intervals. We will discuss cloning when you get to that stage.

We had another thread recently where we were talking about whether we could set a space up for around $600...and I think we came close.

If using tents, I would recommend something like a 2 x 4 for vegging and a 4 x 4 for flowering. If you have closet spaces about this size (or you can make them about this size, you can forego the tents which will run over $200). You can find most, if not all, of these things on Amazon and their prices tend to be very good.

Vegging space:
4' 4 or 6 tube T5 light fixture with tubes in the 6400K range
A 4" centrifuge fan, a fan speed controller, and a small oscillating fan

Flowering Space:
600W or 1000W dimmable HPS/MH light setup
6" centrifuge fan, a fan speed controller, a 6" carbon filter, and an oscillating fan

Miscellaneous Supplies:
Pots
Medium (check out some of the soil recipes in the organic section)
Nutrients
pH meter, calibration fluids and pH up and down
Ducting
Thermometer
Hygrometer

I have forgotten some things. We put together a list a while back for someone with links to where to buy, but I cannot find it right now.

Boy didn't I get talkative....must be the rainy morning, the Irish Cream with my coffee, and the Larry OG Kush...

Welcome to MP. Looks like peeps already got ya covered. We are here to help.

Thank you all for the warm welcome and the detailed replies. I guess being paranoid about ordering online is just me being nervous about catching some stupid charge after a lifetime of staying out of trouble. I have a lot of reading to do and I really appreciate the fact all of you are so willing to help. I will be sure to read as much here as possible Thank you!.

@ THG That post is gold thank you for taking the time to write that up.

hempdepot for seeds if you want to send cash and have no internet-interaction. I have used them plenty, and know of many others that agree they are upstanding to say the least!

peace :)

hempdepot for seeds if you want to send cash and have no internet-interaction. I have used them plenty, and know of many others that agree they are upstanding to say the least!

peace :)

I have to have used Hemp Depot several times... they have never let me down... :vap-leafy_wave:

Welcome to MP. Help is only a question away. If you`re an old fart, check out "Curmudgeonland...Home of the Old Farts Club" in the "Coffee Table" section, for a little humor along with an answer or two. Peace.

Latest posts

Back