Opinions welcomed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lemon Jack

Above the clouds
Reaction score
Hey guys my current setup is a 3x5 room. 600 watt hps....

Right now on my first organic run. I am running ten small plants in 1 gallon containers..next run I'm wanting to switch to lower my plant count.

I was thinking maybe 5 in 3 gal smart pots. With about 2 months veg give or take a week from clone. Any ideas. I want to try to recreate the bushes I had with my dwc babies :)

have ya ran this room yet?....seem like could use more light..I like to flower in 1 gal as well as 3....seems they like the 3 gallon better as the 1 gallon requires more waterings...what strain is this and how is the stretch in flower...

take care and be safe

600w pushes out a little over 90k lumens, if I'm not mistaken. Needing 5000 lumens per sq ft in a 5x3=15sq ft, he'd need about 75,000 lumens. So, if I'm not mistaken, the math says he's lit very well for his area, right?

Only thing I can contribute is you will like the smart pots, if you decide to go with them, but you will be watering more often.

Ya I have its decent I got 15 sq ft so its slightly over 5000 lumens per sq ft.I got mult strains right now. Confidential cheese kings kush green poison and snow white.

I have ran it through dwc a whole grow and then I'm about done with the ten I mentioned earlier.

The cheese is the only one I've taken through flower. The stretch on her is bout avearge id say. Not too bad like my jack 47s were

getnasty said:
600w pushes out a little over 90k lumens, if I'm not mistaken. Needing 5000 lumens per sq ft in a 5x3=15sq ft, he'd need about 75,000 lumens. So, if I'm not mistaken, the math says he's lit very well for his area, right?

Only thing I can contribute is you will like the smart pots, if you decide to go with them, but you will be watering more often.
I thinl all he was saying is even though I meet the min requirements. Given the shape of my room and all more light really wouldn't hurt.

I do have an old 150 watt hps I don't use anymore from when I tried to run a cabinet. Maybe I could throw that in there lol.

Oh and I have a couple of one gallon smart pots too just thinking maybe bigger pot bigger plant:)

Lemon Jack said:
Oh and I have a couple of one gallon smart pots too just thinking maybe bigger pot bigger plant:)

Thats the idea, but also depends on the veg time. a 10 gallon pot wont make any difference compaired to a 3 gallon if you only veg for 6 weeks. 2 gallons per month of life of the plant is my ratio. a 10 gallon pot, taking 2 months of flowering into conserderation, should allow for up to 4 months veg for a single plant, IME. Outdoors is different because of the vast amount of natural sunlight but the basic rule still applies.

Thanks drifting. I go with a 2 month veg so I guess a three gallon should cut it a little shorter than your recomendation. I just wanted to be sure it was big enough to get the. Plants to the bush I want to grow. Maybe I should consider the 5 gallon sps ??

All Im really wanting to know is given my space and a 2 month veg time. With a fairly decent amount of traing (fim and supercropping) How many plants and what size smart pot would you reccomend.

I would think 6 plants in 3gal pots. get you some nice wide shallow totes that will fit in the space and set the plants in them to catch runoff. Make sure you have plenty of groceries for the girls as HST makes them awful hungry for the macros.

I personally like to elevate the girls on a small platform and then put drainage lines on all the totes and set up an automatic watering system. Make a nice rez and put some serious air in it and water them once a day for 10min and then catch the drainage to reuse a couple times before dumping. But that's just the way I like to do things and my soil knowledge is pretty limited. :)

i grow in a 3*5 with 1000watt light and only get about 95000 lumens at the top of the plant about 16 inches from the light. i veg to about 14 inches or about 5,6 weeks and when i have 4 plants in the room it gets real crowded real quick.i also use 4 gal pots.

I like using 5 gallon Smart Pots. They come the closest to my DWC grows.

astrobud said:
i grow in a 3*5 with 1000watt light and only get about 95000 lumens at the top of the plant about 16 inches from the light. i veg to about 14 inches or about 5,6 weeks and when i have 4 plants in the room it gets real crowded real quick.i also use 4 gal pots.
Why are you only getting 95k lumens from a 1kwatt light? that should be giving you about 140k lumens. :eek:

2 months is a long veg for clones IMO, but if ya have the room go for it.

Well i just veg through flower ya know. I try to get my cuts rooted before I flip the plants so I don't have to take them in flower. Thats what I was wondering how many id have room for. I know i vegged 2 months running my dwc buckets and I could only fit around 3 plants in my room.

I guess I could take cuts at the flip. with them taking around 2 weeks to root and start taking off. That would put me closer to a six week veg... Ah well we will see.

I can't wait to get it all dialed in so far with my 600 watter my biggest yield has been about 12.5 oz, im really really shooting for a pound. I hope in my next couple of harvests I can get closer to that number.

Hushpuppy said:
Why are you only getting 95k lumens from a 1kwatt light? that should be giving you about 140k lumens. :eek:
sorry thats per meter and you lose light the further it gets away i think

Latest posts

Back