Opinions on this system ? Thinking bout it

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
looks good to me , big fan of external reservoir but you would need to have a water heater in it .

I always wonder about the noise level with a system like this....is this something you have checked out or would it not be a problem. I just see a 400 gph inline pump and the waterfall making a lot of noise. And as a plumber, the water system somewhat concerns me, too. You have the pressure of a 400 gph pump and outside irrigation type thin walled tubing that is just pushed onto barbed fittings. If you are in an illegal state and have a flood, you would be kind of SOL.

Whether you would need a reservoir heater or cooler would depend on your particular circumstances. I suspect with the water continually circulating with a pump that the reservoir will be more in need of cooling than heating, unless it is kept in a cold place.

I agree with THG for the most part... circulating water between the tanks makes daily management a LOT. easier...... However yo have every connection that has a risk.... 400 GPH is not a huge high pressure pump so that is not a big concern....I dont know the system personally... but I would inspect the quality of the connections...

So, I am going to be building a RDWC for this winter's grow and have been studying a lot of different commercial systems for ideas. This is a pretty nice system for the price. In fact, chatting with someone, they noted how reasonable the price was, given how expensive those silly 13 gal buckets and the 3" bulkhead fittings are. My main concern with this system is the use of thin-walled outside irrigation line with push on barbed fittings. While 400 gph may not sound like much, it is about the volume of 3 fixtures--imagine that your shower, your kitchen sink and your bathroom sink are all turned on full and running water out onto the floor--this is the volume of this pump. However, considering that this system has 3" undercurrent lines, 13 gal buckets, and the waterfall thing, I am not sure whether a 400 gph pump is actually adequate. Think I'd be going with a 1000 gph. While kind of a PITA, you could make this system a lot safer by using hose clamps at ever hose connection. They make great water detection devices for a good price. For under $30 you can get one that sounds an alarm, much like a smoke detector. For about double that, you can get a wi-fi one if you are away from home a lot.

I am building that very system right now. I like it and the pressure on the push on barbs is NOT an issue. However, the grow room sounds like walking into a tropical fish store with all the water movement. Haven't decided wether or not to use it yet.

Keep in mind the optimal reservoir temps. Mine is running at about 74degrees in a 72 degree environment

I am building something somewhat similar, but only going to use 1-1/2" for the bottom "under current" lines, 6 (maybe 8) 5-gal buckets, and 1-/2" PVC for the upper waterfall lines. I have a bedroom that is at the end of the house and noise will not be a real issue.

The Hemp Goddess is a plumber and I have had the pleasure of her work in my house. We are lucky to have her here.

I wasn't throwing shade at the goddess to use a younger mans words. I was just saying in my kit hose clamps would be a waste. In order to get the hoses properly sucured over the fittings I had to use a heat gun to soften the hoses up. After they were cool agin (not that hot, we're talkin' 10-15 seconds to cool down) the fittings don't even turn in the hose. I just bought the hose kit. I built the rest from Lowes. 2"pvc return and only complaint I got is the noise

Each to his own though. I'm not a water farmer by any means. This was all a big experiment for me. Good Luck whatever route you take.

If you use a pump with an inlet and outlet, run the pump outside the reservoir. That makes a huge difference in res temps.

Yes, I specifically looked for a pump that I could use inline so it wouldn't have to be located in the control bucket. It can raise the temps quite a bit and it takes up space.

I just feel more comfortable using fittings and piping that are approved for use inside of a house. If you're comfy with your set-up, that's all that matters.

Thanks for the kind words, Rosebud.

other than the few minor problems already stated, i don't like the water level that high and the reason it is that high is due to the goose neck created to exit the tent.

this is what i did several yrs ago and works great. after this run i will put it up for sale with chiller and all pumps and air stones. well this thread is gone.

https://www.marijuanapassion.com/threads/maiden-diy-uc-voyage.56133/page-2

The gooseneck is kinda weird isn't it? It can be swiveled though so that you can control the depth of the water with the angle of the gooseneck. That probably adds a lot to the noise of the system.

We'll see if we can figure out what happened to your thread.

Latest posts

Back