Organic soil recycle question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm kinda studying these store bought teas myself. My tea brewing setup is left over from before and its built from a 35 gallon trash bin by Rubbermaid. I always was feeding 10-30 plants at a time. Nowadays I just want to feed 2. I'm thinking an igloo drink cooler (the big yellow ones) would make an awesome brewing vessel. The boogie brew comes in two parts and they say mix 1/2 cup of each to 5 gallons of water. Bubble for 4 hours to 48 hours and feed once every two weeks. I always fed my teas every time I watered so we will see how it goes.

That is one of my problems. I am watering about every 36 hours. Seems like that is the norm for me. With my 7 plants in 2 liter pots, 1 gallon is enough. When I go to my 3 gallon felt pots, the frequency stays similar but I was using 2 gallons for 3 pots. This grow will have 4 plants so about 2.5 gallons. I will have to make smaller batches which I know, the math is pretty easy but every 2 weeks sounds too infrequent. Maybe not though. I am still doing my thinking for now. Another thing in the back of my mind is since EM1 has some beasties that like decreased oxygenation, would using it be counterproductive?

It's hard to say what the interaction is. Do other microbes feed on the EM1 and that is the mechanism, I don't actually know. I had an excellent discussion with MassProducer about this very issue in his thread about hempy buckets, but I deleted all my responses and photos from the site when it changed ownership.

My intuition is the anaerobic microbes die off in the soil since there is oxygen in there. But I also wonder if they benefit the soil prior to dying off. I will probably never know and the answer is probably moot as it won’t help me to know the answer. If I get some tea brewing this grow, I will probably alternate tea with waterings laced with EM1 and molasses.

I use em1 in my soil a couple of weeks before I plant in it, actually when I mix it up. Occasionally I'll mix up a gallon and wet down the bin if I notice it drying out. I wasn't sure of any reason to use it after the first or second application.

I use a little bit with most waterings. I have noticed that I would see a white build up (salts even though GO nutes are ‘organic’?) on the outside of the felt pots before I began using EM1. Since I started using it, there is very little of the white build up. I am thinking that the EM1 is doing what it is supposed to do(making the macro and micro nutes more available) so the roots absorb more of what the plants need. I am also seeing ‘fade’ towards the end of flower which I had not seen in the past.

Hey St_Nick-would a small aquarium pump and air stone be sufficient to aerate a couple of gallon names of tea? Reading the Boogie Brew site, they recommend 45 l/m of air. That would be a fairly expensive pump($50 or so). I want to keep it cheap obviously. Thx...

Don't know why not, I'm using a big one with two air stones but I already had it.

Umbra, where do you come up with this stuff. You kinda reminding me of Tom Hanks buying luggage when he thinks he's gonna die from a "brain cloud"!

Thx pcduck. I skimmed over the microbeorganics website umbra references on your thread. Looks like I could use a submersible pump to create the Venturi effect but one test showed damage to the microbes but another one said an impeller won’t significantly damage the biology in the tea. Your build though I see uses an air pump similar to what 2RE linked to. I am pretty confused lately by even simple things(something medical that I won’t go into) so I will need to do some more thinking and reading.

I have the same one pcduck linked...it works well but I don’t think this is too complicated...you just need to introduce oxygen and keep things stirred up...

Latest posts

Back